Motorcyclist dies in flames reminding everyone of the peril of "green lights" in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Screaming said:

After living in Thailand for over twenty years I am still amazed at the stupidity and carelessness of Thai motorbike drivers. And now this, carrying a container of gas on an open motorbike and then it explodes when hit. Unbelievable, but this is Thailand.

Do you have a better suggestion on how to get a container of gasoline to your house if you only have a motorbike?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

Tragic accident,  no one to blame,  driver behind pipped his horn, lights were on green,  not his fault,  ambulance can and always will go through red lights,  it could have been a emergency,  though it should have had sirens blaring,  the cyclist was in the wrong place at the wrong time,   but this is Thailand,  always proceed with caution,  RIP.  Tragic. 

How was the motorcyclist in the wrong place at the wrong time?

He had NO warning that the ambulance was coming from his right side, the lights were green in has favour and red against the ambulance.

He did, in fact proceed with caution if you watched the video.

So please explain where he went wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

He had NO warning that the ambulance was coming from his right side, the lights were green in has favour and red against the ambulance.

Should always look both ways before crossing a road and into incoming traffic , even if the lights give you permission to cross or even if its a one way street ; Always look both ways .

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In the video the truck driver behind impatiently beeps his horn and tries to nudge the motorcyclist forward because he doesn't move immediately once the lights have turned green.

So in my humble opinion he should be taking some of the blame for this horrible accident.

I have often pumped my horn at traffic not moving when a light turned green, though not as quick as the vehicle in this case.

Some lights take a very long time to change, so some drivers are still texting on their phone and need a reminder that the lights have changed to green.

I have noticed, that since mobiles and smartphones have become the normal for people that this now happens a lot more often.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's a given, doesn't matter what country your in, same applies at Pedestrian or Zebra crossings, your life is in your own hands, trust no one who drives a car/truck or rides a bike as they are all lethal weapons on the move so to speak.

RIP

Most Thai's do not have the brains or common sense to realise this. I make no apologies for Thai bashing where driving and riding are concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... the driver of the vehicle behind was anticipating the lights, moved early and kind of ‘ hustled’ the motorcyclist into action...  all in a fairly non-aggressive manner... 

The motorcyclist seemed to be in somewhat of a dream-world. 

In the past I’ve been at lights and had to give my horn a light ‘pap’ as the person on or in the vehicle in-front has not reacted to the lights... (perhaps playing with phone or day-dreaming etc).  I’d be deviated if they then got collected by a vehicle running the lights in similar circumstances. 

All of that said: Self Preservation here is key - the motorcyclist simply didn’t look. Just like the Swedish guy crossing the road earlier this week. 

Thats aid: Ambulance clearly 100% at fault here... But as a motorcyclist (and pedestrian and driver), I’ll never cross a junction without looking, double checking, triple checking etc... 

After I got Tboned and was still riding I would always stop as close to the side as possible and let other vehicles go across the lights first.

They can be the statistics instead of me. I still do it in the pickup nowadays.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Ambulance cannot go through red lights without caution. 

This ambulance speed through the red-light without care or any consideration to other road-users.

This is reckless driving resulting in death, ambulance driver or not. 

The motorcyclist was also careless, not looking properly before entering the junction. 

Nevertheless, its not his fault. 

I did not see the full road markings in the video, but should the guy on the motorbike not have left the inside lane clear for vehicles wanting to make a left hand turn when the road is clear?

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Most Thai's do not have the brains or common sense to realise this. I make no apologies for Thai bashing where driving and riding are concerned.

I have reached the stage that I don't want to drive anymore, that said, I take the kids to school and pick them up, it's a 20km country drive, and I have told the wife, she is on notice, I cannot handle driving here anymore, she said why do you think I get you to drive to the kids and pick them up, I'm your Princes remember....LOL

The above said, what are our options, to put them in a minivan or a bus, not going to happen so guess I keep my day job ????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sadly... as much of a Thai-bash as this is, I don’t disagree where roads are concerned and also ’safety in general. 

Thailand is an amazing place, with lovely people which is why it’s upsetting to see these things occur. 

• Love It 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have often pumped my horn at traffic not moving when a light turned green, though not as quick as the vehicle in this case.

In Jakarta there was this ‘thing’ we called the ‘Jakarata Millisecond’...  

... It was the time it took for the lights to turn green and all the cars to start beeping their horns...

I’m so glad Thailand is not like this - the incessant noise was exhausting. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

In the video the truck driver behind impatiently beeps his horn and tries to nudge the motorcyclist forward because he doesn't move immediately once the lights have turned green.

So in my humble opinion he should be taking some of the blame for this horrible accident.

Nonsense. The lights were green. 100% the ambulances fault. The irony was the garland seller running towards the accident. RIP

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Yes the guy on the scooter did everything right. No siren sound at all, I guess we need more eyes two in the front, two in the back, and two on the sides. They might help, RIP young man.

I always say you need eyes front back and both sides to drive in Thailand. The poor guy who got hit really didn't do anything wrong except failing to check for nutters. The light had turned in his favour for some seconds, not as if he jumped it too early. Long enough too one would have thought not to be expecting someone running through the changing to red light. The ambulance was moving very fast with no flashing lights or siren that I could see or hear on the video.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The light had turned in his favour for some seconds, not as if he jumped it too early.

Indeed...  There is also a delay between one light turning red and another turning green.. I think its 3 seconds....  The ambulance went through the ‘red light’ approximately 5 seconds after it would have changed red.....   utterly reckless - I hope the driver faces serious charges.

In this case being the driver of an ambulance is not a mitigating circumstance by any measure. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed...  There is also a delay between one light turning red and another turning green.. I think its 3 seconds....  The ambulance went through the ‘red light’ approximately 5 seconds after it would have changed red.....   utterly reckless - I hope the driver faces serious charges.

In this case being the driver of an ambulance is not a mitigating circumstance by any measure. 

Normally

In the real world, it's a code one despatch call.

Lights and sirens.

Proceed through red lights with caution.

But we are in LOS and there is no emergency despatch system.

Flashing lights on emergency vehicles normally means look at me.

Or I forgot to turn off.

Or I'm doing the meals run.

Get out of the way.

Culpable driving by the EMS.

Most drive like cowboys anyway..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

I got Tboned in Nakhon Sawan a few years ago.

On a different note out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet most of the ambulances run with their emergency lights on and if they have a customer on board the whoopers and wailers are going full blast.

Hello, 

Do you live near Salokbat or Kanu?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN NOW advises all motorists to never proceed in Thailand when you have a green light. Always look in multiple directions for red light infringements by other motorists first.

Total road chaos in Thailand.. proceed with caution on a green light..

red light jumpers have priority and speed on their side.

15 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is not unknown for an ambulance to go through a red light, usually though it is in the case of every second counting in the patients life and accompanied by police at least in the UK they are.

True, but they approach the lights with caution and only proceed through carefully.

Thailand it lights and horn blaring and at full speed.

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

OMG,  have you never heard of or saying,  in the wrong place 

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

No one said he was wrong,  have you never heard the saying,  in the wrong place at the wrong time???  If he had been 5 minutes earlier or 5 minutes later,  he would still be alive,  hence the phrase,  in the wrong place at the wrong time,  

• Haha 1