Cheap Charlies Opening In Naklua.....

piston broke

Got chatting to a bloke in a bar last night and he's friends with the Owner of "Cheap Charlies" Restaurant in Soi Bukkou (and Jomtien) - Reckons they are opening up on the Naklua Road, in the old Kiss Food place.....

If this is true, it will be a welcome addition to the area...There hasn't been anything like this since "World Of Sport" shut it's doors 8 or 9 years ago...

Remember you heard it here first....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Risky move, not busy area there unlike Buakhao and Jomtien

With that name, it just can´t go wrong anywhere! All foreigners in Pattaya that are complaining over how much money they have to show for their visa extensions are going to line up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BigStar said:

In Naklua, they originate in the obvious number of Italian and German restos. If you can't find them, visit First Optic for an inexpensive eye test. 

Np need for the insult. What's an eye test got to do with me answering your question?

So are you saying that the aforementioned foods are NOT German or Italian in ORIGIN. Is Chicken Chow Mein not Chinese, or Rogan Josh not Indian, both of which you can get anywhere in the World, together with Bratwurst or Pizza.?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

Not a big fan of the place, but good for them seems like one of the few successful restaurants that continues to expand.

As far as western food in or near Naklua, Terminal 21 has several western choices including Arno's which I think has the best burger in the city.

But, "western" is really the opinion and experience of where a person came from.  Breakfasts in most western countries for example are not the same.

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Np need for the insult. What's an eye test got to do with me answering your question?

So are you saying that the aforementioned foods are NOT German or Italian in ORIGIN. Is Chicken Chow Mein not Chinese, or Rogan Josh not Indian, both of which you can get anywhere in the World, together with Bratwurst or Pizza.?

Obviously not. Let me not get started on the cognitive issue again. The poster claimed that Naklua is like a desert for western food. But most of the world accept that bratwurst and pizza have been--for quite some time, in fact--notably characteristic Western food, Germany and Italy long regarded as European countries.

As noted, Naklua has plenty of German and Italian restos serving said dishes and more. Schnitzel, for example, which I bought some time ago at Bei Gerhardt for my friend Hans. He indeed considered it German, and therefore, Western, food. Shockingly, he doesn't at all regard Naklua as a desert for Western food. On the contrary.????

I guess the problem here is that our Brit provincials who've washed up in Pattaya think that the only Western food is proper baked beans on toast, the shortage of which Cheap Charlies will now remedy in Naklua. It's rather like their difficulty in conceiving that not everyone wants to watch UK streaming TV.

• Like 2

I think cheap charlies on buakhaow is a well run place with good food and good service in a nice clean atmosphere with pleasant staff all at very fair prices.  Obviously I am not the only one who feels this way as it sure appears to me to be busy most all the time.  I mostly eat their Thai food dishes which are wonderful....try the chicken with cashew nuts and veggies. Delicious.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Obviously not. Let me not get started on the cognitive issue again. The poster claimed that Naklua is like a desert for western food. But most of the world accept that bratwurst and pizza have been--for quite some time, in fact--notably characteristic Western food, Germany and Italy long regarded as European countries.

As noted, Naklua has plenty of German and Italian restos serving said dishes and more. Schnitzel, for example, which I bought some time ago at Bei Gerhardt for my friend Hans. He indeed considered it German, and therefore, Western, food. Shockingly, he doesn't at all regard Naklua as a desert for Western food. On the contrary.????

I guess the problem here is that our Brit provincials who've washed up in Pattaya think that the only Western food is proper baked beans on toast, the shortage of which Cheap Charlies will now remedy in Naklua. It's rather like their difficulty in conceiving that not everyone wants to watch UK streaming TV.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood that you were actually saying that Bratwurst & Pizza ARE Western food, and that if I couldn't find them, get some specs. Unfortunatly I live nowhere near Pattaya (thank goodness).

But you still need to have a go at Brits. Where are you from? I bet they've got some 5hit food there as well.  555

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with CC is their portion size is children size, i have to eat before or after i go. * There are exceptions, roast dinner, half chicken and chips

Thought I'd give the newish Jomtien one a try, ordered the particular daily "special" of Chicken and Cashew nuts ( I'd read decent reports of their Thai offerings ), not 1 single cashew nut in evidence and with the main ingredient being sparse I left hungry and disappointed.  I was going to say it's a definite case of you get what you pay for, but in my case I didn't ????.

7 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Thought I'd give the newish Jomtien one a try, ordered the particular daily "special" of Chicken and Cashew nuts ( I'd read decent reports of their Thai offerings ), not 1 single cashew nut in evidence and with the main ingredient being sparse I left hungry and disappointed.  I was going to say it's a definite case of you get what you pay for, but in my case I didn't ????.

Doesn't sound good. I'm not a fan of small portions, it just makes people eat junk to make up the deficit, need to be proper full if someone doesn't want to gain weight

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kinyara said:

was it 55 baht ....  ????

I think this is a non-starter. There are not enough Western expats or tourists in the area, German speakers excepted and they are well catered for. Kiss didn't renew their lease for a reason, same for World of Sport.

I think The Darkside or Pratumnak areas are more likely destinations.

19 hours ago, champers said:

I think this is a non-starter. There are not enough Western expats or tourists in the area, German speakers excepted and they are well catered for. Kiss didn't renew their lease for a reason, same for World of Sport.

I think The Darkside or Pratumnak areas are more likely destinations.

i know loads and loads of English / Aus expats that live in naklua ....

It's the "English" style stuff we'd be interested in not German....

I'm sure we'll be regular visitors when Cheap Charlies Naklua opens it's doors.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kinyara said:

complete opposite experience at buakhaow,,,never got so many cashews ever in that dish...large portion and nice fresh chicken peppers onions and tasted wonderful....99 baht regular menu item and price.....

3 hours ago, piston broke said:

i know loads and loads of English / Aus expats that live in naklua ....

It's the "English" style stuff we'd be interested in not German....

I'm sure we'll be regular visitors when Cheap Charlies Naklua opens it's doors.

Fair enough, but I disagree that enough Brits and Aussies are around, particularly when compared to 15 or even 10 years ago. Their food is OK but no big deal. I would maybe go once a month or so.

Gregs tried to make a go of it accross from the Crystal Palace Hotel but didn't succeed; not enough customers.

Prior to Covid more and more Chinese and Korean places were moving into the area.

I wish Cheap Charlies well, wherever they end up expanding.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, properperson said:

Are you kidding ? 

i for one will be a regular patron.

As OP stated, Naklua is like a desert for western food.

I'm not kidding, but I'm laughing.

CC's is not quality "western food". It's like going to a cafeteria or college dining hall in the West. In other words just bland stuff that has no spice or kick to it or stuff that's mass produced and microwaved (like a TV dinner).

I can't figure out why expats eat there more then a couple times, other then the familiarity factor or the marketing or funny name ????. They are not cheap in comparison to local Thai eateries.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I can't figure out why expats eat there more then a couple times, other then the familiarity factor or the marketing or funny name ????. They are not cheap in comparison to local Thai eateries.

Perhaps they do not like Thai food, or have aversions to too much sugar, MSG or spicey food gives them issues. Maybe they don't like to see the dishes being washed in a small bowl of filthy water or have dogs wandering around them, or cannot communicate with the staff. Not so difficult to figure out....

CC's is cheap food compared to most Western food places.

Edited by jacko45k