Bus 166 Extra [Victory Monument to Chaeng Wathana Immigration] - Is that accurate ?

Baron Samedi

I've been looking around for information to go from Bangkok city center to the nearest immigration center (for tourist visa extensions).

I've found that the aircon bus 166 Extra can take you there for 22THB.

Unless of course it can't...

Can you please confirm the above information is accurate ?

Thanks for your help ????

Edited by Baron Samedi

A friend advises that he recently used # 166 to go from Immigration to the Victory Monument.  He says to board it at the south door of Building B, not at the east door where you enter the building.  He has no information on frequency of service.

When I recently went there, I used bus # 52.  I missed one by seconds, and waited 40 minutes for the next one.

• Thanks 1

I've taken it. Goes to Victory Monument. 

I took it from the East Exit. I don't recall seeing buses at the South Exit. 

The buses are usually quite crowded and infrequent. I certainly wouldn't take in rush hour (6am to 10am, 4pm to 9pm)... you could be standing for 2 hours or more on it.

I now prefer a taxi to the new BTS station (around 50 baht taxi and then the BTS fare into the centre) and take that. More pricey but the reduced hassle is fantastic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bus 166 Extra has a sign on the front windows in English indicating that is going to immigration (Government complex) and stop at the beginning of victory monument bus stop at the beginning of Phayathai road side, first lane, meanwhile the other 166 bus will stop at the end of the third lane of the same bus stop. There are two buses The air condition blue bus cost 22 Baht and the red one cost 10 Baht . If you take the buss that will leave exactly at 08.00 AM, make sure to be there few minutes before and you will get a sit.

The same bus will leave Immigration office from the same spot where you dropped, back to victory monument but you may have to wait a little bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bjhabal said:

Bus 166 Extra has a sign on the front windows in English indicating that is going to immigration (Government complex) and stop at the beginning of victory monument bus stop at the beginning of Phayathai road side, first lane, meanwhile the other 166 bus will stop at the end of the third lane of the same bus stop. There are two buses The air condition blue bus cost 22 Baht and the red one cost 10 Baht . If you take the buss that will leave exactly at 08.00 AM, make sure to be there few minutes before and you will get a sit.

The same bus will leave Immigration office from the same spot where you dropped, back to victory monument but you may have to wait a little bit.

Can you clarify this re the four quadrants of the Victory Monument bus stops; the NE quadrant, the SE quadrant, the SW quadrant and the NW quadrant.  Normally buses stop at the last quadrant before they leave the Victory Monument circle.

I've taken the route 166 express bus multiple times from BKK CW Immigration to its end point at Victory Monument. It's an easy, pleasant and inexpensive trip.

The express buses returning to VM typically are air conditioned, and usually not busy/crowded, especially midday if you're returning from an early morning visit to Immigration.

One downside, as best as I can tell, is the headway times tend to be a bit long, like 30 minutes or more... Meaning potentially in the time you're waiting, you already could have taken a taxi back to either the Mochit or Wat Pra Sri Mahathat BTS Green Line stations.

On the flip side, I've never taken the 166 FROM Victory Monument to Immigration, as it's a bit of a long hike from the Victory Monument BTS station to where the 166 bus stops at VM, and the location of its stop can be a bit confusing with all the different bus lanes/stations going on there.

And, as best as I recall, from VM, you also have to sure to take the correct flavor of 166 bus, the one that heads for and stops at Immigration, as opposed to the one that doesn't and heads off to another area... Muang Thong Thani, I think.

The purple line below shows the outbound route for the 166 line, and how it diverges at the north end of its route.

Screenshot_1.jpg.de8894ccf267782342eeb6b13314e70c.jpg

https://www.transitbangkok.com/lines/bangkok-bus-line/166

22 hours ago, allane said:

Can you clarify this re the four quadrants of the Victory Monument bus stops; the NE quadrant, the SE quadrant, the SW quadrant and the NW quadrant.  Normally buses stop at the last quadrant before they leave the Victory Monument circle.

It is the lane of buses 29 and 510 heading to Chatuchak /Rangsit in the north via Phahonyothin/Payathai road. and you can ask someone in the conductor kiosk.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 8:56 AM, allane said:

166 departs from the NW quadrant from the east side 'platform'. It heads straight onto the expressway entrance just north of VM. The bus exits at Chaeng Wattana rd, runs west to Pak Kret, does a U-turn and then returns east along Chaneng Wattana before turning left into CW-Pak Kret soi 33 to enter into MTT.  I've used it loads of times over the years to go to Koh Kret.  Inbound and outbound are mostly exactly the same route. It can be confusing on CW rd if you don't read thai as both VM & MTT bound services run along here. Only the dark blue aircon buses run to MTT.

Download the VIa Bus app if you haven't done so as it shows routes for every BMTA bus. I had no idea of the route to Govt Complex, but I have seen the 166 bus outside. According to the VIA Bus app it exits the expressway straight east onto CW rd and then turns into the Govt Complex rd.

Obviously, just ask the conductor at VM if unsure if it is a MMT or a Govt Complex bus.