Your experience with SIM card routers

Mickeymaus

I'm in Pattaya and currently using 3BB VDSL for internet. Now my idea is to switch to a SIM card router. Much cheaper and more flexible in terms of locations. Speed tests at my location using a friend's phone showed good results for True Move. DTAC was much slower at my location. But will it always be the same? Will I have connection problems or other issues?

I checked out Lazada and there you can find some "funny" routers. One with 6 antennas for example. Unfortunately only 4 antennas had a connection and the other two were fake... Also the description with 5G and WiFi 6+ or whatever - just lies... So maybe I better buy something with a real brand name like TP-Link or Huawei. What is your experience in this regard?

I have a 

TP-LINK M7200 ส่งKerry ประกันศูนย์ 1 ปี เร้าเตอร์ใส่ซิม(แบบพกพา) Pocket wi-fi 3G/4G ROUTER | Lazada.co.th

with a True 

[ ซิมเทพทรู ] ซิมเน็ตไม่อั้น ซิมเทพ 15mbps 1ปี Unlimited ไม่ลดสปีด โทรฟรีในเครือข่าย True 1 ปี มีใบกำกับภาษี จัดส่งฟรี ซิมเทพธอร์ WPNmobile Sim | Lazada.co.th

The Sim card did not work with the router at first, but worked with a True 4G AirCard Surf, so it took it into Ture Shop Robinsons in Kan and the nice lady copied the Sim onto a New Sim and it worked, speed 150.0 Mpbs.

The router works on my two lap-top and my mobile photo all at the same time. Both router and Sim work good and carry it around with me all the time when out.

Good luck

Win ????

P.S. trying to find a 5G one, but no luck as yet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Back in February I bought a '4G LTE 300Mbps' router from Lazada for ฿900.  Worked very well with AIS 15Mbps SIM.  No issues - I get a good strong signal from AIS here near Pratamnak. I think they pretty much all work just fine if you have a solid cell signal.

I also had a tiny 'pocket' 4G router that I took when travelling. That also worked great if you got a decent 4G signal. Unfortunately left it in a coffee shop somewhere.....

I have just had 3BB Fibre Internet installed (I need high speed for gaming) so the 4G router is for sale if you want it at ฿400. 

Which model is it? 

At the moment I am thinking about this because of the LAN ports. Has good reviews. Sadly the antennas can't be removed. So I can't install an external so easily. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dwr-m920-d-link-wireless-n300-4g-lte-router-by-vnix-group-i794564720-s1593010653.html?clickTrackInfo=query%3Arouter%2Bsim%2Bcard%2BD-link%3Bnid%3A794564720%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A391664f43866b3f670d280fef3eda1b5%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A794564720_TH%3Bprice%3A1449.00%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100169095%3Basc_category_id%3A3963%3Bitem_id%3A794564720%3Bsku_id%3A1593010653%3Bshop_id%3A195319&freeshipping=0&fs_ab=1&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.16

3 hours ago, Kan Win said:

I have a 

TP-LINK M7200 ส่งKerry ประกันศูนย์ 1 ปี เร้าเตอร์ใส่ซิม(แบบพกพา) Pocket wi-fi 3G/4G ROUTER | Lazada.co.th

with a True 

[ ซิมเทพทรู ] ซิมเน็ตไม่อั้น ซิมเทพ 15mbps 1ปี Unlimited ไม่ลดสปีด โทรฟรีในเครือข่าย True 1 ปี มีใบกำกับภาษี จัดส่งฟรี ซิมเทพธอร์ WPNmobile Sim | Lazada.co.th

The Sim card did not work with the router at first, but worked with a True 4G AirCard Surf, so it took it into Ture Shop Robinsons in Kan and the nice lady copied the Sim onto a New Sim and it worked, speed 150.0 Mpbs.

The router works on my two lap-top and my mobile photo all at the same time. Both router and Sim work good and carry it around with me all the time when out.

Good luck

Win ????

P.S. trying to find a 5G one, but no luck as yet.

did you mean 15 and not 150?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

another option is you can just consider a cheap Android phone and use it's hotspot.  

3000 baht for a samsung.  I'm sure there are much cheaper, but then you have an additional phone and useable device in the house as well.

I actually just use the SIM from my phone as the hotspot for the house.  If I'm not there it's not needed, right?

That's more than an entry level 4G router. Android phone is not suitable for use as a permanent hotspot anyway. Plus you'd have to make sure the cheap Android phone has carrier aggregation enabled. Not only that, but enabled for the channels needed for the network that you choose.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You think? So that download taking place has to stop because you are going out? Anyone else using the Internet has to use their phone as a hotspot or wait until you get back?

That's also going to be great fun for the battery of the device.

It's a terrible idea. Only useful if you have nothing else.

both gf and I have phone in the house. So all good.  4 years and running no problems.  

What in the world are you downloading in this day and age?  If you need that, yes have a designated device in the home (which is what my suggestion was).

Know your own needs.  NO one but you will know what you need but you. I don't need it. I shared my experience, not recommended it.

I also said "alternative", and something that would give him a 2nd device in the home and a choice he can make.  I never said better (or worse).  It's just different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

both gf and I have phone in the house. So all good.  4 years and running no problems.  

What in the world are you downloading in this day and age?  If you need that, yes have a designated device in the home (which is what my suggestion was).

Know your own needs.  NO one but you will know what you need but you. I don't need it. I shared my experience, not recommended it.

I also said "alternative", and something that would give him a 2nd device in the home and a choice he can make.  I never said better (or worse).  It's just different.

I am saying that it's worse and anyway he would have another device in the home if he buys a router. What advantage is there to spending more on another mobile phone?

The OP asked about a router, not using a mobile phone about a HotSpot.

Windows images, for instance, can take a while to download, you cannot stream them ????

Back ups to the cloud. Do they need to stop because you are popping out to the shops?

Seriously, it's a terrible idea. Useful only if you already have a smartphone and nothing else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Did this for 6 months and worked fine (using Truemove)

Then one day it suddenly went to <deleted> and was too slow to use, felt almost like they detected I was using a hotspot router and slowed it down

The speed went right up when putting the sim back into the phone

Is this on your 4 Mbps Truemove H connection or another SIM pack?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Did this for 6 months and worked fine (using Truemove)

Then one day it suddenly went to <deleted> and was too slow to use, felt almost like they detected I was using a hotspot router and slowed it down

The speed went right up when putting the sim back into the phone

I read somewhere about the same experience of others. They said that they check the EMEI. And if it is not a phone but a router they slow the speed down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Use a reliable speed test, such as Test My: https://testmy.net 

Your "friend's phone" is a useless description. It might be applying carrier aggregation. If so, then your router may need to offer the same conditions. Prices would then be around 3.5k, as opposed to 1.5k.

Furthermore, there are no 'affordable' unlimited plans that offer 40 Mbps in the first place. Unless you are planning to make do with 70 GB per month.

The best you can do currently, is 30 Mbps with DTAC. Truemove H might be able to offer 30 Mbps at 235 baht per month, though possibly only through independent outlets or via the call centre.

Otherwise it's 20 Mbps all round. 

I made such a big mistake. I am feeling ashamed for that but I want to be honest. Last year my friend used my WiFi and we both forgot. His phone connected to my WiFi yesterday and we didn't realise this. Therefore the unbelievable good speed of about 40/40 - at least for a SIM Card. Today we checked again and by accident my WiFi was switched off. The speed today was only about 15/10. This with the True Move Thor SIM from Lazada. Still better than DTAC that showed only 5/5 at my location. This SIM has 30 Mbps speed but only 30 GB. DTAC is checking now why it is so slow... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

I made such a big mistake. I am feeling ashamed for that but I want to be honest. Last year my friend used my WiFi and we both forgot. His phone connected to my WiFi yesterday and we didn't realise this. Therefore the unbelievable good speed of about 40/40 - at least for a SIM Card. Today we checked again and by accident my WiFi was switched off. The speed today was only about 15/10. This with the True Move Thor SIM from Lazada. Still better than DTAC that showed only 5/5 at my location. This SIM has 30 Mbps speed but only 30 GB. DTAC is checking now why it is so slow... 

Easy mistake to make.

Have you tried AIS? You can choose unlimited 15 or 20 Mbps with them. They did, until recently, have an unlimited 30 Mbps option at 235 baht per month. 

Try a normal 50 baht SIM to test the max speed you can get with them. If more than 20 Mbps, then go for their 20 Mbps offer.

You can add a day pack to the Truemove H SIM to test the max you can get with them. https://pre-truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/volume_base_internet_package_en.html

If 20 to 30 Mbps, you can choose either their 20 Mbps(200 baht) or 30 Mbps(235 baht) offerings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dart12 said:

another option is you can just consider a cheap Android phone and use it's hotspot.  

3000 baht for a samsung.  I'm sure there are much cheaper, but then you have an additional phone and useable device in the house as well.

I actually just use the SIM from my phone as the hotspot for the house.  If I'm not there it's not needed, right?

I had several pocket wi-fis all packed up, brought a cheap Hawaei 4yrs ago use that as a hotspot when need DTac.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dart12 said:

I'm doing the same with Samsung A23 using 6Mbps unlimited AIS. Works fine for most of the time except real slowdown from 6PM to about 9PM.

I attribute that to kids after dinner using the local AiS cell tower too much.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eiszele2005 said:

I have a Tp link 4G router up country, signals here are ok at best but the router has never missed a beat and 4G is our only option for service. I stream all day long on an unlimited Dtac 30Mbs for 12 month card for about 1600 Baht a year(search Lazada) you do need a new one each year as can not just top up online and continue the service but easy enough. 

In short it works fine for normal user. 

What speeds to you get? I understand that it depends on the location. But would be interesting to know.

I just saw True Move cards with 1000 Mbps. They are limited with 60 GB. Does anyone have any experience with this? One reviewer gave 5 stars and at the same time he put a speed test there with the results shown in the picture. The upload speed is not bad. But the download speed would be a nightmare for me. An other reviewer with 5 stars got at least a download speed of 10 Mbps. And 60 GB? I would need 2 SIM cards at least. 

SmartSelect_20220928-074045_Chrome Beta.jpg

OP, not understanding why you want to switch to cellular internet. Your existing VDSL will always be cheaper, faster and more stable than any cellular options.

Maybe for portability, but that goes out the window if you are carting around a big multi antenna router.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, not understanding why you want to switch to cellular internet. Your existing VDSL will always be cheaper, faster and more stable than any cellular options.

Maybe for portability, but that goes out the window if you are carting around a big multi antenna router.

This with cheaper is not correct. For the 3BB VDSL I pay about 7600 Baht a year. If you take an 1000 Mbps True Move SIM with 70 GB a month you pay only about 1200 Baht a year. Perhaps I need 2 because 70 GB might not be enough. But then still only about 2400 a year. In addition I can move around and use it in my tablet or phone directly when needed. 

I personally think that companies like 3BB with cable Internet will not have a bright future.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

1,000 Mbps ??? Is that a typo ?

Any of the yearly sims usually have ridiculously low speeds, usually no more than 10-20 Mbps.

Its a personal choice but the way I see it, you are going from unlimited data to data caps, and a heathy vdsl speed (I imagine 50Mbps) to lower speeds. If you dont use much data and dont mind slower speeds, then I suppose its cheaper. But a couple of hi def movies and there goes your monthly limit in a week. I just checked the data usage for just my laptop (properties of network adaptor), last month, 380 GB (also have 3 phones, 2 TVs and a tablet). I suggest you maybe do similar before doing any sort of data cap.

Under 20Mps, you wont be able to stream 4k content, or have multiple devices doing downloads etc. 

1000 Mps is not a typo. In the picture you see a 705 / 86 speed with an iPhone 12 Pro Max connected obviously with 5G. Perhaps it is faked. But 30 Mbps would be enough for me. Most movies I download (legally) and play from an USB stick anyway. Netflix or something similar I don't use. 

But anyhow - I will have to make my way through the SIM card jungle and make speed tests at my location. First without a router. If this works then the next step would be the SIM card router.

I wouldn't cancel my existing 3BB contract immediately. You can pause it for 3 months two times a year. After 3 months I would cancel it if the SIM card version works problem free. 

16643366420470.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I'm doing the same with Samsung A23 using 6Mbps unlimited AIS. Works fine for most of the time except real slowdown from 6PM to about 9PM.

I attribute that to kids after dinner using the local AiS cell tower too much.

probably heavy video streaming time for all people at home during those hours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a D-Link DWR-921 if you're interested. Used it with True for about a month. Very happy with the performance. TOT ran Fibre Optic soon after so had to buy a new one. Excellent condition, fully functional with manual and p/s. 

You can have it if you have a method to get it. PM if interested. 

It's just sitting in a cupboard here. 

IMG_20220928_124444.jpg

IMG_20220928_124457.jpg

IMG_20220928_124521.jpg

IMG_20220928_124554.jpg

• Like 1