UK vs Irish passport & should I renew UK passport?

Hi All

I’m at a quandary and would love some advice…

I’m living in Thailand where I entered with a UK pport last year & It’s about to expire 16th Oct.

Now I have a valid unused (10yr, 7yrs left as not used) Irish pport & my plan is to exit before UK pport expires and enter a neighbouring country with the Irish pport… So I can then re enter Thailand after 1st Oct getting the 45 days visa (& look to obtain a different visa moving forwards as been on the Covid tourist extension for past 12 months!. Separate issue!).

My intention was to then venture to Bkk to get the UK renewed but…

My question is, because you can only change pports in the air, meaning I’d leave Thailand in the future using the Irish, is there any point to renewing the UK pport now (I naively thought some time ago that if lost or stolen etc then could simply use the other one but not the case) as there doesn’t appear to be any point to have the 2nd pport (UK) losing duration on it!

I’m all for minimising problems & expanding opportunities with travel (especially now) so can anybody suggest the point or benefit in the expense and hassle to having the UK pport renewed at this stage? 

Many thanks for any advice concerning my quandary! Have a great day! ????

59 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't understand.

You say that you are aware passports can only be swapped by air but the suggest you will exit on UK passport and then enter a neighbouring country on Irish passport. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are considering doing this by land???

It's pretty simple... Exit Thailand (By Air) using the UK Passport that he entered on (Has to that as it will be the Passport with the Valid entry stamp) & then when he gets to a neighboring country (Lets say Malaysia) he goes through Immigration using his Irish passport. 

But it doesn't need to be "by Air", he could use a Land Border crossing in the same way (switch passports in "No Man's Land".

Coming back into Thailand he enters on his Irish Passport. 

OP It doesn't seem worth renewing your UK Passport unless/until you need it (e.g. if you planned on living in the UK). 

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't understand.

You say that you are aware passports can only be swapped by air but the suggest you will exit on UK passport and then enter a neighbouring country on Irish passport. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are considering doing this by land???

No, it can’t be done by land, only in the air so I’ll leave with UK pport, enter Malaysia with Irish pport which will then enable me to rtn with the Irish pport.

But my querie really is, is there any benefit to renewing the UK pport as you have to exit a country with the same that you entered with so it doesn’t really work as a back up pport so to speak.

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's pretty simple... Exit Thailand (By Air) using the UK Passport that he entered on (Has to that as it will be the Passport with the Valid entry stamp) & then when he gets to a neighboring country (Lets say Malaysia) he goes through Immigration using his Irish passport. 

But it doesn't need to be "by Air", he could use a Land Border crossing in the same way (switch passports in "No Man's Land".

Coming back into Thailand he enters on his Irish Passport. 

OP It doesn't seem worth renewing your UK Passport unless/until you need it (e.g. if you planned on living in the UK). 

I was told it cannot be done on land only in the air, which doesn’t logically make sense as you said as it’s no mans land.

But to ensure there’s no hiccups I’ll go by air and thank you, I also thought renewing the UK pport would literally be a waste of time, being mine and the duration of it dwindling time when not being used.

Have a great day!????

• Like 1