Isaan town review

Sparktrader

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Sounds to me you are just looking out for women

And this is a problem, why?

I had a friend who went to Albania looking for good looking women who were, uh, open-minded and he was told that they were all in Frankfurt. Substitute Pattaya and you get my drift.

Also, the Albanian stay at homers were all pretty religious and straight arrow. Poss a similar dynamic in Issan. First rule of fishing is to go where the fish are, I mean the fish you actually want.

Can't fault your opinions otherwise. Nong Khai is a uniquely beautiful little town. I agree that the other towns are samey. Ubon has a sliver of a downtown like Chiang Mai and that's why I rate it as my fave Issan town.

You seem to have a real appreciation/affinity for Issan. Would you consider learning Issan Thai and settling there long term? When you have the ability to stay in one place for a while, that's when the good 'uns would surface.

Your pics are great. Personally tho, I could not be dragged to another Thai waterfall at gunpoint.

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

And this is a problem, why?

I had a friend who went to Albania looking for good looking women who were, uh, open-minded and he was told that they were all in Frankfurt. Substitute Pattaya and you get my drift.

Also, the Albanian stay at homers were all pretty religious and straight arrow. Poss a similar dynamic in Issan. First rule of fishing is to go where the fish are, I mean the fish you actually want.

Can't fault your opinions otherwise. Nong Khai is a uniquely beautiful little town. I agree that the other towns are samey. Ubon has a sliver of a downtown like Chiang Mai and that's why I rate it as my fave Issan town.

You seem to have a real appreciation/affinity for Issan. Would you consider learning Issan Thai and settling there long term? When you have the ability to stay in one place for a while, that's when the good 'uns would surface.

Your pics are great. Personally tho, I could not be dragged to another Thai waterfall at gunpoint.

They speak Thai fine. All gov buildings speak Thai as do all Schools and Uni. No value in Isaan language. My gf is Isaan speaks perfect Thai.

Even a 60yo Isaan woman says my Thai was easy to understand.

Live here? Perhaps. 

The fish outside Pattaya have more meat and less bones.

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

@SparktraderSo, in little more than s month since your post making enquires, you've managed to travel extensively around 4 provinces. 

You've seen all the women, been to all of the restaurants and tourist attractions, met all of the kids in the villages, been to all the bus stations, train stations at various times in a 24 hour period and discussed with all of the locals how often they see a foreigner. That's some going.

I would thing you would need at least a month in each province to have the views you have posted. Go and try again and come back with some real, more accurate analysis.

No thanks. It was just a travel review not inventing a new technology.

All the restaurants? Not logical. Many sell the same things

Kids? Bit creepy

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

People need a month in Phuket or Chiang Mai to form an opinion? 

For Chiang Mai I would think a month would be about right.

Phuket not quite so long.

That would be for  accurate reviews.

Edited by puchooay

Just now, puchooay said:

So, almost value for money.

More helpful than your negative response.

Complaining that someone doesnt like a city as much as you do is like complaining someone likes burgers more than pizza.

Perhaps you could write a detailed review of each city.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Complaining that someone doesnt like a city as much as you do is like complaining someone likes burgers more than pizza.

I did no such thing.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Perhaps you could write a detailed review of each city.

When I have stayed in each province, not city, long enough I will attempt to do so.

4 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Chiang Khan is probably one of Thai peoples go to places in the whole of Issaan and the drive along the Mekong to Nong Kai is beautiful 

Indeed,a very unusual place vs a typical Thai town and especially on the weekend during the market.Fully concur regarding the drive along the Mekong! 

14 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Khon Kaen - town looks good, Central Plaza is great. Transport poor.

Thank you for your comments regarding Khon Kaen and with respect, I disagree with some. First, may I ask how long you stayed in the City? I was a resident in Khon Kaen Province for 6 years and regularly visited the city. I was  a Volunteer with the Tourist Police based in the city and regularly attended festivals, meetings, incidents and helped man the TP desk at the airport. As such, I found most local people very welcoming and friendly - not cold! 

Regarding public transport, there are numerous taxis and tuk-tuks frequently plying the City. As for the railway station, I have no idea as I used my own vehicle when visiting. There is a public City bus service as shown below:-

busstop.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you for your comments regarding Khon Kaen and with respect, I disagree with some. First, may I ask how long you stayed in the City? I was a resident in Khon Kaen Province for 6 years and regularly visited the city. I was  a Volunteer with the Tourist Police based in the city and regularly attended festivals, meetings, incidents and helped man the TP desk at the airport. As such, I found most local people very welcoming and friendly - not cold! 

Regarding public transport, there are numerous taxis and tuk-tuks frequently plying the City. As for the railway station, I have no idea as I used my own vehicle when visiting. There is a public City bus service as shown below:-

busstop.png

Yes its poor. Zero taxis outside central day and night. Zero tuk tuks or taxis outside train station.

Rang 2 taxi companies. They werent much help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Zero taxis outside central day and night

Regretfully you must have been unlucky. There is an official taxi rank on an access road alongside Highway 2 and situated at the west end of Central Plaza (looking towards the main entrance). Always busy with shoppers etc. during my visits.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

People need a month in Phuket or Chiang Mai to form an opinion? A week is enough. Udon has less attractions. 

I agreed with a month for  Chiang Mai. Less for Phuket. So..........

Right so you got 77 years to cover Thailand and 770 years for 10 countries.

I don't understand your maths.