Motorcyclist dies in flames reminding everyone of the peril of "green lights" in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

Tragic accident,  no one to blame,  driver behind pipped his horn, lights were on green,  not his fault,  ambulance can and always will go through red lights,  it could have been a emergency,  though it should have had sirens blaring,  the cyclist was in the wrong place at the wrong time,   but this is Thailand,  always proceed with caution,  RIP.  Tragic. 

The Ambulance cannot go through red lights without caution. 

This ambulance speed through the red-light without care or any consideration to other road-users.

This is reckless driving resulting in death, ambulance driver or not. 

The motorcyclist was also careless, not looking properly before entering the junction. 

Nevertheless, its not his fault. 

• Like 1

Typical Thai driving. Having said that the driving standards in Vietnam and Indonesia weren't /aren't any better. It is all about being aware of the other road users and driving according to those in your vicinity, rather than just driving to the legal road norms.

Not that the ignorant rude drivers don't get me wound up. I get annoyed every time I get behind the wheel in Bangkok, even when I start my trips by telling myself not to get p i s s e d off. I won't ride a bike here even though I love motorbike riding because I don't have a relaxed enough attitude to the random driving. I would end up dead or maimed due to my own overblown sense of what should be right or wrong on the road.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Ambulance driving too fast through red light , should have done

it with extreme caution , if at all. sirens flashing lights ?

Fate on Thai roads , if the guy behind had not sounded his horn

maybe a few seconds more would have saved his life 

regards Worgeordie

Yes the guy on the scooter did everything right. No siren sound at all, I guess we need more eyes two in the front, two in the back, and two on the sides. They might help, RIP young man.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If they really want to get the message across then this is the sort of video they should be showing when you renew your license.

Rather than the pointless dross that we have to sit through.

Or repeatedly on ads  when watching tv

• Like 1

An ambulance going through a red light has a responsibility to slow down, and look before proceeding. This is the most basic of traffic rules. No matter how much of an emergency it is, there is no excuse for creating a second emergency. This is manslaughter, on the part of the driver of the ambulance. In addition to fleeing from the scene of a crime, though no such law seems to exist here, as part of the ongoing cultural war against taking responsibility for one's actions. 

Many of us drive with great caution here. The roads are a huge hazard. Barely a day goes by, that I do not see someone making a move that defies logic and reason, on the roads. The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. If I am driving at a good speed, I do tend to take my foot off the gas, when going through a green light. But, it is impossible to slow down at every green light, especially with heavy traffic behind you. Having said that, there are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and being very, very careful is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In the video the truck driver behind impatiently beeps his horn and tries to nudge the motorcyclist forward because he doesn't move immediately once the lights have turned green.

So in my humble opinion he should be taking some of the blame for this horrible accident.

...i saw the rider move off after having looked right as the very moment the horn sounded..it was a wide intersection and the elderly motor cyclist probably did not see the ambulance until too late. I am more critical of the dashcam driver not stopping to render assistance, but clearly drove off.  PS. I hope the fuel was in a correct container, not that the explosion and flames seemed to cause any damage. RIP

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Perils for 'Green lights’ ???.....   don’t they mean the perils of <deleted> going through red lights ????

There's the humdinger - a tragic mistake, but one I see so often in Thailand. 

Motorcyclists (and drivers) simply not looking when they pull across a junction or even when pulling out of a soi.

Somewhat ironic....  the ambulance driver must surely know better than screaming through a red-light... how many traffic incidents will he have attended from exactly the same cause ??? did he not learn a thing ?

Was the ambulance using sirens,? I did not see flashing lights

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

After living in Thailand for over twenty years I am still amazed at the stupidity and carelessness of Thai motorbike drivers. And now this, carrying a container of gas on an open motorbike and then it explodes when hit. Unbelievable, but this is Thailand.

Whether he had the gas or not the dashcam shows he was surely a goner with the ambulance going at that speed and T boning him. One second there, another and he was swept away.

but I agree, foolish to be carrying a can of petrol whilst riding on a motorbike. But we do it, don't we, in the back/ trunk of a car. Is that any safer? A spark would still ignite it.

• Like 1

The driver with the dash-cam bears some responsibility by putting pressure on the rider. He was moving before the lights changed and by beeping his horn the rider react and didn't look. It might be a reasonable assumption that he would not have looked anyway, but he would have done so later when he realised he could move. The ambulance would have been closer and the result might have been different. Then after a few choice words, he seems to up and meander off. He was witness to an accident and is legally required to stop.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Typical Thai driving. Having said that the driving standards in Vietnam and Indonesia weren't /aren't any better. It is all about being aware of the other road users and driving according to those in your vicinity, rather than just driving to the legal road norms.

Not that the ignorant rude drivers don't get me wound up. I get annoyed every time I get behind the wheel in Bangkok, even when I start my trips by telling myself not to get p i s s e d off. I won't ride a bike here even though I love motorbike riding because I don't have a relaxed enough attitude to the random driving. I would end up dead or maimed due to my own overblown sense of what should be right or wrong on the road.

God help your passengers!????????

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In the video the truck driver behind impatiently beeps his horn and tries to nudge the motorcyclist forward because he doesn't move immediately once the lights have turned green.

So in my humble opinion he should be taking some of the blame for this horrible accident.

No, not at all. The motorist behind lightly tapped his horn after the light had turned green. Entirely appropriate. 

Yes, the motorcyclist "should" have looked both ways in a country as with roadways and intersections as lethal as Thailand, but in any normal country, would not have any reason to do so. 

What I do find bizarre, though it may have been outside of the dashcam viewing frame, is that NO ONE stopped to run to the motorcyclist who had been hit to his assistance or acertain his level of injury or mortality - not the pedestrian, not the driver of the dashcam car (who simply proceeded on his way forward), not other cars passing through the intersection. 

Is that how mundane traffic accidents and death has become in Thailand? ???? 

1 hour ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

Tragic accident,  no one to blame,  driver behind pipped his horn, lights were on green,  not his fault,  ambulance can and always will go through red lights,  it could have been a emergency,  though it should have had sirens blaring,  the cyclist was in the wrong place at the wrong time,   but this is Thailand,  always proceed with caution,  RIP.  Tragic. 

An emergency vehicle going thru a red light should have been the one proceeding with caution.  He should have his siren on too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Perils for 'Green lights’ ???.....   don’t they mean the perils of a$$holes going through red lights ????

There's the humdinger - a tragic mistake, but one I see so often in Thailand. 

Motorcyclists (and drivers) simply not looking when they pull across a junction or even when pulling out of a soi.

Somewhat ironic....  the ambulance driver must surely know better than screaming through a red-light... how many traffic incidents will he have attended from exactly the same cause ??? did he not learn a thing ?

Have You ever heard or see a Thai learn anything? After 16 years here with kid and wife I have never see….

Every police officer needs re training here.

Every emergency vehicle driver too.

Lights and sirens us a code one.

Can proceed through red lights with caution.

Every driving licence should be checked.. 

They all need retraining.

Enough is enough.

Edited by dallen52

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is not unknown for an ambulance to go through a red light, usually though it is in the case of every second counting in the patients life and accompanied by police at least in the UK they are.

Ambulances in the UK aren't accompanied by police, why would you think this?

A lot of the ambulances here on Samui have just as many modifications and Japanese style motorsport/drifting stickers plastered on them as some of the modded trucks and cars you see about.  I'm sure its just a legal excuse to drive like an absolute maniac for some of them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mberbae said:

No one seems to ask if the Sirens were on in the ambulance.

If so, all traffic needs to stop regardless of the green light.

Even with sirens on, the ambulance driver needs to slow down & proceed with caution.

Years ago, when I was working Saudi, a fully laden fire engine sped through a red light & collided with an SUV.  The fire engine with full water tanks disintegrated.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If they really want to get the message across then this is the sort of video they should be showing when you renew your license.

Rather than the pointless dross that we have to sit through.

Actually, the last time I renewed my dl during the compulsory tv viewing one such 'sketch' is shown at the end. A family in a car starts off from a green light only to hit by a speeding lorry passing through a red light. I hasten to add that the scene obviously isn't real so I agree with you that perhaps they ought to show something like this.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

That must be one of the most stupid posts ever.

Even for this forum this has got to be up in the top of the list of most stupid posts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Perils for 'Green lights’ ???.....   don’t they mean the perils of <deleted> going through red lights ????

I also don't understand the ambulance driver that clearly had enough time to see the legal driving motorcycle, but I always

see them slow going through a red light, even green sometimes.

With that said you can also blame the van driver. I would say if he had not beep his horn that the ambulance would have

gone through without hitting the motorcycle, only because he wasn't paying attention. I bet the van driver is thinking this

as well and maybe never do that again.

you can see clearly the light has turn green before the truck honk him, the light is clearly turn green when the motorcycle took off, you can't blame the truck for honking, in normal circumstances its just honking to move forward and get going, yes a few second would have save his life, this is totally the ambulance fault reaching the intersection when you are in red atleast understand and have common sense to slow down, look both way before you continue on, he was going full speed regardless the danger, what if he hit a car instead of a motorcycle, with that kind of speed and hit another car every party would go on to the other side

• Like 1