Is this monthly electric charge reasonable?

JimmerJJ

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not legal to overcharge on the electricity bill, it may be done by many owners but it is not legal.

As LL wrote above - its not illegal for the owner to charge whatever they like in a Condo or house - that said, it seems more common that they just charge the government rate. 

It is illegal charge more than the government rate in apartments (of 5 or more units), it is also common for owners of Apartment complexes to charge more than the government rate (sometimes up to double).

33 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

as are very many condo livers.  Once you add security and maintenance charges to the rent, its just one more reason, among many others, that i would never live in a condo again.  

I have a rented condo, pay MEA electricity rate plus the water bill, that's it, the owner pays the maintenance and any other charge.  Not every condo is a bad deal.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not legal to overcharge on the electricity bill, it may be done by many owners but it is not legal.

As LL wrote above - its not illegal for the owner to charge whatever they like in a Condo or house - that said, it seems more common that they just charge the government rate. 

I did not write that.  It is illegal for owners renting their places to overcharge on the electricity rate.   

Regarding electricity usage: 

We have 7 AC units in our house ranging from 9000 to 18,000 BTU depending on the room. 

Unless we are out, there is at least 1 AC on all the time - either bedroom or living room. 

At night there is always two AC’s on (our BR and Sons). 

In the day time there (when in) there is Always at least one AC on, often two it its hot (to AC’s in a large high ceiling living room / dining room) and sometimes the AC in the joining kitchen when cooking.

Our bill is usually about 6500 baht per month (I’m not sure of the exact usage) - but it seems reasonable given the amount we use. 

Two Fridges (one large one medium).

Oven cooker (which we use at least 2 times per week). 

Hob cooker (also used a lot). 

Washing Machine and Tumble drier used multiple times per-week.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, FritsSikkink said:

6k is way to much, i only pay that in April / May and have 4 aircons running. I pay directly to energy company.

Thanks for the info. I wish I could pay directly to the MEA.  The front living room is surrounded on 2 sides by big windows that open.  So maybe it's not energy efficient too.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, KhunLA said:

6k actually sounds about right.  Not hard to imagine you using 750 unit X 8 = 6000

PEA charge would be ฿4,097.31

If the landlord is charging Bht8 per unit, and PEAs rate is Bht 4 per unit, would the Bht6k bill not be 3k if paid directly to PEA, and not Bht 4k as you suggest.

As a previous post said, Bht 6000 / 8 = 750 units. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:14 AM, Lorry said:

Kwonitoy and Dr Tom probably pay PEA/MEA rate. 

You pay 8B, which is almost double. This is legal,  very normal (one poster pays 7B, he is a lucky guy) and probably also reasonable (the reasons why this is reasonable are explained by some posters in another thread about this subject).

The consumption is all from the  a/c. And these look terribly old to me. Crossy will know better. 

7 years ago I rented a place with big antique a/c like this. 45 sqm, 6000 B for electricity.

A friend of mine has about 60sqm, old a/c. MEA rate. Easily runs up 4000 or 5000B.

Ask some lo-so Thais,  factory workers or prostitutes, the kind of people who live in 1-room apartments,  about electricity bills. You will hear many horror stories.  Old a/c, 8B: electric is often higher then rent. 

You are probably not taken advantage of. If you want it cheaper rent a condo where you pay MEA rate. 

BTW living in a hiso area but complaining about electricity?

I'm not complaining just trying to figure out if I'm getting ripped off.  I've learned a lot just from this thread that there are a lot of variances.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:14 AM, Lorry said:

Kwonitoy and Dr Tom probably pay PEA/MEA rate. 

You pay 8B, which is almost double. This is legal,  very normal (one poster pays 7B, he is a lucky guy) and probably also reasonable (the reasons why this is reasonable are explained by some posters in another thread about this subject).

The consumption is all from the  a/c. And these look terribly old to me. Crossy will know better. 

7 years ago I rented a place with big antique a/c like this. 45 sqm, 6000 B for electricity.

A friend of mine has about 60sqm, old a/c. MEA rate. Easily runs up 4000 or 5000B.

Ask some lo-so Thais,  factory workers or prostitutes, the kind of people who live in 1-room apartments,  about electricity bills. You will hear many horror stories.  Old a/c, 8B: electric is often higher then rent. 

You are probably not taken advantage of. If you want it cheaper rent a condo where you pay MEA rate. 

BTW living in a hiso area but complaining about electricity?

I'm not complaining just trying to figure out if I'm getting ripped off.  I've learned a lot just from this thread that there are a lot of variances.

16 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

Thanks for the info. I wish I could pay directly to the MEA.  The front living room is surrounded on 2 sides by big windows that open.  So maybe it's not energy efficient too.

Thick curtains make a difference.