Face masks still mandatory on public transport, cinemas in Thailand

webfact

I understand it was the Ministry of Public Health, not the military (please don't say they are the same thing), that is insisting masks be used in public places like trains, cinemas etc. While Thailand is making it mandatory, the CDC basically recommends the same thing:

"Masks are recommended in indoor public transportation settings and may be required in other places by local or state authorities."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Qualified doctors globally recommend wearing masks:

"Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives; the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19." World Health Organization.

Things change and so the on-again, off-again mask orders are a precaution. Yes, it is a nuisance but as guests in the country we are obliged to follow the law. It is a bit ridiculous for anyone to think that a health situation must be immutable, or that doctors have no clue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On my last trip up to Bangkok a couple of weeks back, I found wearing a mask meant taxi and tuk-tuk touts ignored me, ditto street hawkers and general urchins. I guess a farang with a mask on is judged as being local and not a gullible tourist. 

Everyone is still wearing them down in Hat Yai including the Malaysian tourists, not something I have a problem with. I fail to understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth this subject generates.

what about Songthaews  ?   they form a large part of the public transport system but are they classified as public or private ?   I see some wear masks and some not so if classified as "private" then I guess it's optional ?? 

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's a pickle, what do you do when you have still, high number of infections every week as well as death from the disease, but on the other hand you want to move forward and leave that dreaded Covid behind you for the sake of everyone including the image of Thailand for the tourism industry...

Simple.

1. Stop testing. AFAIK there has never been any testing in this scale for any disease in human history.

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced and unsubstantiated comment removed
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

On my last trip up to Bangkok a couple of weeks back, I found wearing a mask meant taxi and tuk-tuk touts ignored me, ditto street hawkers and general urchins. I guess a farang with a mask on is judged as being local and not a gullible tourist. 

Everyone is still wearing them down in Hat Yai including the Malaysian tourists, not something I have a problem with. I fail to understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth this subject generates.

'street hawkers and general urchins.' ????????????straight out of a Charles Dickens novel...

37 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I fail to understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth this subject generates.

That might be because most find masks uncomfortable and inconvenient. They are not needed now, haven't been for many many months and are not used in most of the world. It's an Asian thing, always was and perhaps always will be. Up to them, and any farang who is comfortable with them. No-one is stopping anyone wearing a mask if they want to. Saying you have to now is ridiculous and way out of line internationally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firemans35 said:

I was in Bangkok last month. Riding the BTS I heard the recording in English that went something like this. The Health Ministry has said wearing masks in open areas is no longer required. The BTS "RECOMMENDS" wearing a mask in the BTS Train. Never did they say it was mandatory. I think you need to read between the lines. No masks in open areas but inside the BTS Train is an enclosed area. Why the recording didn't say it is Mandatory to wear masks I don't know.

Yes, it's recommended, not mandatory.

I just wear a stupid mask where Thai social norms dictate. I know it's entirely stupid ... but I'm not here to make political point. The Thai have to wake up on their own.

Despite being married... I'm a guest. Even citizens don't make their own rules here. Sad.

Edited by onthedarkside
misinfo comment removed

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Mandatory or not, count me out.

But, it is likely most Thais will continue to wear masks for years, on motorbikes, at the beach, etc. Not me. I stopped wearing them the day the government announced that they were no longer required outdoors. 

If I am in a very crowded place, I will wear one, so that people do not freak out, but I am wearing it for them, not for me. 

The mass masking thing seems to be mostly Bangkok and even here it's selective. I was at the flower markets two days back and there were few masks. Got the MRT afterwards and there were some triple masked people. Got a taxi from the BTS and he was unmasked. 

1 minute ago, mnomad said:

No problem on the BTS this morning, maskless as usual, past two security people at each station, no issues.

Announcement on board still advisory "recommend". Nothing has changed. Several other foreigners demasked, no problems.

If it has suddenly became mandatory then the BTS company certainly didn't get the memo. It seems to me that this is a simple misunderstanding - possibly a poor translation from suggested to mandatory - or possibly someone speaking without authority.

Anyway, no mask no problem, i presume the cinema will be same, they weren't enforcing masks for Top Gun, doubt theyll start this week.

Good to know.  Progress is slowly being made! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, it's recommended, not mandatory.

actually on the BTS it's "suggested ... as recommended by the Ministry of Public Health".

I've got a recording of the latest English language announcement if you want. Crossy's mate does the voiceover I believe ????

don't flame me, I get bored on the short ride from Ratchadamri to Sala Daeng ????

Edited by Lemsta69

46 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Spend a few minutes looking at things like the CDC's website. I suspect they are somewhat more credible than your "I believe.." 

The idea that Covid was transmittable from viruses on surfaces was tossed around in early to mid 2020 but was shown to be wrong. In April 2021 it was stated by the CDC that the liklihood of surface transmission was incredibly low and they then clarified that in print saying there was no known instance of surface transmission. This was repeated in March this year. 

Again, you clearly have data the planet has missed. Can you share it? 

Thank you. Please note, I said (I was speaking from memory) that surface transmission was possible. You gave your response, thank you.

Your conclusions are not right. Yes, they say that transmission from some surfaces is low but they go on to say that, even so, they cannot rule out that in some cases, given their context, were not from a surface rather than the air.

They also talk about the volume of a surface deposit since a large deposit is more dangerous, I am sure you agree, than a small one.

I am not negating everything you say and I accept that some studies have concluded that surface contamination in some cases are essentially inert.

Contamination rates very low but not proven to be zero. Nevertheless, throughout the pandemic I have kept my hands sanitised at all times and kept them away from as many public surfaces as possible.

55 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

The mass masking thing seems to be mostly Bangkok and even here it's selective. I was at the flower markets two days back and there were few masks. Got the MRT afterwards and there were some triple masked people. Got a taxi from the BTS and he was unmasked. 

Not just Bangkok.  I am living in Chiang Mai and it's the same here 

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

I fear it won't end. Dead serious. If people don't return to normal their actions will damage society permeantly. The way humans interact socially is challenged. People live in fear of one another.

It's understandable if a person wears a mask for pm2. Covid is ridiculous. No one is wearing masks anywhere now in US. There, the farce is over.

Be rational. I have worn masks as long as anyone and I have hated every second of doing so. I have always known that the virus can get through the kind of masks that I wear. But they did not. I have not been infected. Look after your hands is the main motto most of the time.

I am waiting for the full all clear since I believe it is the best way to behave.

There are situations here, now, where people don't wear masks. In public, I mean. Things are easing.

All of these blustery foreigners on here are just wild. They are never right but they go their own way, as we know.

You mention the US and I mentioned the UK earlier: they are not shining examples, are they, let's be fair.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, todlad said:

Thank you. Please note, I said (I was speaking from memory) that surface transmission was possible. You gave your response, thank you.

Your conclusions are not right. Yes, they say that transmission from some surfaces is low but they go on to say that, even so, they cannot rule out that in some cases, given their context, were not from a surface rather than the air.

They also talk about the volume of a surface deposit since a large deposit is more dangerous, I am sure you agree, than a small one.

I am not negating everything you say and I accept that some studies have concluded that surface contamination in some cases are essentially inert.

Contamination rates very low but not proven to be zero. Nevertheless, throughout the pandemic I have kept my hands sanitised at all times and kept them away from as many public surfaces as possible.

That would be the same logic as saying it was not rules out it's  possible to contract COVID from touching a cat, eating a pizza, combing your hair or from Alien abduction.

Everything is 'possible', and the people who write these studies are scared or legal action if they don't add that extra part.