78-year-old foreigner seriously injured after paragliding fall in Rawai

webfact

others failed to mention ...

he's 78 and put rescue resources at risk also,   they have got better things to do than baby sit a 78yr who is delusional and thinks he's superman .......   stick to the club bingo and crochet old timer and don't waste the rescue guys time which is needed for young serious accident folks.    Lol

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Let's hope that when you are 78, you are in good enough condition to do the activities you love, and not put them on the shelf because somebody else said you are too old.

Nah, nobody, need to tell me that. I will consider myself old enough to make a good judgement. Now stop talk about yourself, and understand this guy just made a poor judgement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

he's 78 and put rescue resources at risk also,   they have got better things to do than baby sit a 78yr who is delusional and thinks he's superman .......   stick to the club bingo and crochet old timer and don't waste the rescue guys time which is needed for young serious accident folks.    Lol

Pathetic comment....  Are you suggesting that ALL paragliders give up because you think they may put a ‘rescuer’ at risk ???  Perhaps rock climbers and those who go hiking should give up too ?? :whistling:

Any accident like this with injuries can happen to any paraglider, its part of the risk, which ultimately is minimal.

It is a valid point for those who make it that age is factor in the extent of injuries; older bones are more brittle, but his experience may also be a factor in avoiding a lot of incidents in the first place, so its a trade off - I suspect this guy has been paragliding for decades. 

Age is of course a factor in the recovery - I hope its swift. 

I’d rather associate with the 78 year old paraglider than some of the horribly bitter and halfwitted posters in this thread given some of the responses.

I wonder how many of you with negative comments ride a motorcycle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, nobody, need to tell me that. I will consider myself old enough to make a good judgement. Now stop talk about yourself, and understand this guy just made a poor judgement.

It could be argued that the vast majority of people involved in accidents (single person) make poor judgement somewhere along the way....   be it motorcycle accidents, or simply tripping over due to not looking where they were going properly.

The good judgement this gent possessed was to live his life to the full....  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Who's delusional >???  exactly how much risk do you think these ‘rescuers’ were at ???

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 20.22.58.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

There is no reason why a 78yr old man, if properly trained and in good physical condition should refrain from any activities treated respectfully.

I'm 75. I have no difficulties with paragliding, other than getting tired sooner than my younger companions. The family that flies together, ties together!  (My wife and I flying one afternoon in Japan.)

Flying1.jpg

Flying4.jpg

Flying2.jpg

Brilliant mate!!!!????????

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The good judgement this gent possessed was to live his life to the full....

Great! No success then, as he will most likely not recover to full strength at that age. Moderation is good! Live life to the extent your age is telling you.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Awesome...  Not that he had his accident - I wish the gent a full speedy recover. 

But, Awesome that someone of his age was still out there doing what he loved. 

There are a couple of bitter comments so far on this thread from those who would prefer to comment on things than do...  

To place this activity in prospected - I’d guess riding a motorcycle around Thailand is more risky. 

-----------

While sandboxing in Phuket I saw an older guy (looked in his 70’s) landing his Paraglider on Nai Harn beach...  it looked awesome and I was impressed - it certainly beats sitting miserable in a bar or at home all day and passing negative comments on those who are living a full life !

Yes, there are quite a few elderly paragliders in Phuket enjoying their time doing what they like.  Most are quite experienced and know the risks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Great! No success then, as he will most likely not recover to full strength at that age. Moderation is good! Live life to the extent your age is telling you.

Maybe he does practice moderation. Maybe he only paraglides 3 days a week instead of 7...

• Haha 2