Petrol vs Diesel NGV vs LPG Running cost (2022)

CrossBones

Some many factors to consider

Driving style

Tire size

Engine size

Cargo area loaded or unloaded

engine size

Model year

Number of passengers

weight of driver and passengers 

Here an example of some figures

Compare the consumption rate of 9 pickup trucks sold in Thailand 2022

https://chobrod.com/tips-car-care/เปรียบเทียบอัตราสิ้นเปลือง-9-รถกระบะที่ขายในไทย-2019-7142

11 minutes ago, CrossBones said:

im buying a used truck, about 10 years old. The "2022" refer to running cost now with current fuel prices thanks

If you say what truck it is and how you going to use it,  the kilos, the service history, maybe someone with same truck can give you some idea. 

Actually i want to build a campervan. LPG or NVG is interesting because the engine can be run all night (to power the air conditioning) without producing carbon monoxide. Its more quiet than diesel.   I need to use it to run air conditioning all night, so basically it will be run idling for very long periods of time. It wont be carring very heavy loads, perhaps 250kg load. It wont be used everyday.

Edited by CrossBones

3 hours ago, CrossBones said:

LPG or NVG is interesting because the engine can be run all night (to power the air conditioning) without producing carbon monoxide.

All combustion sources, including motor vehicles, power stations, waste incinerators, domestic gas boilers, and cookers, emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is not poisonous but has a temporary effect on the human respiratory system.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/carbon-monoxide

1 hour ago, seedy said:

All combustion sources, including motor vehicles, power stations, waste incinerators, domestic gas boilers, and cookers, emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is not poisonous but has a temporary effect on the human respiratory system.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/carbon-monoxide

If as you say, CO is non poisonous, why is sitting in a sealed car with a pipe from the exhaust a popular way of suicide?

• Like 1

Modern vehicles dont have a carbon monoxide problem generally. Especially LPG.

Of course you must have a carbon monoxide alarm

The  cost of a 2kw chinese generator of reasonable quality is about 30k baht

The cost of a reconditioned truck engine is about 40k baht.

My reasoning is that a reconditioned truck engine will last a lot longer idling than a chinese generator will (and probably post much less of a fire/pollution/toxic fume problem)

4 minutes ago, CrossBones said:

My reasoning is that a reconditioned truck engine will last a lot longer idling than a chinese generator will (and probably post much less of a fire/pollution/toxic fume problem)

Why not solar with battery back up?

18 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Why not solar with battery back up?

Over 24 hours the surface area of a camper covered in solar panels would collect enough power to power an AC for 3-4 hours . Also the cost of a (safe) lithium battery pack to store that much power costs 120,000 baht.. Also you would have to park in direct sun, which is counter  productive.

I think its going to be far cheaper to recondition an engine than go for a solar system or external generator.

Edited by CrossBones

I bought a Toyota space cab REVO new in 2018, now with 50k KM.  After 80 fillups, my average mileage is 16.48kpl/38.77mpg driving conservatively.  There have been a few fillups where I haven't driven conservatively and the difference in mileage is very noticeable.  By conservatively I mean generally not above 90kph, slow off a changing light, coast into a red light unless I have cars behind me.  If I go conservatively for a full tank, I can easily get 40+mpg.  Always with air on.

40 minutes ago, CrossBones said:

I recommend that you further your reading…

I suspect that you have confused CO and CO2.

CO is a byproduct of combustion, ie LPG.

CO2 is used to carbonate beverages.

Both are colorless, flavorless and have no aroma, hence the danger they pose in confined spaces.

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

LPG between 1.8 and 2 baht per km before the very latest increase in price. Speed does not appear to increase the cost.

The total cost including conversion would depend entirely on how many kms per year . Etc..

We converted from the old style to multi port on one of our cars 2 years ago - 22,000 THB

This car - a 2001 model - has been on LPG since new, now 250K + Km. Engine still in great shape - uses no oil.

Fuel cost per Km at that time was 50% of the price of 95, which this vehicle requires.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1