Advice on umbilical hernia in Chiang Mai.

Haljabra

Hello Everyone,

Apparently, I have to go in for an umbilical hernia op and I have a few questions for anyone else out there regarding this procedure. Firstly, I'm looking for a good doctor/hospital in Chiang Mai province, not too costly.

Also, any information/experience regarding the use of surgical mesh. I've heard and read that it could be prone to complications. So, I'm weary about using mesh implants.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Sheryl said:

Use of mesh is advised for umbilical hernia repair as recurrence is otherwise likely. Both the type of surgical mesh and technique for using it have advanced considerably in the past decade. Most of the scare stories you may have heard pertain to types of mesh no longer n the market.

https://universitysurgical.com/is-surgical-mesh-safe-for-hernia-repair/

Any general surgeon can do this. As cost is a priority for you, I suggest one of these surgeons at Rajavej Hospital:

Dr Khomsan Prachongtat

Dr Wunchat Pangkreung

Dr Vinisch Seemakajorn

A government hospital, such as Nakorn Ping of Maharaj, would be even less expensive but likely to have long wait lists

Thanks for the information and advice. While the scare videos of mesh are a bit old it still gives me cause for concern unfortunately. 

29 minutes ago, Haljabra said:

Thanks for the information and advice. While the scare videos of mesh are a bit old it still gives me cause for concern unfortunately. 

There are literally millions of hernia repairs using mesh performed each year. The overwhelming majority of people do fine, and when there are complications they are usually unrelated to the mesh. In fact, use of mesh may reduce overall risk of complications by shortening recovery time.

Youtube (and the like) are not where to get a clear picture of medical risks from. But if you insist on getting your information that way, google Youtube + strangulated hernia to get an idea of what a successful hernia repair prevents.

You might also like to wait until you see surgeon as in some individual cases, mesh is nto necessary. Depends on the size of the hernia, strength of the abdominal wall and other factors.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You might also like to wait until you see surgeon as in some individual cases, mesh is nto necessary. Depends on the size of the hernia, strength of the abdominal wall and other factors.

Yes, that was my idea too. Anyway, thanks for help.