Small vehicle for transporting road bike

NorthernRyland

I used to have a setup where I could detach the front wheel of my road bike and hang it off the back of a rack on my motorbike so I could transport to a destination to ride but it was clumsy and not very safe so I stopped.

My question is, what is the smallest/cheapest vehicle available in Thailand which I could use to transport a road bike on? I've seen some electric vehicles and various mini-cars but I don't know what they cost or how exactly I could setup a rack to transport a road bike. It doesn't need to go far, maybe 20 kilometers or so so something on slower side is not that bad.

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Probably something like this.... 

image.jpeg.1d4c563d7df60d0f43f218d212e1379a.jpeg

I forgot all about the most obvious solution. ???? Not sure how I could setup a rack on that though and I hear they're pretty hard to drive. Something covered maybe be nice also.

Would you need a rack ?? just sling the bike in it and bungee it down.

OR, have a ‘fitting welded’ so you can fit your front forks on to it... 

I guess there are many potential variables once you get down to it. 

Road worthiness is another issue, or rather ‘road legality’...  as you mentioned, I wouldn’t fancy riding one either to be honest... But, if pottering along at 50kmh, then it can’t be too dangerous. 

Edited by richard_smith237

54 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

or this 

Moto Bicycle Carrier (Horizontal) - 2×2 Cycles

Here is what the rack looks like

Motorcycle Bike Rack - BikePGH | Remolque para bicicleta ...

That's looks amazing! Needs to be imported though I suspect. Any idea where to find one? What I used to do was tie the frame down horizontally so your bike was now like 3x wider. Totally dodgy.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are actually a few options out there...

My mate in Bali had a Scooter with a surfboard rack...  So an option like that would work. 

(don’t fancy taking a right hander at any decent speed though !)

Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 15.53.15.png

Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 15.55.51.png

Interesting I like that. Since it's SE Asia also maybe I can find one on aliexpress.

Yeah it would upset the balance of the bike and prevent any hard turns but that goes with the territory. You could probably setup a dedicated bike just for this purpose pretty cheap.

Edited by NorthernRyland

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are actually a few options out there...

My mate in Bali had a Scooter with a surfboard rack...  So an option like that would work. 

(don’t fancy taking a right hander at any decent speed though !)

Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 15.53.15.png

Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 15.55.51.png

Yeah just looked on Aliexpress and I don't see those bike racks but I do see those surfboard racks. Any idea where I could find one of these?

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I forgot all about the most obvious solution. ???? Not sure how I could setup a rack on that though and I hear they're pretty hard to drive. Something covered maybe be nice also.

No there are not hard to drive. Even with 4 extra people in the side car.

I would make a custom rear rack for the motorbike.

Make a rack which has a stem that fits into the "seat tube" of your bicycle.

Then you just remove the seat from the bicycle, flip it upside down and slide it on the stem on your motorbike rack.

Of course you have to do some measurements, as to how far back the stem has to be, in what angle, etc. so that you can still sit on your motorbike.

This would probably be the most compact solution.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Since your bicycle already comes with two wheels, a saddle, and steering wheel, an option is to use a portable electric propulsion on it. Stick it on to zoom to your cycling area, then take it off to recharge it while you’re cycling. Put it back on for the drive back home. 
https://www.rubbee.co.uk

When I was a kid back in the sixties these were swarming all over the French roads - the Rubbee looks like a clever modernisation of that design and far more elegant than many of the clunky e-bikes on the market now.

Solex.jpg

Edited by London Lowf

51 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Since your bicycle already comes with two wheels, a saddle, and steering wheel, an option is to use a portable electric propulsion on it. Stick it on to zoom to your cycling area, then take it off to recharge it while you’re cycling. Put it back on for the drive back home. 
https://www.rubbee.co.uk

I'm not sure that would get the bicycle up to ‘traffic speed’ on the frontage roads... 

They go at about 50-80km in many areas. 

The getting something fabricated to fit the seat-stem is perhaps one of the best ideas I’ve seen so far, or the side-rack. 

10 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

I would make a custom rear rack for the motorbike.

I may go that route if I can't find of any of these examples posted for sale. I like the idea of the side rack because you can fit the entire bike. Sadly on one of my bikes the old frame broke and the only one I could find in Chiang Mai last year has a built in seat post which is an awkward shape and would be difficult to insert over a post.

If you could get the wheel locking mechanism I bet some local metal work guys could be rig something up like those pictures.

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

If you could get the wheel locking mechanism I bet some local metal work guys could be rig something up like those pictures.

Possible but not easy, I've been trying for a golf bag, people say go and see those places that make side cars and they'll make one, no they seem to be focused on the side cars, i found one metal shop guy but he wanted way too much, trying to milk the falang even though he had little to do