Your experience with SIM card routers

Mickeymaus

On 9/27/2022 at 10:10 AM, Bruno123 said:

You think? So that download taking place has to stop because you are going out?

I may be different but I don't need the smart phone stuck in my hand EVERY time I go for a stroll.

Anyone else using the Internet has to use their phone as a hotspot or wait until you get back?

Nope. Nobody else free-riding for free on my internet, thanks for the concern though.

That's also going to be great fun for the battery of the device.

That's why I have  spare charger.

It's a terrible idea. Only useful if you have nothing else.

If you say so.

YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I may be different but I don't need the smart phone stuck in my hand EVERY time I go for a stroll.

Nope. Nobody else free-riding for free on my internet, thanks for the concern though.

That's why I have  spare charger.

If you say so.

YMMV.

Why are you reply to a replay meant for another poster?

None of your friends around this evening?

I seem to recall that you also bought a mobile router, so all in all, your post seems just nonsense.

What has a spare charger to do with it? Just because you are prepared to foolishly leave your phone on charge whilst using it as a hotspot in place of a dedicated mains powered router, doesn't mean that others may choose to deplete their expensive and perhaps not easy to replace battery. Not to mention the heat adding to the general malaise.

Using a phone as a Hotspot is meant to be a temporary solution. The OP asked about SIM routers, but silly Trolls are determined to bang on on about their mobile phones.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

About 40/20 for download with 3BB server. GSL Networks server in Tokyo showed the same results. Both with Speedtest. A different server in Japan showed only about half of this speed. 

Don't worry - I will have to test this SIM more. There might be some bad surprises. I also don't know if the 70 GB package will behave the same way. Could also check AIS. But I would need a cheap SIM first and then a cheap option to test 24 hours. DTAC was very bad at my location.

What don't you understand about not using SpeedTest?  You are just foolishly wasting time. Forget about any 70 GB SIM and buy a capped pack as advised. You are losing all sense of proportion and focus. 

38 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Why are you reply to a replay meant for another poster?

None of your friends around this evening?

I seem to recall that you also bought a mobile router, so all in all, your post seems just nonsense.

What has a spare charger to do with it? Just because you are prepared to foolishly leave your phone on charge whilst using it as a hotspot in place of a dedicated mains powered router, doesn't mean that others may choose to deplete their expensive and perhaps not easy to replace battery. Not to mention the heat adding to the general malaise.

Using a phone as a Hotspot is meant to be a temporary solution. The OP asked about SIM routers, but silly Trolls are determined to bang on on about their mobile phones.

Briefly, because there's nothing in forum rules to say I cannot.

And staying off topic, where are your friends at this time of the morning?

Thanks for remembering my SIM router contribution from simply ages ago. Since you appear to have a memory like a steel trap, you may recall it was procured for a multi-user work site in Myanmar but that's as irrelevant to the OP's requirements as the smartphone hot spot option.

Talk about banging on...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Briefly, because there's nothing in forum rules to say I cannot.

And staying off topic, where are your friends at this time of the morning?

Thanks for remembering my SIM router contribution from simply ages ago. Since you appear to have a memory like a steel trap, you may recall it was procured for a multi-user work site in Myanmar but that's as irrelevant to the OP's requirements as the smartphone hot spot option.

Talk about banging on...

Sorry, this thread is about SIM card routers. If you want to chat off-topic, try a PM. Otherwise...

On 9/27/2022 at 4:49 PM, eiszele2005 said:

I have a Tp link 4G router up country, signals here are ok at best but the router has never missed a beat and 4G is our only option for service. I stream all day long on an unlimited Dtac 30Mbs for 12 month card for about 1600 Baht a year(search Lazada) you do need a new one each year as can not just top up online and continue the service but easy enough. 

In short it works fine for normal user. 

Exactly what I use, (except AIS), 4 Mbps and 30 gb/ month. Last year was 1100 baht, but now about 1600 baht per year. Went to AIS to recharge last week, and from now on can recharge online. And I watch Netflix, YouTube etc. + computer, phone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Exactly what I use, (except AIS), 4 Mbps and 30 gb/ month. Last year was 1100 baht, but now about 1600 baht per year. Went to AIS to recharge last week, and from now on can recharge online. And I watch Netflix, YouTube etc. + computer, phone.

Poor value. You can obtain Unlimited 4 Mbps with free any network calls for 150 baht per month or even Unlimited 8 Mbps with free within network calls for the same amount. Alternatively the AIS Marathon SIM offers 15 Mbps with a 100 GB per month limit and 60 minutes of any network calls for around 1500 baht for 12 months of usage.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-15-mbps-100gb-ais-24-60-12-i871660071-s1759688858.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, digbeth said:

NT (the new TOT/CAT) has a pretty good deal on data only sim at the moment, 999 a year for unlimited data

the catch is that their network is only on 2300mhz (LTD Band40) so make sure your router support that if you want to try this deal 

...and that you don't live above the 5th floor if you intend to use the service.

• Like 1

Here my results after 24 hours with True 300 Mbps SIM on Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus with 4G LTE (it is a pretty modern tablet). 

To my surprise True showed much less data volume than my device. The allowance was 1,5 GB and according to my system I had used more than 4 GB already. Only when the 24 hours were over it took money from my True balance without any warning. 

What is clear after all my tests is that it depends very much on your location. The best speed I could get was about 80/39 standing at the same level with the outside antennas about 40 meters away. Perhaps higher speeds would be possible with other test servers.

In my room the situation without direct view of the antennas and about 60 meters away it was different. Today in the morning I got about 50/23 with 4G. In this case the server was 3BB Chonburi. With 3BB VDSL and at the same 3BB server (standing in front of the WiFi router) I got 42/22. These speeds are higher if I use a PC with 3BB VDSL. There I get about 60 download speed.

Yesterday in the evening I got about 20/10 with True in my room. About half of the speed that I got at daytime. Uploads went down sometimes to 5 Mbps. 

YouTube - with very high 2160p HDR it started buffering with 4G at daytime. The 3BB VDSL didn't have this problem. Lower resolutions that you will use more often showed no problems. 

Now of course the question is if a SIM router behaves like my very modern tablet...

The other question is if for instance if a SIM limited to 30 Mbps would show the same 20/10 speed in my room in the evening. The unlimited speed did. 

To sum it up. More testing is required. Will have to check AIS and other providers too. But I am optimistic in respect of a SIM card router - until now... In any case - you will have to test YOUR location and YOUR devices. I think there is no other option. 

16645089078230.jpg

54 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Here my results after 24 hours with True 300 Mbps SIM on Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus with 4G LTE (it is a pretty modern tablet). 

To my surprise True showed much less data volume than my device. The allowance was 1,5 GB and according to my system I had used more than 4 GB already. Only when the 24 hours were over it took money from my True balance without any warning. 

What is clear after all my tests is that it depends very much on your location. The best speed I could get was about 80/39 standing at the same level with the outside antennas about 40 meters away. Perhaps higher speeds would be possible with other test servers.

In my room the situation without direct view of the antennas and about 60 meters away it was different. Today in the morning I got about 50/23 with 4G. In this case the server was 3BB Chonburi. With 3BB VDSL and at the same 3BB server (standing in front of the WiFi router) I got 42/22. These speeds are higher if I use a PC with 3BB VDSL. There I get about 60 download speed.

Yesterday in the evening I got about 20/10 with True in my room. About half of the speed that I got at daytime. Uploads went down sometimes to 5 Mbps. 

YouTube - with very high 2160p HDR it started buffering with 4G at daytime. The 3BB VDSL didn't have this problem. Lower resolutions that you will use more often showed no problems. 

Now of course the question is if a SIM router behaves like my very modern tablet...

The other question is if for instance if a SIM limited to 30 Mbps would show the same 20/10 speed in my room in the evening. The unlimited speed did. 

To sum it up. More testing is required. Will have to check AIS and other providers too. But I am optimistic in respect of a SIM card router - until now... In any case - you will have to test YOUR location and YOUR devices. I think there is no other option. 

16645089078230.jpg

If you tested with speedtest then it's likely your speeds are garbage

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you tested with speedtest then it's likely your speeds are garbage

I have tested with Speedtest (with many different servers), nPerf, adslthailand and of course with your testmy.net. The last one was very unreliable. There were big fluctuations from test to test and between used browsers. Of course I also did a real usage test with browsing and with watching videos. It is not in my interest to get good speeds now and a useless Internet afterwards. 

You wrote that you use AIS. I never had anything to do with AIS. What are the speeds that you get and with which package? I understand that I will have to test at my location. But just to get an idea. And which hardware are you using? 

I guess few people will care about the following: It seems it is not possible to put many (or all?) SIM card routers in bridge mode.

Normal users don't need that. I wanted to try something in bridge mode and discovered it doesn't exist on my SIM card router or other routers in the shop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I have tested with Speedtest (with many different servers), nPerf, adslthailand and of course with your testmy.net. The last one was very unreliable. There were big fluctuations from test to test and between used browsers. Of course I also did a real usage test with browsing and with watching videos. It is not in my interest to get good speeds now and a useless Internet afterwards. 

You wrote that you use AIS. I never had anything to do with AIS. What are the speeds that you get and with which package? I understand that I will have to test at my location. But just to get an idea. And which hardware are you using? 

Test My will give you the most accurate speed test. In other words, what you will actually experience. Some of the others are especially 'optimised'. That is why people using Speedtest can report 70+ Mbps on a known capped speed SIM of 10 Mbps. 

Something in your brain wants to believe the SpeedTest results, so you keep publishing them, whilst refusing to publish any Test My results? Why is that?

Publish the Test My results and show some respect for the people taking their time to help you.

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

16645089078230.jpg

Sorry, but you are moving into Troll territory. You have been told repeatedly to not trust SpeedTest results and have been told repeatedly that your choice of router will not behave in the same way as your Tablet.

Yet you seem to think that you know better than everyone advising you.

Publish the Test My results. No one is interested in seeing 'optimised' Speedtest results. ven if you don't like or trust what you see, publish them anyway.

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Test My will give you the most accurate speed test. In other words, what you will actually experience. Some of the others are especially 'optimised'. That is why people using Speedtest can report 70+ Mbps on a known capped speed SIM of 10 Mbps. 

Something in your brain wants to believe the SpeedTest results, so you keep publishing them, whilst refusing to publish any Test My results? Why is that?

Publish the Test My results and show some respect for the people taking their time to help you.

I posted testmy.net results. Here again 3 tests pretty much at the same time. The results were always very different. After some test I did not use it anymore because of this. 

SmartSelect_20220929-131241_Opera.jpg

SmartSelect_20220929-131152_Opera.jpg

SmartSelect_20220929-130942_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I posted testmy.net results. Here again 3 tests pretty much at the same time. The results were always very different. After some test I did not use it anymore because of this. 

SmartSelect_20220929-131241_Opera.jpg

SmartSelect_20220929-131152_Opera.jpg

SmartSelect_20220929-130942_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Combined test. Download and Upload.

Either way, those are your real speeds, forget about Speedtest nonsense.

They are different because that is the nature of a mobile connection. It's not fixed. It will fluctuate.

If you wish, apply a fixed speed pack and test again. Speedtest will likely continue to supply 'pie in the sky figures', whilst Test My will remain accurate. 

So far, you are looking good for a 30 Mbps Truemove H SIM at 235 per month. You can do a month to see how you get on with it. No need to make a big investment.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I'm in Pratumnak and have AIS 10mbps unlimited, always consistent at 10 or just under 9.something, i don't know what the max speed is where i live, although DTAC is up to 40mbps

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Combined test. Download and Upload.

Either way, those are your real speeds, forget about Speedtest nonsense.

They are different because that is the nature of a mobile connection. It's not fixed. It will fluctuate.

If you wish, apply a fixed speed pack and test again. Speedtest will likely continue to supply 'pie in the sky figures', whilst Test My will remain accurate. 

So far, you are looking good for a 30 Mbps Truemove H SIM at 235 per month. You can do a month to see how you get on with it. No need to make a big investment.

Somehow I had the feeling that the speed of my True 300 Mbps got limited to lower speeds at certain times. Hope I will not have this experience with the 30 Mbps. But I indent to test the True and the AIS 30 Mbps packages. DTAC had big problems at my location. 30 Mbps speed showed only 5/5 (with Speedtest ????).

But anyhow. The most important test is the "real world" test. This for more days including weekends. And I will not cancel 3BB immediately. 

9 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Somehow I had the feeling that the speed of my True 300 Mbps got limited to lower speeds at certain times. Hope I will not have this experience with the 30 Mbps. But I indent to test the True and the AIS 30 Mbps packages. DTAC had big problems at my location. 30 Mbps speed showed only 5/5 (with Speedtest ????).

But anyhow. The most important test is the "real world" test. This for more days including weekends. And I will not cancel 3BB immediately. 

300 Mbps is just theoretical. As you can see, you are lucky to get 30 Mbps in real terms. Plus with your choice of router, you might not achieve even that.

As of now, your choice is a cheap 12 month SIM with unlimited 15 Mbps or a monthly SIM with unlimited 20 Mbps or 30 Mbps. Do not bother to wasting time and energy contemplating two 'full speed' SIMs with limited volume(60 or 70 GB). It's really a not a good idea ☺️ 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Please have a look on the photo attached and you tell me, running on Win 7.

Win ????

150.0 Mbps.jpg

This is the connection speed to the router. Shows only the internal connection speed. Real transfer speed is normally much lower (this number is only for the internal WiFi).

For the SIM speed you have to use a speed test in the browser. Google "speedtest" and you will find many. Please let me know your results. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Using the built-in Edge Internet Speed Test

Start
Speed test completed
Ping
569 ms
Download
20.18 Mbps
Upload
3.78 Mbps

This is not bad for your 15 Mbps SIM. You can move around the router. Perhaps you get even better speeds at some locations. Mine were best next to a window. But you have more than the 15 Mbps already. 

Even if some might hate me now ???????????? could you please try

https://www.speedtest.net/

It is still early in the morning and I hope my English is not too bad... 

Pretty soon I should get my SIM router. Tests will follow. Until then perhaps a word to speedtests (the rest of the posting is about speedtests. If you are not interested don't read further). 

If you use a speedtest you have to understand how the Internet works. You have endless servers/routers and you upload and download data - if you watch a movie or read news or whatever. It is only up- and downloading data from different servers. 

Let's take my 3BB VDSL here in Pattaya as an example. I start this Ookla speedtest app and it will look for a fast server. For me in Pattaya this is mostly but not always the 3BB server in Chonburi. This should give me the speed under best conditions.

Normally you don't have the best conditions. If you check for instance with a server in USA or Europe you normally get much lower speeds because at these connections there are more obstacles because they are further away. It is not a pretty direct connection like to the 3BB server in Chonburi. If you are more interested in this then google "traceroute". And then you have the "ping". The difference between ping and traceroute is that while ping simply tells you if a server is reachable and the time it takes to transmit and receive data, traceroute details the route info, router by router (very interesting to see), as well as the time it took for each hop. In respect of traceroute - the results will be very technical but there is also software that displays the route on maps.

To make the matter worse when you download something (any Internet content) anywhere you will get the download speed this server gives you. And this has nothing to do with speedtest results anymore. Now I could talk about single and multiple connections to this server but this might get too technical. But it affects the speed too. In many browsers (especially PC versions) you can change this setting.

In respect of the Ookla speedtest app. I have the latest version installed. Older versions might have a different user interface. 

Many might not realise that you can select servers yourself. If you pull this on the first picture with the red 1 up you can change the test server (picture 2). You will find many servers and their distance in km. In the upper area you can search servers. Enter a country or a city like London and you will get the servers there. If you enter something sometimes you will have to remove an invisible space after the entry. For instance you enter London and your keyboard will it enter like this "London " and not like this "London". In the first case it will not display anything.

If you want to change the server after a test click on the x in the top left corner and you will get back to the picture where you can select the server. 

Screenshot_20221002-070201_Speedtest.jpg

SmartSelect_20221002-070711_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-071531_Speedtest.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, userabcd said:

Thats what they say. I am on the 12th floor and the signal on the router is full strength.

Which router are you using and what speeds are you getting? It seems difficult to find one that supports band 40 with 3CA without spending a fortune.

I stopped using Ookla Speedtest as results were unreliable and often way over speeds allowed, most people ignore that because they want faster speeds, ignorance is bliss and all that.  If you compared with testmy.net using a fixed speed sim you'll see the difference

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I stopped using Ookla Speedtest as results were unreliable and often way over speeds allowed, most people ignore that because they want faster speeds, ignorance is bliss and all that.  If you compared with testmy.net using a fixed speed sim you'll see the difference

Yes, it's strange isn't it? Sadly, because of this, the thread is becoming a bit of a joke.

I cannot even look at some of the crazy posts on here anymore.

It's like they want to believe that the high speeds are true and that the ones that show the actual speed available to them are not to be believed. 

Have any of them actually tried to download a file to see if they get anything close to the Speedtest figures? I think it's just best to leave them to it.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, Mickeymaus said:

This is not bad for your 15 Mbps SIM. You can move around the router. Perhaps you get even better speeds at some locations. Mine were best next to a window. But you have more than the 15 Mbps already. 

Even if some might hate me now ???????????? could you please try

https://www.speedtest.net/

Result

DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps
Ping ms  30  207  41

OK now folks
  • Thumbs Up 1