Yamaha Aerox vs. ? [2022]

aldriglikvid

Hi, 

If I would observe my 2 years of bike history +95% of rides are inner city, usually lasting 10min with the occasional 20min ride. My 2019 Yamaha Aerox have served me well, but honestly, it's the only bike besides Honda Click i've ever tried. 

I'm about to buy a new bike. For my purpose, what are the clear models that come in mind? Agreed, there are some fantastic +300cc bikes; I simply don't need that power in my current life/living situation. 

You who have tried both the PCX and Aerox, how would you describe your experience? 

bless! 

Nmax like above comment have over taken the PCX for comfort and style. My only reservation about some nmax new models, they appear a bit big. Not ideal for whizzing thru traffic. Mine is 2019 a smaller profile and very good for city a 2 b.

Edited by rankric

I prefer the riding position of the aerox; feels more upright and in control like my sport bike I had in the states. All my friends ride pcx/nmax. They are slightly more work to park also. 

Have to buy a hook for transporting bags and meals, as my underseat is always occupied by a 2nd helmet, but that's true of all of those I've listed. 

Not a fan of the Click stepthrough design, works great for hauling stuff, but unstable at speed. 

Good luck whichever you choose. 

8 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

Honda produces better quality and more reliable engines than Yamaha.

I like Honda for their big bike service line in Thailand, and also enjoyed the pcx for 15 000km, and never liked the smaller Yamahas out of different reasons, but to claim Honda is better quality than Yamaha is bold. You pay more for Honda usually depending on which model, so it should be better quality, right? 

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 hours ago, frantick said:

Not a fan of the Click stepthrough design, works great for hauling stuff, but unstable at speed. 

Not true at all, I regulalrly go 80kph and very stable, 100 was ok too

I think stability is what we ‘feel’ and if we’re used to riding a ‘real motorcycle’ scooters defiantly feel less stable when going faster...  That said, scooters are hardly ‘unstable’ at 100kmh, but they do feel different to conventional motorcycle - I think the quality of suspension, the size of wheels and the fork rake obviously all have a lot to do with this. 

As far as the Ops question: At the end of the day its just a scooter... none of them ‘snap knicker elastic’ or are great ‘riders bikes’ they are scooters...  So, go for one you like that fits you etc... 

IMO - ABS is a must, decent storage also a must...  I like keyless too, but thats not a major point.

Of the Bunch I like the Honda ADV 150cc (and would much prefer the ADV 350 but the Op has already pointed out he doesn’t want anything that size). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think stability is what we ‘feel’ and if we’re used to riding a ‘real motorcycle’ scooters defiantly feel less stable when going faster...  That said, scooters are hardly ‘unstable’ at 100kmh, but they do feel different to conventional motorcycle - I think the quality of suspension, the size of wheels and the fork rake obviously all have a lot to do with this. 

As far as the Ops question: At the end of the day its just a scooter... none of them ‘snap knicker elastic’ or are great ‘riders bikes’ they are scooters...  So, go for one you like that fits you etc... 

IMO - ABS is a must, decent storage also a must...  I like keyless too, but thats not a major point.

Of the Bunch I like the Honda ADV 150cc (and would much prefer the ADV 350 but the Op has already pointed out he doesn’t want anything that size). 

Bigger bikes feel different for sure, probably because they are much heavier, but i found my BMW F800GS no more stable than my Honda Click 125i, i was just doing 80kph in very heavy rain on the Click and it was brilliant,even going through deep water and a hidden pot hole

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great feedback all, thanks. 

Agreed, the Nmax seems to have "overtaken" Pcx in my sphere of friends/general observation as well. A handful years ago I only saw pcx's....

The Nmax is tempting, but I'm worried about the increased size....it just seems bulkier to manage? 

On another note, the Yamaha/Honda official stores - are one able to "try" out bikes?

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If a BMW does not feel different than a Click, it is either damaged, nobby tires out of balance and wrong air pressure, or your ability to know the difference between an adventure bike set up for mixed roads and a light bike with 14” rims. But anyway, as long you believe it, heck yeah, good for you

Different because of weight, both stable, poor riders think a scooter is unstable

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Different because of weight, both stable, poor riders think a scooter is unstable

It comes with smaller wheels, wheelbase and ground clearance as weel suspension, suspension settings, balance point and more. 

It all comes down to purpose of use and of course experience. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

I like Honda for their big bike service line in Thailand, and also enjoyed the pcx for 15 000km, and never liked the smaller Yamahas out of different reasons, but to claim Honda is better quality than Yamaha is bold. You pay more for Honda usually depending on which model, so it should be better quality, right? 

A simple visual of the differences in quality are the turn / lighting switches used on both brands of motorcycles. Compare how much better quality those used on Honda are then Yamaha and then from those exterior parts you a delve deeper into the engine mechanics. 

On 10/4/2022 at 12:16 AM, NickyLouie said:

A simple visual of the differences in quality are the turn / lighting switches used on both brands of motorcycles. Compare how much better quality those used on Honda are then Yamaha and then from those exterior parts you a delve deeper into the engine mechanics. 

I have had 3 Clicks and 2 Aerox, I also drive sometimes my wife's G.Filano. All new from dealer.

I have had very few problems, all of them with the Clicks. e.g., all 3 Clicks would need tyre inflating every few weeks, the Aerox 1-2/year.

Admittedly the Aerox is in another league in terms of price& performance, but lighting switches??

As for engine, give me a break. The Aerox 155 from 2021 has 155cc, and 15HP. The latest ADV/PCX 160 has 156cc(!), and also 15HP but at a higher RPM and they are heavier. How's that better?

Edited by arithai12
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Great feedback all, thanks. 

Agreed, the Nmax seems to have "overtaken" Pcx in my sphere of friends/general observation as well. A handful years ago I only saw pcx's....

The Nmax is tempting, but I'm worried about the increased size....it just seems bulkier to manage? 

On another note, the Yamaha/Honda official stores - are one able to "try" out bikes?

The Nmax and PCX share a design with lower seat and "armchair feeling", which I personally dislike but might be attractive to some. Also the forward footrest position, which is however only suitable for short people.

The Aerox has a more "sporty" and higher seat position, partly copied in the ADV.

Usually dealers don't have models to try out (well, once I was offered to ride one in the 50m parking space behind the dealer). But it's a good investment to rent out one for a day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:30 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Not true at all, I regulalrly go 80kph and very stable, 100 was ok too

If you refer to vibrations while driving on the straight, ok. But stable also means capable of holding the road in case of bumps, sudden accelerations, braking, change of lane.

Having had both Click and Aerox, there's no doubt to me that Aerox is a much more stable scooter (speaking of Click 125).

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I have had 3 Clicks and 2 Aerox, I also drive sometimes my wife's G.Filano. All new from dealer.

I have had very few problems, all of them with the Clicks. e.g., all 3 Clicks would need tyre inflating every few weeks, the Aerox 1-2/year.

Hardly a big deal tyre pressure going down, usually normal for tyres to go down. Did you buy new Aerox shocks? seems to be mandatory or get the dash fault?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Admittedly the Aerox is in another league in terms of price& performance, but lighting switches??

As for engine, give me a break. The Aerox 155 from 2021 has 155cc, and 15HP. The latest ADV/PCX 160 has 156cc(!), and also 15HP but at a higher RPM and they are heavier. How's that better?

Thanks mate! You convinced me for another Aerox ???? Haha. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting thread. Long story but the wife now has an XMAX 300. I haven't tried to ride it yet but nobody has mentioned this scooter yet. Anything to beware of for someone used to a Honda Wave base 100?

Plug and play just a bit wider and heavy, but when a 155cm with 40kg can handle it I'm sure most normal riders can do to. Why is the reason you need to limit yourself? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Plug and play just a bit wider and heavy, but when a 155cm with 40kg can handle it I'm sure most normal riders can do to. Why is the reason you need to limit yourself? 

Thanks for the encouragement! I inherited the Honda Wave from my father-in-law but my Mrs has now given it away to a friend in need. The XMAX was not an intentional purchase, she helped out a friends son who was unable to maintain the instalments and it now (sort of) belongs to her so I believe? 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:57 PM, Hummin said:

If a BMW does not feel different than a Click, it is either damaged, nobby tires out of balance and wrong air pressure, or your ability to know the difference between an adventure bike set up for mixed roads and a light bike with 14” rims. But anyway, as long you believe it, heck yeah, good for you

Even a Honda Wave with 17" rims are markedly more stable than the belt driven scooters like the Clicks

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1