Looking for small SUV as "Flood Car". Ford Escape or Suzuki Vitara.

pj123

I am considering purchasing a second car for taking the dogs out and mainly as a flood car. We are looking at 09-12 Ford Escapes or 05-12 Suzuki Vitaras. Both automatics. Any experience people may care to share about both cars? Or offer another suggestion. Maybe a CR-V? Budget is under 300k and we will spend some money on making the car more flood resistant (eg breathers).  I would prefer to sell our current car (X1) and purchase a used Everest but my wife finds this size of vehicle too large for her to handle comfortably.  Pick-ups not an option. 

We had several mid 2000's Ford Escapes as company cars in the past because they were great value compared to CR-V etc. at the time.  Our Escapes were XLT models with 2.3L 4 cylinder 4WD autos.  They lasted pretty well up to 250 - 300,000km with no major engine or trans issues.  I remember only a few minor electrical issues with driving lights, tailgate lock mechanism and one MAF fault.    

They handled OK but were a bit underpowered.  4WD worked fine and could be locked in, but no low range.  No sure how good they would be in flood water.  Probably the worst thing about them was the 4 speed auto and not particularly powerful or efficient engine resulted in unimpressive fuel economy, particularly when driven hard.  Don't know if Ford made any improvements for the later models. 

• Like 2

MY old MU7 Handled the great flood with only minor leaking when I travelled down the 9 three times, I was begining to feel I was at sea for 50% of the journeys.  Oh how I miss that SUV. never let me down, did replace all brakes pads when things dried up,  Mec's told me just continue normal driving to clear any watter in the diff's etc. It never had any problems including the feeling of lifting at the start  junction with the route 1, and watching all the others climbing out their windows did get me a bit nervous. Oh! fun days!

7 hours ago, phetpeter said:

MY old MU7 Handled the great flood with only minor leaking when I travelled down the 9 three times, I was begining to feel I was at sea for 50% of the journeys.  Oh how I miss that SUV. never let me down, did replace all brakes pads when things dried up,  Mec's told me just continue normal driving to clear any watter in the diff's etc. It never had any problems including the feeling of lifting at the start  junction with the route 1, and watching all the others climbing out their windows did get me a bit nervous. Oh! fun days!

I did look at the MU7. You can pick up a +200,000 km 2005-06 for under 300,000. But too big for my wife. But we may need to compromise on size.