Spending the required 800,000 Baht for retirement visa.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:11 PM, DrJack54 said:

You misunderstood me.

I'm not taking about the rogue offices that do a 3 month check after extention granted.

I was referring to when someone applies for their 12 month extension the bankbook is carefully examined to make sure requirements were met.

Absolutely.

But this notion it's checked post 90 days after the extension?? Or that one must keep the account topped up to some mystery formula? No.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
A derogatory comment has been removed

2 minutes ago, BonMot said:

This is not correct nor has been for ten years.

Photocopied bank book WITH a bank letter.

Read my posts carefully..

I was not referring to bank letter that's a given.

I was stating that CW will accept photocopies of bank bank pages and not require 12 month bank statements 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

That is completely incorrect.

Please do not post information that is so wrong.

For money in the bank method immigration is meticulous in checking requirements have been adhered to for previous months back to last extension. 

I disagree entirely.

Three (2-3) months or whatever the time that is written in their documentation.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
A derogatory comment has been removed

2 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Absolutely.

But this notion it's checked post 90 days after the extension?? Or that one must keep the account topped up to some mystery formula? No.

Perhaps in leper colony Pattaya, jomtien but this is not SOP and it's not published. It's rogue.

Stop.

Even at Jomtien in reality the "3 month check" is not done by everyone and they obtain their extensions when account is checked. 

9 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I do the same as you but I don't understand the issue with spending money down.

For a number of reasons perhaps he doesn't want to have that sort of money in the country or as little as possible.

It does not at all mean that the individual doesn't have the money.

You may be right, the OP did speak of topping up before the two month period prior to extension date.

He still has to have the 800k showing in the account for five months, I just think it's not worth the hassle.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stop.

Even at Jomtien in reality the "3 month check" is not done by everyone and they obtain their extensions when account is checked. 

Exactly.

First, this appears to be a jomtien, Pattaya immigration lark not a RTP national policy.

It's not always done - which I guess is a weird way of saying it's ONLY sometimes done...In Jomtien.

This is not immigration policy. I defy you you pull down such a statement on the official immigration website.

So, link please.

Edited by BonMot

On 9/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Lacessit said:

You may be right, the OP did speak of topping up before the two month period prior to extension date.

He still has to have the 800k showing in the account for five months, I just think it's not worth the hassle.

Five months?? No, it's three before and one after while waiting for a stamp. I think retirees get the stamp immediately but I'm not sure there. Five months??

I agree as well. For me it's 400k and I just let it sit.

No one checks lol.

What they might do is check your book well after the fact - months. Just to hassle you and maybe fine you but this is not RTP national policy.

Anyone rec'd a call and warning at six month mark their balance dropped below xyz? Of course not. The rogue offices look at this when you apply again - tsk tsk tsk you pay farang.

There is no limit one must keep an account I'm aware of after the extension is proffered. Yeah, we heard that wives tale about 90 days post but it's just blah blah.

Unfortunately, each office can do as they please.

Edited by BonMot
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There is a immigration order that went into effect in March of 2019 that requires the 800k baht to be in the bank for 2 months before the application and then 3 months after you do the application and the 400k baht until you top it up to 800k baht.

Very well. I stand corrected.

Apologies@DrJack54

37 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I bet you can spend it all down as long as you are good to go 3 months before you make your extension all topped up.

I think wives tales and fish stories get started here and people just run with it.

Do what you have betted on and come back to report a successful extension.  The forumers here will accord you bragging rights.

1 minute ago, Kopitiam said:

Do what you have betted on and come back to report a successful extension.  The forumers here will accord you bragging rights.

I'm on a marriage visa. I've had two issues in ten years neither related to bank books or money. Niggling details.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Never heard of an office NOT checking.

Aso pretty meticulous about it. 

You mean AFTER extension? Are you serious? I never bothered about it. However, I've always left the country right after extension, or at the most 2 months after extension. So whenever I dipped under 800k that was when I was out of the country or very close to leaving. That may be neither here nor there as far as Immigration is concerned though.

Edited by JackGats

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

You man AFTER extension? Are you serious? I never bothered about it before. However, I've always left the country right after extension, or at the most 2 months after extension. So whenever I dipped under 800k that was when I was out of the country or very close to leaving. That may be neither here nor there as far as Immigration is concerned though.

Being in or out of the country has zip to do with the financial requirements using money in the bank method.

When you apply for the next extension your bank records will be checked back to your last extension to make sure you have followed the rules.

Which part don't you understand. 

Think you may be caught up in the 3 month check that couple of rogue offices ask for.

Jomtien being one.

That's irrelevant you don't even need to do that. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Being in or out of the country has zip to do with the financial requirements using money in the bank method.

When you apply for the next extension your bank records will be checked back to your last extension to make sure you have followed the rules.

Which part don't you understand. 

They check behind our back with the bank then. Do they pay the banks for that? Because if you want bank statements from the bank that go back 12 months, you have to pay the bank more the the puny 100 Baht for a letter.

When I apply I only bring the bank letter + my bank books with updates over 3 months showing the account has been at 800k+ since 3 months. I remember the agency saying "you can spend it all after you've got the extension".

6 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I remember the agency saying "you can spend it all after you've got the extension".

Cannot follow your posts.

Now you refer to agency.

Yes you can spend it all after you have obtained your extension.

The thing is you won't be able to obtain your next extension.

The thread is not about agent assisted extensions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

Five months?? No, it's three before and one after while waiting for a stamp. I think retirees get the stamp immediately but I'm not sure there. Five months??

Of course in the chonburi leper colony anything is possible.

I agree as well. For me it's 400k and I just let it sit.

I'm no expert, don't have to be. Having said that, I was under the impression the requirement was 2 months prior to extension, three months after. Perhaps one of the more learned posters can confirm.

As a retiree, I get the extension stamp the day after application.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Having said that, I was under the impression the requirement was 2 months prior to extension, three months after.

Indeed it's a cycle.

800k 2 months prior maintained for 3 months after extention granted and must be not less than 400k at other times 

The requirements are carefully checked by immigration when you apply for subsequent extension.

Some folk opt to maintain 800k year round to avoid any slip ups.

Immigration are strict on it in most cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BonMot said:

Absolutely.

Perhaps in leper colony Pattaya, jomtien but this is not SOP and it's not published. It's rogue.

OP

The bottom line is that the rules say that you have to have 800 2 months before and 3 months after. after the 3 months, you can drop it down to 400

Do all imm offices check all the time.  Probably not.  BUT does that mean the rules are different NO.

Just like anything people in Thailand can do what they want.

BUT If you do not follow the rules, you're taking a chance that the powers that be are not going to clamp down and make sure of the amounts.

This thread is what is required not what you can get away with.

If you do not play the game they have the right to say so sorry bye bye.

It was precisely people doing what they wanted that cost everyone except Canucks and a few chosen few the ability to do the monthly check with letters.

I can tell you that PT IMM even though I have the letter still looks at my monthly statements to see that I have every month received the required payments

• Like 1

5 hours ago, loveushorttime said:

Sorry how does getting a visa agent change what you need in a bank account here ?

Because agents fabricate the bank documents out of thin air.

I use an agent mainly because I prefer to have my X00,000 baht invested in mutual funds in the home country, not in a Thai  bank account earning somewhere between zero and 0.01% interest. 

The interest earned in a real investment more than makes up for the cost of an agent, and the fact that dealing with an agent is faster and less stressful is a sweetener.

• Like 1