Cubans approve gay marriage by large margin in referendum

Scott

Cuba, Country, Flag, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba

HAVANA, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Cubans approved gay marriage and adoption overwhelmingly in a Sunday referendum backed by the government that also boosted rights for women, the national election commission said on Monday.

More than 3.9 million voters voted to ratify the code (66.9%), while 1.95 million opposed ratification (33%), Alina Balseiro Gutierrez, president of the commission, said on state-run television on Monday.

"Justice has been done," Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel wrote in a tweet.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/cubans-approve-gay-marriage-by-large-margin-referendum-2022-09-26/

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, pegman said:

Nearly 4,000,000 people voted in favour of these rights for gay people in Cuba. Shortly six judges on the Supreme Catholic Court of the United States will take away those rights in it's neighbour to the north.

...and your evidence of this would be.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Dobbs. Even before that the Supremes had been steadily eroding that right.

No relevance whatsoever. As stated clearly by Justice Alito in the ruling. You and others are just being paranoid and once again trying to tack an American political issue where it does not belong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

No relevance whatsoever. As stated clearly by Justice Alito in the ruling. You and others are just being paranoid and once again trying to tack an American political issue where it does not belong.

First off, Clarence Thomas disagreed. And Judge Alito didn't say it wouldn't happen. He just said that the Dobbs decision had no relevance. It may have no legal relevance but given his views and the fact that he rejected a doctrine of long standing, and the gay marriage decision is not of long standing, it does have predictive relevance. 

15 hours ago, pegman said:

Nearly 4,000,000 people voted in favour of these rights for gay people in Cuba. Shortly six judges on the Supreme Catholic Court of the United States will take away those rights in it's neighbour to the north.

They might but there is still time to fight for rights to be codified by congress.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First off, Clarence Thomas disagreed. And Judge Alito didn't say it wouldn't happen. He just said that the Dobbs decision had no relevance. It may have no legal relevance but given his views and the fact that he rejected a doctrine of long standing, and the gay marriage decision is not of long standing, it does have predictive relevance. 

One justice out of nine.  That is what is worrying you?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

...and your evidence of this would be.....

What was said by people like you prior to the end of Roe.  Something or other about precedence.  Seem to remember some court nominees mentioning it also.  

14 minutes ago, pegman said:

What was said by people like you prior to the end of Roe.  Something or other about precedence.  Seem to remember some court nominees mentioning it also.  

"People like me"?  What does that mean?  Something tells me that you have very little contact with "people like me".  I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun politically, yet I don't know anyone who has a problem with gay marriage, contraception, etc.  Perhaps you need to expand your social circle...

Pretty weak sauce my friend.