International Driving Permit (IDP) 1968 or 1949?

indyo

18 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

No, they don't.

They do.

However, it is very difficult to tell without looking at documentation (e.g., passport) how long one has been in the country.  So, if when stopped by police you show your valid foreign driver's license and your valid International Driver's Permit, it's very unlikely that police will ask to see your passport which would show when you entered Thailand in order to calculate if you have been in the country for fewer than 90 days.

Nevertheless, if there were a significant accident or other reason for the police and/or insurance companies to investigate further, I don't doubt that they could access information showing when you entered Thailand to determine if you were driving legally or not.  It's worthwhile to obtain a Thai driver's license if you are going to be in Thailand for longer than 90 days so that you will be legally licensed while driving.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

No, they don't.

Foriengners of needing a Thai DL if staying and driving in Thailand longer than 90 days  has been the consensus for many years on Thaivisa now Aseannow and along come you and disagree, what do they require then.? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I thought, legally, we have to carry it at all times.

My understanding is that you can be asked by police to produce it.  If you have it on you then obviously it's easy for you to produce it.  If you instead have paper or electronic (say on your smartphone) copies with you then you can provide the information that would be on your actual passport and often I imagine that would be sufficient.  If they insist on seeing the actual passport you would need to produce that, which might involve asking someone to retrieve it from your home, for example.  It's best to have copies of it on you, to avoid this unlikely possibility.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, skatewash said:

They do.

However, it is very difficult to tell without looking at documentation (e.g., passport) how long one has been in the country.  So, if when stopped by police you show your valid foreign driver's license and your valid International Driver's Permit, it's very unlikely that police will ask to see your passport which would show when you entered Thailand in order to calculate if you have been in the country for fewer than 90 days.

Nevertheless, if there were a significant accident or other reason for the police and/or insurance companies to investigate further, I don't doubt that they could access information showing when you entered Thailand to determine if you were driving legally or not.  It's worthwhile to obtain a Thai driver's license if you are going to be in Thailand for longer than 90 days so that you will be legally licensed while driving.

Yes it is mainly know you have to leave Thailand and come back again to get your 90 day start date in your Passport.

The main advice to get a Thai DL is if there is a serious road accident it's the insurance side of things that can become a problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Foriengners of needing a Thai DL if staying and driving in Thailand longer than 90 days  has been the consensus for many years on Thaivisa now Aseannow and along come you and disagree, what do they require then.? 

Who is "they"? In your previous post you were talking about the DLT. The DLT has nothing to do with foreign driving licenses / foreign IDPs.

Just because some people agree on something doesn't make it right. If you join a flat earth group you will find many people who agree that the earth is flat, does that mean it really is?

2 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Who is "they"? In your previous post you were talking about the DLT. The DLT has nothing to do with foreign driving licenses / foreign IDPs.

Just because some people agree on something doesn't make it right. If you join a flat earth group you will find many people who agree that the earth is flat, does that mean it really is?

Of course the DLT has a very important process to arrange for foreign country DL's like yours to produce your Countries valid DL accompanied with an IDP unless it is a UK photocard DL to be able to give you a Thai 2 year DL if you intend staying in Thailand for more than 90 days. Ask them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Of course the DLT has a very important process to arrange for foreign country DL's like yours to produce your Countries valid DL accompanied with an IDP unless it is a UK photocard DL to be able to give you a Thai 2 year DL if you intend staying in Thailand for more than 90 days. Ask them. 

This thread is about using an IDP (+foreign license) to drive in Thailand, not about obtaining a Thai license.

5 hours ago, skatewash said:

They do.

Police is not a concern, I used a 1949 IDP since 2014, I have been stop daily by Police, they never checked the stamp date on passport, also even always in my possession I never been requested to provide my EU driving license, they are not prepared or informed on all this matter my concern is the insurrance that might not cover me in case of claim due an incident.

2 minutes ago, indyo said:

Police is not a concern, I used a 1949 IDP since 2014, I have been stop daily by Police, they never checked the stamp date on passport, also even always in my possession I never been requested to provide my EU driving license, they are not prepared or informed on all this matter my concern is the insurrance that might not cover me in case of claim due an incident.

You still have CTPL cover the problem you may have if checked is with voluntarily insurance cover.