Face masks still mandatory on public transport, cinemas in Thailand

webfact

On 10/3/2022 at 6:50 AM, jacko45k said:

Take a taxi. Get the DVD, or watch it on Netflix. 

Watching movies on my big-screen TV at home is getting more attractive by the day. Actually, I stopped going to cinemas more than 5 years ago. I wonder how long cinemas will last.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Watching movies on my big-screen TV at home is getting more attractive by the day. Actually, I stopped going to cinemas more than 5 years ago. I wonder how long cinemas will last.

I have only been to a cinema ones in 40 years

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rabang said:

just feel the masks give a very unpleasant vibe to a place, at least that was my impression in March 2020 in TH and then later in my country when masks became common from around mid-2020 until the beginning of this year. Now it is six months since they disappeared and life has felt normal. Even Asian people don't seem to wear them anymore, except for an odd tourist. Even if I don't have to wear a mask myself, and I won't, masses of faceless people will IMO reduce the quality of life considerably. Just my feeling, no need to argue about it.

What about other countries in the region, are they still equally mask obsessed? Outside of Asia the use of masks has nearly vanished for the most part I guess. Unless they are mandatory masks tend to disappear elsewhere, so there is something culturally particular about them for Asian people in general.

It's definitely starting to reduce but right now Thailand is one of the remaining handful of countries on earth where this masking is still very common. 

Singapore and Malaysia dropped their mandates recently outside of certain settings. Despite many Singaporeans thanking they would wear them still everywhere, mask wearing quickly dropped to low levels outside of PT where they are still mandated.

Even in Japan where they never had mandates but had universal adherence to masking, this is starting to reduce. South Korea is similar to Japan. Don't start on China, they are in a  different dimension to the rest of  the world now, but funnily enough, many expect them to drop the masks fast,  when they drop covid zero. I have acquaintances working in China who don't mask in corporate offices now.

I think we'll see real change in Thailand between now and then end of 2022, where even officials start appearing unmasked frequently, then mask wearers will become increasingly uncommon as 2023 starts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

It's definitely starting to reduce but right now Thailand is one of the remaining handful of countries on earth where this masking is still very common. 

Singapore and Malaysia dropped their mandates recently outside of certain settings. Despite many Singaporeans thanking they would wear them still everywhere, mask wearing quickly dropped to low levels outside of PT where they are still mandated.

Even in Japan where they never had mandates but had universal adherence to masking, this is starting to reduce. South Korea is similar to Japan. Don't start on China, they are in a  different dimension to the rest of  the world now, but funnily enough, many expect them to drop the masks fast,  when they drop covid zero. I have acquaintances working in China who don't mask in corporate offices now.

I think we'll see real change in Thailand between now and then end of 2022, where even officials start appearing unmasked frequently, then mask wearers will become increasingly uncommon as 2023 starts. 

I think mask wearing for the Thais goes beyond conforming...Its turned into a mindless addiction........

But hey I still see plenty of farang even in my own condo still tightly masked-up....

I have wanted to ask them why are they still wearing them...

But it seems just to hard to confront a stranger over the mask issue so I don't bother...

Has anyone noticed the chin mask wearers have almost disappeared....

Now people wear the full-on full-cover the face mask or no mask at all.....

How long is this mindless pointless mask wearing going to continue in Thailand when its not required.........

Is the mask wearing going to continue for years?

Is the mask wearing going to continue for decades?

Is the mask wearing going to continue forever?

I really wonder......

Its time to take the stupid things off....

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The cinema enhances the movie experience. I go whenever a good one comes along or just to kill a few hours. Long live the cinema.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You sure do have a problem with folks wearing masks. Give it a rest and let people who want to wear them for there own personal reasons alone. 

It's obvious that many foreigners in Thailand detest taking sensible precautions such as mask wearing in crowded public areas.There's a feeling, not really justified by evidence that Covid has gone away for good.

On this forum the section devoted to matters Covid has been prematurely removed for reasons unexplained as far as I know.

Wishing does not make it so and in the USA and elsewhere the Covid numbers are ticking upwards.In short I think the careful approach of most Thais is sensible.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

On this forum the section devoted to matters Covid has been prematurely removed for reasons unexplained as far as I know.

Not sure what you're referring to.

The forum did reorganize things recently, and the locations and links for some subforums did get moved around...

But there's still an active COVID topics subforum here, at the following link:

https://aseannow.com/forum/245-covid-19-coronavirus/

And of course, related topics also show up in the World News and Thailand News sections as warranted:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure what you're referring to.

The forum did reorganize things recently, and the locations and links for some subforums did get moved around...

But there's still an active COVID topics subforum here, at the following link:

https://aseannow.com/forum/245-covid-19-coronavirus/

And of course, related topics also show up in the World News and Thailand News sections as warranted:

OK thanks for pointing this out.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The cinema enhances the movie experience. I go whenever a good one comes along or just to kill a few hours. Long live the cinema.

The first reason I stopped going to the cinema is that good movies were becoming very hard to find. If you have a big screen with a good sound system and sit close to it, what's the difference? One thing you can't do is rewind it to rewatch interesting scenes or pause it to take a break or get snacks. I can stop watching it if is a bad movie and change to another one.... and they are free as I download them. I can't think of a single advantage of going to a cinema, and I was an avid movie-goer some years ago.

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

But it seems just to hard to confront a stranger over the mask issue so I don't bother..

You make it sound like it's your job to inform people that they shouldn't be wearing masks. If people want to wear masks, it's their business.

There are other reasons for wearing masks, and quite good ones too. I jokingly asked a neighbour in my condo building, who was wearing a mask, if she was still afraid of covid. She laughed and said: "no, I'm not wearing makeup". My wife continues to wear one for this reason too. I like it as she's quick to get ready to go out. Also, she buys top-end makeup brands, so it saves a lot of money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

You make it sound like it's your job to inform people that they shouldn't be wearing masks. If people want to wear masks, it's their business.

There are other reasons for wearing masks, and quite good ones too. I jokingly asked a neighbour in my condo building, who was wearing a mask, if she was still afraid of covid. She laughed and said: "no, I'm not wearing makeup". My wife continues to wear one for this reason too. I like it as she's quick to get ready to go out. Also, she buys top-end makeup brands, so it saves a lot of money.

Not really  "good"  reasons. Did she do that before Covid? Of course not. Not a great justification for a behaviour that's only become acceptable post pandemic. 

Wasn't long ago wearing a mask would get you questioned on entry to a building as to your motives..... Theft would be suspected.  

Now it's the other way round!! What a world we live in...

Went to Chatuchak Park today as well as the weekend market.  In the park I would say the majority, except foreigners were wearing masks as they walked.  Inside the weekend market it was still pretty much the same, only foreigners not wearing them.  On the MRT, it was packed at 5pm, and everyone I could see on the packed train was wearing a mask.  For all of the mask haters, you guys really need to stop criticizing folks who wish to wear the masks.  I will say that on the ride to Chatuchak from Silom at 12pm, there were a few foreigners not wearing masks, but as soon as an old man, who was wearing a mask started hacking and coughing, they produced masks and put them on.  So it appears that even though masks are not required and foreigners for the most part are going sans masks they still have them if needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Not really  "good"  reasons. Did she do that before Covid? Of course not. Not a great justification for a behaviour that's only become acceptable post pandemic. 

Wasn't long ago wearing a mask would get you questioned on entry to a building as to your motives..... Theft would be suspected.  

Now it's the other way round!! What a world we live in...

Absolutely it is a good reason. You're not a female who likes to get made up before you go out, and spend 1000 baht for a lipstick, and 2000 plus for other makeups etc so you would not understand this. She likes that she can quickly put on her clothes and go out. Before covid Thai people wore masks when they were sick. It is a new advantageous purpose for masks she discovered as a result of covid... which my neighbour found too, and probably many more. It's an advantage for me too as I don't need to wait for her to put on her face.

There will never be a problem with my wife wearing a mask and entering a building. Not many security guards would consider a 40kg waif to be much of a security threat. That will never happen. That's a very far fetched scenario.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

...Despite many Singaporeans thanking they would wear them still everywhere, mask wearing quickly dropped to low levels outside of PT where they are still mandated...

What do you mean with PT?

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

So why are the Airlines not requiring all passengers to wear masks?? Almost no passengers were wearing masks on both Bangkok Airways or Thai Smile in September and in October.

Because there's no mask mandate on airlines or any public transport in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Public transport in Singapore. 

Thank you. The only PT that came to my mind was the PT on lift buttons in Italy meaning pianterreno (English: ground floor) and it could obviously not be this.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Well if it is a movie like Scott of the Antarctic, yes it does!