Farang in Hat Yai?

Adam219

Honestly, I had no idea about the risk of violence or bombings in Hat Yai, it has never come up in conversations with locals in Lipe or Here in Hat Yai over the last 6 weeks.

I've certainly not felt at risk in any way whatsoever, although this thread does explain the armed checkpoint when entering the city. But Phuket has one of those, so it didnt really register.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

When I was there everyone thought I was the greatest person ever!   I wished I never saw another falang……..then I realized I wasn’t fluent in Thai and friends who can speak English is healthy.    

Yes, this is my experience currently. Everyone is nicer than normal to me, from extra food, free drinks and just people generally going out of their way to be polite. More so than in any other part of Thailand I've been in. I'm not sure how that will feel longer term, but right now it's great.

14 hours ago, habuspasha said:

What do you make of the above? 

The UK FCO website posts the following map as a guide as to where you might consider avoiding. As you can see Hat Yai and Songkhla Town excluded from the "all but essential travel" area.

My own personal experience of 17 years in Hat Yai has been positive, but as with anywhere you think to travel it's down to your own personal risk assessment. 

FCDO__TA__040_-_Thailand_Travel_Advice_Ed2__WEB_.jpg.5bc7d4df1e55f04b5e10e1f53c833640.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Really? I find that hard to believe.

•  

More to be feared than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.

Is problem your inability to believe or lack of info?  If latter:

Check Canada and New Zealand references linked above and google Barisan national Malay movement or South Thailand insurgency.

Apparently my problem seems to be my inability to be understood correctly.

To clarify my original comment: While I'm perfectly aware of foreign travel advisories recommending that the southern provinces should be avoided, I do find it hard to believe that the Thai government should have issued warnings that tourists should not travel to Hat Yai.

Have lived in Hatyai for close to 20 years. There are at least a few hundred teachers in and around town; but they rotate quite a lot. Some long stayers; busy stay for a year (or a few) before moving on. 

Places like The Swan and The Post are not popular anymore, except for a handful barflies. 

There are a couple of Facebook groups that will give you an idea of the number of foreigners and where they might hang out. 

As for the dangers of living in Hatyai/Songkhla; you’ll have a bigger change of drunk Somchai killing you with his truck than you have of being affected by “terrorists” (when bombs that more resemble home made fireworks than actual explosive devices intent to kill or damage).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjnaus said:

the dangers of living in Hatyai/Songkhla; you’ll have a bigger change of drunk Somchai killing you

Poor example.

You could apply to living in a war zone, like Ukraine and getting killed by drunk driving Somchai. 

Lots and lots of drunk Somchai's on our roads. 

BTW, you've got to separate Hat Yai and Songkla. 

Songkla is so much safer and much, much nicer place to live. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Been around here for a very long time..also in Songkla .(my current abode)

Most farangs don't go out much...old age, or teaching. ..too lazy ..or no barflies.

Plus.. there's f-all to do in the streets 

Most shops deserted or closed....masked and fearful sheeple...not a fun place.

You have to make your own entertainment here 

If someone enquires abt how I fill those endless hours I might elaborate..????????????

Edited by VinnieK

Hat Yai is rather a marmite (vegemite) city, people either like it or they don't. It's a new town, it came into existence with the railway, so its history is barely 100 years old. A modern commercial city with little history or charm, like new towns the world over. So not on the itinerary of tourists seeking ancient temples, crooked streets and old city walls.

However, as a place to live and raise a family it's ideal. The things that attracted us to Hat Yai were/are as follows:

• Not too big, not too small
  • The locals are friendly, though it helps the wife has family connections here
  • Affordable housing; rent or buy
  • Good shopping, you can find everything you want; major chains and local stores
  • Excellent food, good variety of restaurants and cuisines
  • Good nightlife (though not if you're preference is for a-go-go bars)
  • Easy to get around, good public transport
  • Good choice of hospitals
  • International airport connections via Bangkok, KL and Singapore
  • Good air quality most of the year round
  • Not too far from the beach

We considered Songkhla when we were looking for a place to live, and whilst it's nice for a weekend visit, it is rather like 'Eastbourne on a Sunday' for most of the week.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thumbs Up 2