Farang in Hat Yai?

Adam219

I've been in Hat Yai for 5 days now, I've literally seen 2 other farang in total and they were together.

It's not like i've been hiding away either, i've been around various parts of the city.

So, where are you? ????

I almost feel like a celebrity here

edit: why is the line above in bold?

Edited by Adam219
weird highlighting of last line

been there a few times and literally i am the only white person. 

I kinda like it, especially as im considering hat yai as somewhere I could live as I really like it's quietness right now, despite having so much food, coffee and bars. 

What attacted you that far south?

9 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

I kinda like it, especially as im considering hat yai as somewhere I could live as I really like it's quietness right now, despite having so much food, coffee and bars.

i lived in hat yai from 2003 to 2008. love the place. 

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

i lived in hat yai from 2003 to 2008. love the place. 

What is it you love about it?

it's a shame that I only came here 5 days ago, after 30 months in Thailand. I've been wondering where to stop and live and I think this place suits me well. But unfortunately my time is up and I need to leave and come back with a different visa.

• Like 1

I've been here the better part of 17 years and farang have always been few a far between. You'll usually find a few, mainly teachers, at The Swan on a weekend, and occasionally in the Post Laser. Unless people are working here, or marriage has brought them here, it's not really on the map for westerners, except for passing traffic on visa runs or off to the islands.

Not something I miss.

17 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

What is it you love about it?

decent size city

close to the border

close to the islands

very few foreigners

more of a laidback thai kind of life

great chicken

international airport

less pollution than many areas of thailand

was there a year or so ago and now there is way more things for foreigners. restaurants and food. central. etc. but still has the feel of small town thailand. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I would think most farang, like myself, would be put off by the threat of violence,

It's been very quiet in Hat Yai, nothing since 2014, I've listed the terrorist incidents below. Security is far more apparent in Hat Yai then most cities in Thailand, so it's probably safer for that. We moved here just after the bombing in 2005, never felt overly concerned, mindful, but never been worried.

2018 December 27th : Two pipe bombs exploded on Samila Beach at 10pm damaging the Songkhla Mermaid statue. Police searching the area the following day discovered a further 3 unexploded devices in locations along the beach front.

2014 May 6th : Three improvised explosive devices exploded roughly seven minutes apart wounding eight people. One near police flats, one by a 7-11, one near the railway station.

2012 March 31st : Car bomb explosion in the basement Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel damaged that building and an adjacent McDonald's in Hat Yai, killing four and leaving 416 wounded, mainly from smoke inhalation.

2007 May 27th : Seven explosions that injured 13 people. Most of the bombs were hidden in garbage bins and detonated nearly at the same time starting 9.00 pm. But one bomb was hurled into JB Hat Yai Hotel and another exploded in front of Hat Yai Garden Hotel.

2006 September 16th : The attack consisted of six bombs which were detonated at around 9:30 pm in the Ocean Department Store, in front of the Brown Sugar Pub, a car parking building, Big C shopping mall, the Lee Garden Hotel and Diana Department Store. The bombs were planted on motorcycles and were triggered by mobile phone. Four people were killed and 82 were injured.

2005 April 3rd : Three explosions took place between 8:00 to 8:30 pm. A bomb planted in a garbage bin exploded in front of a Carrefour department store in Hat Yai, injuring five and causing minor damage to the building. Shortly after that, a bomb inside a bag exploded at the departure hall of Hat Yai International Airport, killing two and injuring 47. Lastly, a bomb planted on a motorcycle exploded in front of Green World Hotel in Songkhla without causing any injuries or deaths nor damage to the building.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's been very quiet in Hat Yai, nothing since 2014, I've listed the terrorist incidents below. Security is far more apparent in Hat Yai then most cities in Thailand, so it's probably safer for that. We moved here just after the bombing in 2005, never felt overly concerned, mindful, but never been worried.

I agree completely. I've been living in Hat Yai since 2015 and never felt anything but safe.

• Like 1

WARNING: Because of politically-motivated violent incidents and violent crime taking place on nearly a daily basis, the Thai Government has warned tourists not to travel to Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, or Yala provinces, including the city of Hat Yai.
Government travel advisories

(Information last updated 01 Nov 2021)

What do you make of the above?  From top of Wikivoyage site for Hat Yai.

12 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

WARNING: Because of politically-motivated violent incidents and violent crime taking place on nearly a daily basis, the Thai Government has warned tourists not to travel to Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, or Yala provinces, including the city of Hat Yai.

What do you make of the above?  From top of Wikivoyage site for Hat Yai.

"[...] the Thai government has warned tourists not to travel to [...] Hat Yai".

Really? I find that hard to believe.

Really? I find that hard to believe.

•  

More to be feared than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.

Is problem your inability to believe or lack of info?  If latter:

Check Canada and New Zealand references linked above and google Barisan national Malay movement or South Thailand insurgency.

I've always liked Hat Yai.  And the south in general.  Once south of Chumphon it feels like a different country. 

3 hours ago, habuspasha said:

This would have been more relevant in the '00s.  The unpleasantness in Tak Bai made things worse, and the then PM attended an ASEAN conference and did announce "anyone mentions Tak Bai and I'm walking out!"

You may have noticed there is a wall around the Hat Yai bus depot, this was built after 2005 or so in response to the terrorism.  I see it as a sad monument.

7 hours ago, Stocky said:

2012 March 31st : Car bomb explosion in the basement Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel damaged that building and an adjacent McDonald's in Hat Yai, killing four and leaving 416 wounded, mainly from smoke inhalation.

I was there on the day this happened, heading to Malaysia.  It happened in the downtown area, and I stayed near the big bus station so it was not a close call for me.

As for being a farang, I've never been hassled or given the stink-eye, and I appreciate that I don't think I ever got that stop and stare from people who've never seen one before; I know it's harmless but it makes me uncomfortable. 

I've never been to the beaches on the Gulf side, but I know the Andaman side can be quite nice, particularly the offshore islands. 

One of the hazards of hotels there is busloads of Malaysians on weekend excursions and holidays, and they'll leave the doors to the rooms open so the hall becomes part of their space.  If you want a peaceful stay too bad.

10 hours ago, Adam219 said:

So, where are you

Go to Songkla, lots over there. A short drive east, on the beach, lovely place. 

What are you doing in Hat Yai, I thought us foreigners only went there for flights. 

That was enough for me, didn't like Hat Yai, awful, get out of there. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

As soon as anyone mentions Hat Yai ... it's like '   yikes .. no thanks. 

Too dangerous that's for sure ....   nothing might happen for years,  but then all of a sudden it could be a shopping mall or a crowed market.

no way ...

I think many farang feel the same way I do.

10 hours ago, Stocky said:

2006 September 16th : The attack consisted of six bombs which were detonated at around 9:30 pm in the Ocean Department Store, in front of the Brown Sugar Pub, a car parking building, Big C shopping mall, the Lee Garden Hotel and Diana Department Store. The bombs were planted on motorcycles and were triggered by mobile phone. Four people were killed and 82 were injured.

i called my friend jessie and told him that i needed to smoke a joint and shower. this made another friend and i about 5 to 10 minutes late........

jessie walked out of the swan and went across the street to see what had happened after the first bomb went off. thats when other bombs went off in front of brown sugar etc. he had no chance. 

i arrived on the main road a few minutes later. fires and smoke and commotion all over the place. looked like a movie scene was too surreal. one of the most vivid memories of my life to this day.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

As soon as anyone mentions Hat Yai ... it's like '   yikes .. no thanks. 

Too dangerous that's for sure ....   nothing might happen for years,  but then all of a sudden it could be a shopping mall or a crowed market.

no way ...

I think many farang feel the same way I do.

Many do, but thankfully not everyone.

Malaysians don't seem to have a problem visiting at all, considering their large numbers, with them being the no.1 largest demographic that visit Thailand.

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That was enough for me, didn't like Hat Yai, awful, get out of there. 

Splendid, I'm happy you don't like the place ????

10 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Is problem your inability to believe or lack of info?  If latter:

Check Canada and New Zealand references linked above and google Barisan national Malay movement or South Thailand insurgency.

I suspect it's very much the other way around. The Thai government has never suggested tourists not visit the south, though various foreign governments have. The UK advisory against travel in the south covers Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, plus southern Songkhla province, south of the highway 42 and east of highway 4, so that excludes Hat Yai, Songkhla Town and the western part of the province leading to the border with Malaysia.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That whole awful region is 'Little Malaysia'

I don't know where you're living, but IMHO the region is the most beautiful part of Thailand, safe for perhaps the far north.

I love the multicultural vibe, seeing mosques next to temples and hearing the Malay language. I purposefully chose this place to live and teach, and I never listened to the travel advisories. I'd rather make up my own mind.

I love Malaysia too, btw.

• Like 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

You soon get fed up with those before dawn, hideous noises coming from those mosque's. 

My nearest mosque is 200m away line of sight, the call to prayer merely marks my day. I find the Adhan rather soothing, we are fortunate to have muezzin with a good voice. I lived three years in Malaysia and worked eight years in Indonesia. With a few exceptions, hotels next to mosques or locations with too many competing mosques, it's not something that's bothered me, I sleep through the dawn prayers.

14 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

I love the multicultural vibe

Indeed, that's one of the attractions of Hat Yai, the mix of Thai, Malay and Chinese cultures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stocky said:
47 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's bloody annoying.

As noted in another topic you seem to be easily annoyed

I reckon I'm normal. 

Like most people I get annoyed when woken unnecessarily. 

It's bloody rude and selfish to make that racket when people are sleeping. 

• Thanks 1

I lived in Hatyai almost 3 years and recently moved away. There are many foreigners but most don't venture out a lot. In my condo building alone there were 5 or 6. 

Before covid Hatyai was a friendly place.

Since covid fear and racism in Hatyai is bigger than anywhere else and people would hold their masks when they say us. We also had a woman scream at the driver of a songtaew we were on saying "foreigners shouldn't be allowed". Another Chinese restaurant wouldn't let us sit inside. 

I think after a few months you will hate the place