Problem with my Everest - can anyone identify the issue?

Batty

Hello chaps. I have a 2016 Everest, 3.2 Titanium, with a whopping 140K on the clock. Recently there has been an issue with the engine in some way (I guess the engine, I have no idea). When driving, regardless of speed, it judders. Hard one to explain really. Its almost like you take your foot off the accelorator for a split second, without actually doing so. Does that make sense? It just sort of stutters, every 5 or 10 seconds. It started a few months ago and has got a little bit worse. Its not really bad - its just a worry because clearly somehting is wrong.

My last service a couple months back, I told them about it and they found nothing. I suspect they didnt really look. They just said "all the usual checks are fine" in other words they didnt bother investigating, probably. I remember when I told the head mechanic about the problem he was just nodding along saying 'kup, kup, kup', you know when you get a sense that Thais arent really listening, and just nodding along? Not bashing the guy, by the way. Just saying.

Any ideas wht it could be? Im hoping something minor like a blocked fuel line or something, but worry it could be somethign far, far worse like the clutch is buggered. It would be great if I could get an idea from any experts in here, because I want to take it to a local garage, but I worry they might try and stitch me up if I go in bling and just say "I have no clue what the problem is". If I look like i have *some* idea, it might reduce the chances of getting bent over and rogered with a fat length somchai schlong.

Any ideas?

Actually while I am here, anyone know where to buy trim for an Everest? My seat trim - the hard plastic that encases the reclining buttons - is broken and I need to replace it. I looked on Lazada etc but nothing. Went to a few scrap yards, again nothing. Im sure Ford could order it for me but I expect it will cost 10K up with them.

Cheers!

At a guess, most likely a sensor or fuel problem - filter or water in the fuel.

The way to deal with mechanics is to put them in the vehicle with you, and drive it so the fault occurs while you are both there. If they are still in denial, time to go somewhere else.

Bear in mind many independent mechanics are sometimes more competent than dealership mechanics, because they have to be.

• Like 2

Ford dealerships don’t have a great reputation in Thailand for service. 

As your vehicle is now outside of warranty it may be worth finding a Garage which deals with ford who may give it more dedicated attention. 

Either that, or take it back to the dealership and ‘be awkward’, ask to speak with the service manager - tell him of the issue, ask to take a mechanic on a test-drive to show him the issue. 

That said, ultimately, if the mechanics at the dealership are lazy and not interested in investigating its a difficult one.

I had a similar issue with a Mazda - they didn’t really bother looking hard enough for a simple fault until we pulled strings and dealt with-someone higher up... we then received outstanding service and they found the fault !!! (broken engine mount).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Any ideas ?

As said could be a number of things but I'd say fuel sensor but my advice would be take to a Ford dealership and ask them to do a plug in computer analysis check on all systems, if that checks out OK it will be something mechanical.

My first thought would be a fuel filter issue.  In that, I concur with several others here.

Is this a gas or a diesel?  (The comment saying this model doesn't have plugs makes me wonder, as I had assumed it would be an unleaded gasoline vehicle.--which I would expect to have plugs.)  I'm not sure about the diesel engines, but for a gas engine you could buy some “Heat” / alcohol and add a few tablespoons to the tank to help the water pass on through the system. If it's not a water issue, you'll want to have the filters inspected and either cleaned or changed. They can be tricky to find sometimes, depending on the model. There are filters that are inside the tank, at the opening of the tank, in the fuel line, at the carburetor/fuel injector.  This time of year, moisture problems could easily occur.

Think of the wave action in the tank or filter every time the vehicle jolts or shudders.  It might be just enough to clear the opening, allowing some fuel through, after which, as the ride smooths out again, the water again covers it (water is heavier, and sinks to the bottom, but could slosh to one side if the car is moving erratically; and sediment could slide a bit, too).  That would be why it goes in fits and spurts.  Water will not so easily pass through the fine screen of the filter as the fuel, due to its polarity and cohesiveness.

I had a car once, though, that had a problem similar to the description which had something to do with the vacuum lines, and it's been too long to remember the details.  But I don't recall that it was a consistent issue; more sporadic, I think.

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

My first thought would be a fuel filter issue.  In that, I concur with several others here.

Is this a gas or a diesel?  (The comment saying this model doesn't have plugs makes me wonder, as I had assumed it would be an unleaded gasoline vehicle.--which I would expect to have plugs.)  I'm not sure about the diesel engines, but for a gas engine you could buy some “Heat” / alcohol and add a few tablespoons to the tank to help the water pass on through the system. If it's not a water issue, you'll want to have the filters inspected and either cleaned or changed. They can be tricky to find sometimes, depending on the model. There are filters that are inside the tank, at the opening of the tank, in the fuel line, at the carburetor/fuel injector.  This time of year, moisture problems could easily occur.

Think of the wave action in the tank or filter every time the vehicle jolts or shudders.  It might be just enough to clear the opening, allowing some fuel through, after which, as the ride smooths out again, the water again covers it (water is heavier, and sinks to the bottom, but could slosh to one side if the car is moving erratically; and sediment could slide a bit, too).  That would be why it goes in fits and spurts.  Water will not so easily pass through the fine screen of the filter as the fuel, due to its polarity and cohesiveness.

I had a car once, though, that had a problem similar to the description which had something to do with the vacuum lines, and it's been too long to remember the details.  But I don't recall that it was a consistent issue; more sporadic, I think.

2016 Everest were never sold with a gasoline engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

Just to burst your bubble here sunshine.

Ford (Everest 2.2) coming up on 5 years with nary a problem.

Entertainement system upgraded under warranty, at Fords request..

So maybe your comments shld be curbed.

Come back when it is 10+ plus years old and well out of warranty.

Izusu and Toyota go on to a very old age, with very few probs, built in reliability......????

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

Come back when it is 10+ plus years old and well out of warranty.

Izusu and Toyota go on to a very old age, with very few probs, built in reliability......????

Another one to burst their bubble.

Have one of each which, plus Honda car, and all great vehicles, as is my current Ford.

But this is about Ford's mate, and as I only keep any vehicle only 5-6 years before buying a new one, I don't really care about 10 years from now.

You seem so disappointed that other people like Ford. Maybe time to update your narrow views. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Another one to burst their bubble.

Have one of each which, plus Honda car, and all great vehicles, as is my current Ford.

But this is about Ford's mate, and as I only keep any vehicle only 5-6 years before buying a new one, I don't really care about 10 years from now.

You seem so disappointed that other people like Ford. Maybe time to update your narrow views. 

Then you should have told us you sell it on at five years, probably just in case, eh...????

Strange that many topics over the years here have been Ford issues, but of course all Fords will not have an issue, like yours, but soon to be despatched.....????

Not sure about the desiel, but it could be an injector problem.

With benzine engines you can get an additive to add to the fuel tank that cleans the injectors.

Also you can buy an engine analyser that plugs in probably somewhere under the dash and then you will get a readout of problems.

If you search the internet you will be able to find a workshop manual for your car.

I know all this cause I bought a second hand Jazz that developed an intermittant problem and I changed ERG, fuel filter, cleaned injectors, replaced spark plugs and leads ++, and it was the ECU (or engine computer).

So if you buy the engine analyser and workshop manual, should be good to find the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Not sure about the desiel, but it could be an injector problem.

With benzine engines you can get an additive to add to the fuel tank that cleans the injectors.

Also you can buy an engine analyser that plugs in probably somewhere under the dash and then you will get a readout of problems.

If you search the internet you will be able to find a workshop manual for your car.

I know all this cause I bought a second hand Jazz that developed an intermittant problem and I changed ERG, fuel filter, cleaned injectors, replaced spark plugs and leads ++, and it was the ECU (or engine computer).

So if you buy the engine analyser and workshop manual, should be good to find the problem.

The OP's vehicle is diesel...

Prolly should have understood that before typing the long winde3d dribble you did.

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The OP's vehicle is diesel...

Prolly should have understood that before typing the long winde3d dribble you did.

Prolly (sic) should have read my dribble. ???? I know it was diesel, but don't know if the deisel is injected.

Some people do come on this forum to try and help.

best to get to know a local garage that specializes in Fords, there's no point going to the dealer once the warranty is out. Any Ford mechanic worth his salt would be opening his own shop,

It could be anything from (in order of expensiveness to fix) bad fuel, filter, pump, injector or compression loss in one of they cylinders that could be from bad gasket, piston ring or cylinder heads

Intake pipe cracks is also common for the 3.2, does the exhaust smokes when you accelerate? 

Thanks for all the replies chaps, appreciate it.  Too mnay to reply to each one individually, so I will just answer a couple things here.

Its a diesel, I should have said. Also, there are a few people here that seem to be hating on Ford? There must be a reason why they are saying that, Im sure. But honestly mine has been absolutely fine. This is the first problem I have had in 6 years. I havent even changed the break pads yet or even a wiper blade. I have been all over Thailand doing road trips and used to put the back seats down flat and throw a bed in there, along with a power source, laptop, jesus even a little LED lamp lol, so whenever I got tired on a long drive I would just stop at a petrol station and jump in the back for 4 or 5 hours, all while leaving the engine running and air con on full. I must have done that 50 times (i dont anymore) never caused a problem.

I still drives like it is new, as far as I can tell (apart from the recent juddering thing)

Its been a brilliant car, honestly.

• Like 1