Pension entitlement

tanner

A guy i was talking to a few weeks ago said he claimed to live in the uk ,(i am sure many do) he was wondering if he told the pension service he was coming to Thailand to live ,what  information would they need if any ,? or would he just say what date he left?

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

A guy i was talking to a few weeks ago said he claimed to live in the uk ,(i am sure many do) he was wondering if he told the pension service he was coming to Thailand to live ,what  information would they need if any ,? or would he just say what date he left?

He is probably a 'temporary visitor'.

15 minutes ago, DaLa said:

He is probably a 'temporary visitor'.

no he lives here permanantly ,but as he was getting older he just ,wanted to know  if he gave up his uk residency , and said he now lived here ,what would the pension service ask for ,if anything . 

18 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

no he lives here permanantly ,but as he was getting older he just ,wanted to know  if he gave up his uk residency , and said he now lived here ,what would the pension service ask for ,if anything . 

Apologies , I will clarify. Unless you have a fancy (expensive)  Thai Elite or whatever, or have gone through the (almost) impossible application for permanent residence here, or have a legit (tax paying etc) business here (most bars don't count) the remainder of non Thai in Thailand in my view are temporary travellers. They are here on a temporary basis and have to comply every  90 day  to remain here on holiday. If he was born in the UK and lived in the UK a substantial time before travelling the world I suggest he retains his UK residency.

Unfortunately the UK gov. have a different view that suits their agenda. My view is it's not their business where  and when people go on holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, ivor bigun said:

i think what he was asking was if he decided to say he now lived permanantly in THailand what would the pension service want from him ? passport  etc .

I've moved back and forth a couple of times plus I've visited the UK for several months at a time. The process is the same regardless. I just call and say I've moved to X or Y and they ask the date of my move (because they want an effective date) and how long I plan to stay. I changed my bank for pension deposit purposes this year, from the UK to Thailand. They asked me for how long and I said for at least six months (anything less than 6 months and you can't change, eg not for just a holiday). That's it, no paperwork, no follow up. 

13 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

When you die and have been claiming the yearly rises,what happens too your family that  said you lived with them in the uk?  Will they get prosecuted?

I use the last UK address I lived at, I don't know the people that currently live there and nobody ever checked. 

On 11/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, BritManToo said:

.... or for how long.

They take a different view. When I notified them this year that I'd moved back to Thailand they sent me a letter to my Thai address confirming the fact and also pointing out that I was no longer eligible for free medical care under NHS rules.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you tell any government agency where you were or what you were doing?

You got yourself no 250 pound winter fuel allowance, no 10% pension rise and no NHS treatment, pointless!

Spoken like a true Brit.

BTW can I remind you what you wrote recently in another thread: "My savings and pension are not a charity to provide for the government, illegal immigrants and the poor". I'm just wondering if your fellow countrymen feel the same way about the taxes they pay!

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Love It 1

48 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Spoken like a true Brit.

BTW can I remind you what you wrote recently in another thread: "My savings and pension are not a charity to provide for the government, illegal immigrants and the poor". I'm just wondering if your fellow countrymen feel the same way about the taxes they pay!

I paid more taxes than most of them.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I paid 20% of my income to buy my state pension.

As far as I'm concerned I'm entitled to any pension payments other pensioners get, no matter where I live.

Maybe you should spend more time worrying about Tony Blair's sudden millions and David Cameron's offshore accounts. 

I'm teasing you of course, but also I'm not. The fact is that people can't make up their own sets of rules on this and decide what rules they want to follow and how. The fact is you can't justify it and be right. But hey, each to their own.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm teasing you of course, but also I'm not. The fact is that people can't make up their own sets of rules on this and decide what rules they want to follow and how. The fact is you can't justify it and be right. But hey, each to their own.

I've always made my own rules for everything!

And as far as I'm concerned, a man who doesn't take what he's owed isn't a man.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, Harveyboy said:

but these payments can be made to Foreigners/immigrants who have never worked a day or paid onto the system Shame on our government.. 

Why so discriminate? British citizens who gave lived off benefits all their lives get a pension. 

I think you'll find it is very difficult, if not impossible, for immigrants and foreigners to claim anything. If they are on a visa they cannot claim, if they are on settlement they must be working so do pay into the system. The small minority on asylum seeking benefits do receive something. I would think they would swap their situation to that of more freedom to work and pay into the system in a flash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

When you die and have been claiming the yearly rises,what happens too your family that  said you lived with them in the uk?  Will they get prosecuted?

If your relatives deny knowing that you were using their address then I guess - and it is just that 'a guess' - that it would be more trouble than it is worth for DWP to prosecute them. However - another guess - DWP will probably try to recover the overpaid amount (plus a penalty?) from your estate. My father died on 15 May and I had to repay 16 days pension from his estate.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RayC said:

If your relatives deny knowing that you were using their address then I guess - and it is just that 'a guess' - that it would be more trouble than it is worth for DWP to prosecute them. However - another guess - DWP will probably try to recover the overpaid amount (plus a penalty?) from your estate. My father died on 15 May and I had to repay 16 days pension from his estate.

I think that's a pretty accurate guess.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RayC said:

However - another guess - DWP will probably try to recover the overpaid amount (plus a penalty?) from your estate. My father died on 15 May and I had to repay 16 days pension from his estate.

If it was an overpayment while he was alive they can do this.  If it was to rectify a payment made after his death (maybe a timing issue in his death being reported and filtering through the system) they may ask for its repayment but there is no legal need to pay it.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/01/dwp-has--no-legal-power--to-force-you-to-repay-pension-or-benefi/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Indeed not, but it does give us lots of practice, and we're really good at it!

Particularly when it comes to winding up smug civvies!

Incidentally for anyone, if you are in the UK, are ex forces, and have nowhere to turn, try the RBL. Every county has a full time officer, and they have lots of case officer volunteers. They may not be able to give you direct financial aid but they have a shedload of influence, and know which buttons to push! I was a case officer for a while when I retired from the Army - a suit, regimental tie, it's amazing the doors I could open with my "galloping major act"!

great reply  Brother..

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

ok I agree all scroungers are as bad Home grown or foreign..but I disagree it's a lot easier for immigrants to claim many different types of benefits...that's for sure ..our woke government makes sure of that.

3 days ago front page news 11 immigrants left out in the cold ..hell to play they were put into a hotel that night..

I then scrolled down hopefully to read that thousands of my fellow servicemen living on the streets had also been given a bed for the night .. wishful thinking eh

With regards to servicemen.Just because it's not in the news does not mean it happens.

You do know the definition of homeless, don't you? You don't need to be on the streets to be deemed homeless. Many are helped out day by day.

When the press report immigrants have been placed in a hotel you do realise its more like a room, don't you? It's not a hotel with all the frills. They're not lying on the bed, watching Netflix and ordering room service.

That said, I fo believe it has now got out of hand. The recent unrest st the immigration centre should be handled with iron fists. Anyone who causes trouble sent straight back to their country of origin.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just read iin a paper,a couple have had to cancel their weding reception,which the had booked for monhes and their overnight stay because it was being taken over for illegals yo stay,britains gone mad.

yep the idiots are running the asylum eh.. country finished ..done gone to the dogs ..let em keep the cesspit..

Edited by Harveyboy
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, BritManToo said:

I paid 20% of my income to buy my state pension and NHS entitlement.

As far as I'm concerned I'm entitled to any pension payments other pensioners get, no matter where I live.

Maybe you should spend more time worrying about Tony Blair's sudden millions and David Cameron's offshore accounts, these guys are crooks, I'm just claiming what I paid for.. 

yep same here I worked 50 years for good old UK I decided to spend my last days here in the Sun..because of that I'm not entitled to anything that others Many who have never worked a day in their life get..should not matter where I live my pension is not a gift by the UK  I earned it