Isaan town review

Sparktrader

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I agreed with a month for  Chiang Mai. Less for Phuket. So..........

I don't understand your maths.

Simple really. Avg yearly holiday 1 month or less. 77 holidays in 77 years cover 77 provinces. Not rocket science. Otherwise holiday non stop 6.4 years straight.

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Regretfully you must have been unlucky. There is an official taxi rank on an access road alongside Highway 2 and situated at the west end of Central Plaza (looking towards the main entrance). Always busy with shoppers etc. during my visits.

Tuk tuks only. Went 3 times.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Simple really. Avg yearly holiday 1 month or less. 77 holidays in 77 years cover 77 provinces. Not rocket science. Otherwise holiday non stop 6.4 years straight.

But I'm in holiday all the time. That brings your averages up a bit.

Add to that there care only 76 provinces in Thailand, your averages will go up again.

Edited by puchooay

30 minutes ago, puchooay said:

But I'm in holiday all the time. That brings your averages up a bit.

Add to that there care only 76 provinces in Thailand, your averages will go up again.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-The-seventy-seven-provinces-of-Thailand-1-Bangkok-2-Angthong-3-Ayuttaya-4_fig2_332379814

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Bangkok is not a province. It is a Special Adminitrative Area. 

A province has a governor, is made up of Ampher districts which are further divided into Tambon sub districts.

Bangkok has a Mayor and is separated into Khet districts.

I little bit more research and you would have found that out.

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

"Joined January 4, 2009"

Yet in 13.5 years you still havent done 77 provinces.

Your story doesnt add up.

You are assuming a great deal. Even to the point that you think I joined this forum the same day I entered Thailand. 5555

Funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

KK looks great but with next to no tourists the locals seem suprised you are even there. Zero taxis or tuk tuks await a major train, thats weird to me. 

KK looks terrible, the ugliest place i know in Thailand. 

People however are great.  Thats why I have spent there maybe more time than anywhere else in Thailand.

One big advantage of KK is their well functioning network of public transport,  even with a map.

But, someone who finds Central great, obviously has a different world view from mine, and certainly won't find said map.

PS just discovered another poster wrote similar things, should have read the whole thread before writing

Edited by Lorry

5 hours ago, BonMot said:

A harem to come rushing up to him like he's a movie star.

When I first came here in 1992 I only spent the night in BKK and circuited out of Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar. Just reading Lonely Planet told me the place was over traveled. By the time I did Thailand in 96 I found it just that. CM was totally unimpressed as was all the ancient ruins save for the two Khmer temples in issarn.

I was under 40. Issarn was ok but getting about a chore. Always found the people friendly.

I personally wouldn't go back to live. Bangkok has few amenities but I like the subway and convenience. In another ten years maybe good doctors will be a concern.

Issarn is quite poor and after decades of travel in LDCs I just don't need to be in the middle of that any more.

I think Angeles, Philippines is really what the OP is after. Dumb, desperate women, English speaking and western food.

Your comments say more about you than Thailand. Easy to move around Isaan. Bangkok has very few tourists outside 3 or 4 zones. Bkk has great doctors and dentists. CM is overtouristed in city but much of the countryside isnt.

Phils has terrible food, I speak Thai and cannot stand the Phils accent. I think Phils is great for you.

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

KK looks terrible, the ugliest place i know in Thailand. 

People however are great.  Thats why I have spent there maybe more time than anywhere else in Thailand.

One big advantage of KK is their well functioning network of public transport,  even with a map.

But, someone who finds Central great, obviously has a different world view from mine, and certainly won't find said map.

PS just discovered another poster wrote similar things, should have read the whole thread before writing

Central Plaza there is very good. One of the best shopping centres in the country. 100 beers, good food court. Nice and clean. I do worry about your judgement.

KK is far more organised and clean than 90% of Thai towns or cities (Ive been to 50).

There's a character on YouTube who has visited and reviewed all Provinces travelling on a small scooter. He has also ventured into neighboring SEA countries.

Obviously, his visits are somewhat fleeting in many of the places but do provide an insight into the main towns and their attractions.

His vids may be of interest to some here.

Paddy Doyle - YouTube

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I think Phils is great for you.

I agree. That's because in the thirty years I've spent in East Asia three weeks set aside for Phil's and I left in two never to return. You're genius at reading people. Oh, I'm married to a Thai and we've been together 12 years. 

Looking at your dozens of posts and this one .. In the end (shortly) you'll head back to Pattaya and that will be that. Why delay?

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

KK has a university - a college town...

Khon Kaen fairly decent uni as far as provincial Thailand goes. Decent medical school as well. Draws best from top secondary schools as a back up (med school).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I agree. That's because in the thirty years I've spent in East Asia three weeks set aside for Phil's and I left in two never to return. You're genius at reading people. Oh, I'm married to a Thai and we've been together 12 years. 

Looking at your dozens of posts and this one .. In the end (shortly) you'll head back to Pattaya and that will be that. Why delay?

Havent been to Pattaya for 16 years. Sounds like you know it better than me.

12 years isnt much.

7 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Is there really any need to??? What are you hoping to achieve???

Its a forum. It isnt that important. What you hoping to achieve? Just talk.

The point of a forum is talk. I don't know why people get angry on a forum at strangers for liking different things. Not logical.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There's a character on YouTube who has visited and reviewed all Provinces travelling on a small scooter. He has also ventured into neighboring SEA countries.

Obviously, his visits are somewhat fleeting in many of the places but do provide an insight into the main towns and their attractions.

His vids may be of interest to some here.

Paddy Doyle - YouTube

Very shallow stuff. Mostly drama about a small scooter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

That sounds like cos it isn't about you...........????

In fact, I find your assumptions/views on places somewhat  shallow....????

Nothing to do with me. Your views are about you. 

Given your comments on covid and lack of reading Im happy you disagree with me.

Id rather look at the real world for ideas.

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I've been to all those cities.

All of them have great qualities.

Udon Thani and Khon Kaen are actually livable.

Nong Khai needs a Central or Robinsons to stay relative.  Seems a little run down.

IMO. 

Centrals are good malls. Udon looks run down, Central and having an airport main positives.

A Central in NK could happen. They tend to look at population numbers.

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Nothing to do with me. Your views are about you. 

Given your comments on covid and lack of reading Im happy you disagree with me.

Id rather look at the real world for ideas.

Covid..................????.....................????

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Do you ever not troll? Ive never seen a genuine post from you. Not one. 

Not seen a positive comment either.

Always trolling or complaining.

What, not one out of my 74,000 posts................????.....................????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Centrals are good malls. Udon looks run down, Central and having an airport main positives.

A Central in NK could happen. They tend to look at population numbers.

And Udon Thani is just 45 minutes drive.

Udon Thani has a lot of Universities and bustling shopping district, UD Town, Great health care facilities. 

I think they were expecting more business from the bridge to Nong Khai. That really never materialized.

While pretty with the river there's really not much to do. 

Most people bypass it and head to Udon Thani or Khon Kaen.