exempt to Non-O retirement in Pattaya

What is required to convert from an exempt, and presume TR, to a Non-O based on retirement?

I appreciate you can use an agent, but would like to know what is required without using an agent.

If anyone has manged to acheive this recently at the Jomtien office then would love to know how.

A bank account for starters - In your own name - You need to have 800,000 baht in there on the day you apply for your Non O.

Visa Exempt - Fill in a TM87, along with all the usual copies of passport & stamps ect ect.

Tourist Visa - Everytung is the same but you need to fill in a TM86 instead.

• Like 1

OP, you will also need letter from bank verifying your ownership and balance of 800k+ on day of application.

Immigration would also require a TM30 or lease.

Someone that deals with Jomtien will confirm what they require.

Also be aware that you require 15 days+ remaining on your permission of stay when you apply. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

OP, I think Jomtien still has a hand out that lists the documents etc. As others have said, start by getting a bank account and the funds in place, Go to a copy shop and get multiple copies of all your documents, PP photos etc (if you think they may ask for it, have it copied and ready). Then present at immigration, they will soon tell you whats missing. It may take a couple of visits, one to get a list, another to find out what you are missing etc.

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

@ubonjoe could you please advise if a copy of Google maps like below is acceptable to immigration (I'm Jomtien) or do we have to do a hand drawn map?

Screenshot_20221001-104520_Maps.jpg

A map isn't usually required for a retire extension . Its a requirement for a marriage extension as they visit you, and it must be hand drawn.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A map isn't usually required for a retire extension . Its a requirement for a marriage extension as they visit you, and it must be hand drawn.

Ok, I asked as It was mentioned as a requirement in the list Ubonjoe posted

Screenshot_20221001-105427_Drive.jpg

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The info posted is for a non-o visa application not a extension of stay.

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Not sure if Pattaya will require one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Screenshot_20221001-105427_Drive.jpg

Thats the trouble with lists, there is often the generic list and a local office variation. Its worth going to the office and asking directly, they often have a local list, or are happy to advise what they want. Im pretty sure, at the moment, Jomtien doesn't want a map for NON-0 or retire extension.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

@ubonjoe could you please advise if a copy of Google maps like below is acceptable to immigration (I'm Jomtien) or do we have to do a hand drawn map?

Screenshot_20221001-104520_Maps.jpg

Not sure Jomtien requires a map and has never requested one from me. Could be because I'm only a 5 minute walk away. 

13 hours ago, RedArmy said:

A bank account for starters - In your own name - You need to have 800,000 baht in there on the day you apply for your Non O.

Visa Exempt - Fill in a TM87, along with all the usual copies of passport & stamps ect ect.

Tourist Visa - Everytung is the same but you need to fill in a TM86 instead.

So how do you get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption , I tried 2 banks in Koh Chang both denied me opening an account stating I need the non-o visa and an address in Thailand , even though I previously had Thai bank accounts with Bangkok bank and Krung Thai , I guess in Koh Chang they are not hungry for business like in Pattaya ?

41 minutes ago, darrenr said:

So how do you get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption , I tried 2 banks in Koh Chang both denied me opening an account stating I need the non-o visa and an address in Thailand , even though I previously had Thai bank accounts with Bangkok bank and Krung Thai , I guess in Koh Chang they are not hungry for business like in Pattaya ?

I have a Krungsi account already in Pattaya and I asked to open a higher interest account to put the 800k in. They refused as I was on visa exempt. Said I needed long term visa to open so chicken and egg springs to mind ???? 

1 hour ago, darrenr said:

So how do you get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption

Have to shop around & persevere - A residence certificate from Immigration could swing things in certain provinces - Some banks will open up an account for you if you agree to purchase their 1 year accident insurance - 5900 baht - 

1 hour ago, darrenr said:

So how do you get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption ,

You have 3 options. 

Use and agent to assist opening account.

Obtain residence certificate from immigration (not possible in Bangkok)

Obtain equivalent from your embassy (if they supply letter).

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, I think Jomtien still has a hand out that lists the documents etc. As others have said, start by getting a bank account and the funds in place, Go to a copy shop and get multiple copies of all your documents, PP photos etc (if you think they may ask for it, have it copied and ready). Then present at immigration, they will soon tell you whats missing. It may take a couple of visits, one to get a list, another to find out what you are missing etc.

All that lot looks like a load of unnecessary hassle. TiT.

19 hours ago, Regyai said:

Rather an involved and drawn out saga with a virtual cast of ill defined hoops which may or may not be needed to jump through.

All explaining precisely why an agent's intervention is well worth the fee.

Yes, but just check the fee's of any agent before you use them. They can differ by thousands of Baht, I know through experience. But the majority of agents are fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 12:59 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, you will also need letter from bank verifying your ownership and balance of 800k+ on day of application.

Immigration would also require a TM30 or lease.

Someone that deals with Jomtien will confirm what they require.

Also be aware that you require 15 days+ remaining on your permission of stay when you apply. 

Thank you, as you are the first person to mention the letter from the bank, as I've heard about it, but wasn't sure when it was required.

How long does it take for the bangkok Bank to produce the letter verifying the 800k funds?

Can I extend my visa exempt for 30 days and then convert to a 90 day Non-O visa based upon retirement?

Edited by L0St
confused visa and extension

7 hours ago, L0St said:

How long does it take for the bangkok Bank to produce the letter verifying the 800k funds?

Can I extend my visa exempt for 30 days and then convert to a 90 day Non-O visa based upon retirement?

The letter is done while you wait. The letter only confirms your balance on the day you request the letter that is shown in their account record.

7 hours ago, L0St said:

Yes you can your visa exempt by 30 days . 1900baht.

The bank letter you also asked about is issued on the spot.

Best to do that on day of application for the non O . 

39 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

dont you than need to prove to get the 1 year extension  the 800,000 came from outside thailand ( where as to get the visa you dont need show this) and has been there for 2 months?

Not a requirement to show money came from abroad for extensions.

Is a requirement for non O retirement  obtained in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not a requirement to show money came from abroad for extensions.

Is a requirement for non O retirement  obtained in Thailand. 

are u 100% positive if its ur first extension?
the first 800,000 for the visa can be from anywhere, but i have been led to believe for the extension it must come from outside

25 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

are u 100% positive if its ur first extension?
the first 800,000 for the visa can be from anywhere, but i have been led to believe for the extension it must come from outside

There is no requirement to ever prove the 800k baht came from abroad to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

From clause 2.22 of the immigration order for extensions of stay.

image.png.7f6074faa61361288fedd97cbab5c1f3.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to ever prove the 800k baht came from abroad to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

From clause 2.22 of the immigration order for extensions of stay.

image.png.7f6074faa61361288fedd97cbab5c1f3.png

Fantastic!!!

27 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

The problem as stated before seems to be opening a bank account before you have the visa especially if you arrive on a voa.

If you are from a country that qualifies for a 15 day (temporarily 30 days now) visa on arrival you would not be able to apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

I assume you are actually getting a visa exempt entry not a voa.