Bank of England raises rates to 2.25%, despite likely recession

Scott

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The UK doesn't grow all it's own food due to the greed of the corporations.

Everything could be home grown, but you can make bigger profits from importing from cheaper countries.

Same as corporate outsourcing to 3rd world call centres.

If the service is provided in the UK, it should be provided by UK citizens.

Same as industry,

Why manufacture in the UK, when it's cheaper to manufacture in the 3rd world.

The answer is always corporate greed.

And allowing corporate greed will destroy the world.

According to this expert, the last time the UK fed itself was probably in the early 19th century.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/03/could-britain-feed-itself-we-ask-the-expert

And the diet would be very dull.

Although given the pace of global warming maybe in 20 years there could be banana plantations in Devonshire.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The answer is always corporate greed.

And allowing corporate greed will destroy the world.

IMO the world has already been destroyed by greed ( corporate and personal ), but we just don't know it yet. The time is coming when the piper has to be paid and the cupboard will be bare. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth will eventuate. I hope I've departed when the  :hit-the-fan:.

Things just got more interesting, the IMF (highly unusually) waded into the fight and was publicly critical of governments new economic measures. Moody's followed up by saying the measures would be credit negative for the UK...ouch. 

Do nothing and the UK credit rating falls and borrowing becomes even more expensive. Reverse the cut to the top rate of tax and it will be seen as backtracking by a new government as it tried to execute its first economic policy. My guess is the government will ignore the IMF and hope the new fiscal measures bring some early wins. No pain, no gain as they say. But exactly what the BOE can or will do remains a mystery.....double ouch.

Personally, I think a part of the solution will come from the US Fed., USD is too strong and is having a damaging impact on countries/economies globally, I would expect them to put a lid on things soon which will help Sterling.

16 hours ago, RayC said:

They tried something similar in Cambodia in the '70s: It didn't go well.

They are trying something similar in North Korea now (although I believe that there are some Chinese imports): It's not going well.

Britain used to make everything and ruled a large part of the world. Perhaps such doesn't make the "right" people rich enough though. More profit in exploiting cheap labour the other side of the planet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

Shame the IMF didn't get involved a bit earlier really when countries were destroying their economies via unnecessary and wholly ineffective lockdowns.   Getting involved now that one of these countries is doing something to try and fix this huge mistake is a bit like locking the stable door after the horse bolted about 2.5 years ago.   

I personally don't think the IMF should have a voice in how a global pandemic should be managed and controlled, just like I don't think the WHO should have a voice in how countries should manage their respective economies.

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I personally don't think the IMF should have a voice in how a global pandemic should be managed and controlled, just like I don't think the WHO should have a voice in how countries should manage their respective economies.

Lockdowns caused economic disaster. IMO such is entirely within their remit.

43 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Things just got more interesting, the IMF (highly unusually) waded into the fight and was publicly critical of governments new economic measures. Moody's followed up by saying the measures would be credit negative for the UK...ouch. 

Do nothing and the UK credit rating falls and borrowing becomes even more expensive. Reverse the cut to the top rate of tax and it will be seen as backtracking by a new government as it tried to execute its first economic policy. My guess is the government will ignore the IMF and hope the new fiscal measures bring some early wins. No pain, no gain as they say. But exactly what the BOE can or will do remains a mystery.....double ouch.

Personally, I think a part of the solution will come from the US Fed., USD is too strong and is having a damaging impact on countries/economies globally, I would expect them to put a lid on things soon which will help Sterling.

Take a look at the sterling since we2. There has been a steady decline compared to currencies like us, guilder and dm.

Worldwide influence is waning and so is sterling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Take a look at the sterling since we2. There has been a steady decline compared to currencies like us, guilder and dm.

Worldwide influence is waning and so is sterling.

Should that not be "has waned", not "is waning"? IMO that ship sailed when the UK backed down to the US over Suez.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Britain used to make everything and ruled a large part of the world. Perhaps such doesn't make the "right" people rich enough though. More profit in exploiting cheap labour the other side of the planet.

Make two lists.

1. All the things that we use daily that didn’t even exist 50 years ago.

2. All the countries Britain no longer gets to plunder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

Health is directly related to a countries economy, hence the reason that the poorer a country is the lower the life expectancy so the IMF should of course be involved.  

The economic problems that are being faced today are a direct consequence of just focusing on just the health aspects of covid without considering the economic impact of these policies.  There was no balance.   Sensible folks predicted that an increase in poverty around the world would send a lot more people into an early grave than covid could ever hope to achieve.

More revisionism.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

So you disagree that health is not related to a countries wealth and the lower life expectancy in poorer countries is what... coincidental?   What part of what I said is revisionism?   

I don’t agree with your myopic views on the Pandemic response and your revisionism that comes with it.

• Like 2

Uk currency is the result of what the UK economy has turned into : an emerging market. 

For just a minute, imagine a country that has been buffeted for years by political instability. It has seen four prime ministers in just six years and three general elections over the past seven. This country also held a referendum on its relations with its neighbors, and voted to leave its main trading bloc, leading to a collapse in its trade volumes and stalling growth.

While this country calls itself a democracy, its new prime minister was chosen by members of an elite club comprising just 0.2 percent of the actual electorate. And now, this prime minister — who hasn’t even won a popular mandate to rule — has launched a populist pro-growth agenda: Taxes on the top 5 percent are to be cut in hopes of kick-starting growth and creating a trickle-down feel-good factor.

Welcome to today’s Britain, a mature G7 country, where it all sounds very emerging market.

https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-emerging-market-crisis-gdp-growth-economic-policy/

All of the above sounds like a classic emerging market (EM) crisis country. And as an EM economist for 35 years, if you presented me with the above fundamentals, the last thing I would now recommend is a program of unfunded tax cuts.

Sri Lanka tried to do just that between 2019 and 2022, and it ended up in currency collapse and default.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Another strawman. You really should start addressing points I actually make. Rather than creating and then attacking positions I do not hold.

Instead of opposing the government by objecting to such strict lockdowns, Labour instead opted for oneupmanship and told them there should be even stricter, harsher lockdowns, sooner. They are as useless in opposition as they would have been in government. Fortunately they are too clueless to win elections so we didn't have to suffer even stricter lockdowns and even more economic damage.

If you don't believe me, maybe a look at your favourite Communist tabloid will help?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/03/keir-starmer-calls-for-immediate-lockdown-in-england-as-covid-cases-soar

Getting back to topic.

The interest rate hike coupled with the unfunded tax give away to the already wealthy isn’t going too well is it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Getting back to topic.

The interest rate hike coupled with the unfunded tax give away to the already wealthy isn’t going too well is it.

Your grasp on economics is very limited, isn't it?

Whether the policies are effective, or not, will not be determined in the space of a few days

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Getting back to topic.

Oh I don't know, the UK thrives on these sorts of drama's and now that Boris has gone and Sunak's attempt at a takeover has failed, the people at home were starting to get restless, a void needs to be filled and this fits the bill perfectly. People all over the country will be reaching for the popcorn and pretty soon the papers will be full of headlines such as, "How Much Longer Can Truss Survive".

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your grasp on economics is very limited, isn't it?

Whether the policies are effective, or not, will not be determined in the space of a few days

Right now the calculation being made is how long this game of chance will last.

Economics 101, interest rates go up, people with mortgages suffer.

Tory Party conference in two weeks followed by Parliament re sitting.

How long do you want to give it?

• Like 2