Pension entitlement

tanner

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Are you asking about a UK State Pension or a private pension from an employer?

If a State Pension, then you've already been given the correct answer, if a private pension from an employer, some will pay to a widow and some will not, even then it depends on what scheme you're in, you'd need to talk to the scheme administrator.

Correct. Very many occupational pension trustees pay 50% to a surviving widow,but will reduce this amount proportionately if she is more than 10 years younger. It’s often spelled out in the general terms. 
Another tip is to advise the pension trustees she is your nominated beneficiary , advising them English isn’t her first language and lodge a copy of her passport and marriage certificate with them to preempt the requirement for her to provide ID when the time comes for her to claim.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Correct. Very many occupational pension trustees pay 50% to a surviving widow,but will reduce this amount proportionately if she is more than 10 years younger. It’s often spelled out in the general terms. 
Another tip is to advise the pension trustees she is your nominated beneficiary , advising them English isn’t her first language and lodge a copy of her passport and marriage certificate with them to preempt the requirement for her to provide ID when the time comes for her to claim.

Some private pensions pay 50% plus a further 25% for a child still in education. But some do make deductions for age difference after the first 10 years age difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lungbing said:

In my company's scheme  there is no deduction for  more than a ten year age gap, and you have to be married before you started to claim the pension in order to  enable her to eventually get her widow's 50% pension.

With mine there is a reduction.....my partner will get 45% of my gross pension prior to my lump sum.

Don't need to be married, just submit a nomination form.

To answer the OP  - "no" to the bereavement benefit - unless she is resident in the UK at the time of making a claim. They sneaked the change in, in the Pensions Act 2014.

BEREAVEMENT BENEFITS IN THAILAND

The Pensions Act 2014 became law on 14th May 2015, when it received the Royal Assent. It comes into force on 6th April 2016

With effect 6th April 2016, Thai Widows, living in Thailand, will not be eligible for any benefits under new laws which are known as Bereavement support payment. To be eligible to receive benefits (formerly known as bereavement benefits).....

(1) A person is entitled to a benefit called bereavement support payment if—

the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,

Thailand, unfortunately is NOT a specified territory.

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Our company pension has the age provision. The survivor's benefit deminishes each year after 10. A female union staff member coined it the "Trophy Wife clause". Our bargaining committee got a good chuckle out of that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, pegman said:

Our company pension has the age provision. The survivor's benefit deminishes each year after 10. A female union staff member coined it the "Trophy Wife clause". Our bargaining committee got a good chuckle out of that. 

It’s actually a fair condition when considering actuarial tables.

Please remember you are a UK pensioner not one from a country that actually looks after its retired You ..Me.. we Get sweet FA from a country we paid into all our lives  one of the lowest paid pension in Europe..and of like me you have decided to finish out your days here in Thailand ..no cost of living increase...milk us to the last drop then abandoned..Pension for your wife you are lucky to get one for yourself 

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

With mine there is a reduction.....my partner will get 45% of my gross pension prior to my lump sum.

Don't need to be married, just submit a nomination form.

To answer the OP  - "no" to the bereavement benefit - unless she is resident in the UK at the time of making a claim. They sneaked the change in, in the Pensions Act 2014.

BEREAVEMENT BENEFITS IN THAILAND

The Pensions Act 2014 became law on 14th May 2015, when it received the Royal Assent. It comes into force on 6th April 2016

With effect 6th April 2016, Thai Widows, living in Thailand, will not be eligible for any benefits under new laws which are known as Bereavement support payment. To be eligible to receive benefits (formerly known as bereavement benefits).....

(1) A person is entitled to a benefit called bereavement support payment if—

the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,

Thailand, unfortunately is NOT a specified territory.

but these payments can be made to Foreigners/immigrants who have never worked a day or paid onto the system Shame on our government.. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Please remember you are a UK pensioner not one from a country that actually looks after its retired You ..Me.. we Get sweet FA from a country we paid into all our lives  one of the lowest paid pension in Europe..and of like me you have decided to finish out your days here in Thailand ..no cost of living increase...milk us to the last drop then abandoned..Pension for your wife you are lucky to get one for yourself 

Stop whining and just get on with your life. You knew knew what the score was before you came here.

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging Poms!

On 9/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, hotandsticky said:

Stop whining and just get on with your life. You knew knew what the score was before you came here.

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging Poms!

G'day mate having a bad day   and actually when i came here no one knew the score to how it would be  in 2022   don't you feel a bit silly now ha   ok so im back to my whining you can go back to your barstool Cobba 

Just now, Harveyboy said:

G'day mate having a bad day   and actually when i came here no one knew the score to how it would be  in 2022   don't you feel a bit silly now ha   ok so im back to my whining you can go back to your barstool Cobba 

I don't use bar stools, I don't feel silly and I was bright enough in 2006 to ensure that I could live comfortably even @ GBP/THB 30..........and you whinger?

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't use bar stools, I don't feel silly and I was bright enough in 2006 to ensure that I could live comfortably even @ GBP/THB 30..........and you whinger?

ok Sir ..i worked my life for the country i served in HM forces it gives me the right  to whine i earned the right .. How about you ..dole was it !! 

didn't say I didn't i don't  have  cash now did I ? seems you may still be hung over ..if you ever want to get into earnings pre Thailand id shock you  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

ok Sir ..i worked my life for the country i served in HM forces it gives me the right  to whine i earned the right .. How about you ..dole was it !! 

didn't say I didn't i don't  have  cash now did I ? seems you may still be hung over ..if you ever want to get into earnings pre Thailand id shock you  

You seem to be obsessed with booze/bars  - and whining!

Being a squaddie doesn't give you the right to whine.

Just now, hotandsticky said:

You seem to be obsessed with booze/bars  - and whining!

Being a squaddie doesn't give you the right to whine.

Wine Wine love Wine always use to buy the best  i was rather a connoisseur in my time ..Not whining about    good for a Squaddie   and actually it gives me the right to do or say what  i please  as for you comment yes id go to a Bar..id drink Booze ..and id whine  there was only beer No Wine   ha 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:28 PM, Harveyboy said:

yes Shame on the British government the way it treats its retirees..we get a pittance to survive on 

Actually, I get a far larger Brit state pension than I ever expected (180 pounds/week).

I also can't think of another western country that I'd want to trade my Brit citizenship.  

Glad I'm not from Oz or NZ where I'd not be allowed to claim the pension I worked all my life to earn.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Indeed not, but it does give us lots of practice, and we're really good at it!

Particularly when it comes to winding up smug civvies!

Incidentally for anyone, if you are in the UK, are ex forces, and have nowhere to turn, try the RBL. Every county has a full time officer, and they have lots of case officer volunteers. They may not be able to give you direct financial aid but they have a shedload of influence, and know which buttons to push! I was a case officer for a while when I retired from the Army - a suit, regimental tie, it's amazing the doors I could open with my "galloping major act"!

RBL do a great job, I have been a member for years.

They have helped several people here in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Some "google it" troll posts and the replies have been removed as that is an unhelpful "link" to the source of information people are looking for.  If you are unwilling or cannot provide a link to the source of information, don't bother posting.  

P.S. Turn off your Caps Lock when posting as there is no need to SHOUT!