Face masks still mandatory on public transport, cinemas in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

I just wear a stupid mask where Thai social norms dictate. I know it's entirely stupid... but I'm not here to make political point. The Thai have to wake up on their own.

Despite being married... I'm a guest. Even citizens don't make their own rules here. Sad.

I do agree with the point, when in Rome. However, there is science that justifies wearing masks: they do cut risks. In the same way we should was with soap, use sanitisers ...

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, todlad said:

I do agree with the point, when in Rome. However, there is science that justifies wearing masks: they do cut risks. In the same way we should was with soap, use sanitisers ...

Soap, alcohol effectively kill the virus.

Yet, for over a year I've relaxed my paranoia and only clean my hands after using the toilet and have not used alcohol sanitizer for a year.

Several long haul busses, long haul international flights, both wife and self work with large numbers of people. No covid or I should say... never tested positive.

In the end, imo it's unhealthy people, unhealthy, co-morbidities and/or people just put directly in the path of the virus.

I contend it spreads via contact no more than a typical flu or cold (edit)

42 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Soap, alcohol effectively kill the virus.

Yet, for over a year I've relaxed my paranoia and only clean my hands after using the toilet and have not used alcohol sanitizer for a year.

Several long haul busses, long haul international flights, both wife and self work with large numbers of people. No covid or I should say... never tested positive.

In the end, imo it's unhealthy people, unhealthy, co-morbidities and/or people just put directly in the path of the virus.

Is Fauci here in Thailand, and what does the US have to do with this countries response.

With this countries regulations it seems to have fared better than the west and others now hasn't it. Yet you can not accept that fact. 

Sure they were slow on the vaccine uptake and are still behind yet this country is far ahead Healthwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is Fauci here in Thailand, and what does the US have to do with this countries response. 

Most if not all directives came initially via US CDC.

But I'm pleased that you believe we should ignore the <deleted> as myself

• Thanks 1

Face masks are not even mandatory in cinemas and has never been.

Everyone just comes to thr cinema, takes their sears and removed their face masks for the movie. That is how it works and is done. 

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed

32 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Most if not all directives came initially via US CDC.

But I'm pleased that you believe we should ignore the <deleted> as myself

Yet you can not answer my question I posed.  Did Thailand or did not Thailand fare better? Did they follow the US and Fauci?  I will wait for your answers.

39 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I contend it spreads via contact no more than a typical flu or cold (edit)

Even Fauci flip flipped on masks. You are right and I have read one of his emails on the matter in which he poo pooed them.

Fauci did suggest a double layer of the masks most of us wear. I saw a demo of a man. Who wore 8 masks at a time that, he said, guarantees that the beggars can't get in!

But masks are not all born equal: some much better than others.

Fauci changed his mind on the matter and even admitted being wrong at some stage.

In terms of who gets COVID, your suggestion that it's only unhealthy people is palpably wrong.

6 hours ago, firemans35 said:

That may be true and I'm not arguing with you but that's not what this article says. 

Another poster above had the following explanation, which is technically true, but I dunno if it explains the policy reason...

BTS might not be considered "public" transport as referenced in the government policy explained in the OP, because the BTS technically is operated by a private company.

That might explain why the BTS for some time now has had its own policy of recommending facemask wear, but not requiring it, as they had previously.

So, if that were the case, then the face mask public transport policy would apply to venues like BMTA buses and the Airport Rail Link line, which is run by the government's SRT agency...

Unfortunately, the OP article doesn't elaborate on just what "public transport" entities their policy is going to apply to...

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Show me the royal gazette mandate where all restrictions were lifted.....

Government Gazette website Issue requirements under Section 9 of the Royal Decree public administration in Emergency Situations BE 2005 No. 46

https://www.bangkokbiznews.com/news/1011747

The degree is dated......23 June!!

From Thursday June 23, the wearing of face masks outdoors and in public places is no longer mandatory and people are free to choose whether to wear one, according to an announcement published in the Royal Gazette yesterday.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Government Gazette website Issue requirements under Section 9 of the Royal Decree public administration in Emergency Situations BE 2005 No. 46

From Thursday June 23, the wearing of face masks outdoors and in public places is no longer mandatory and people are free to choose whether to wear one, according to an announcement published in the Royal Gazette yesterday.

That's the supposed mask mandate and not the mandate for all Covid restrictions being lifted. Still waiting to see that one as it disbanded the CCSA and ended the Emergency decree on October 1st.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's the supposed mask mandate and not the mandate for all Covid restrictions being lifted. Still waiting to see that one as it disbanded the CCSA and ended the Emergency decree on October 1st.

Yeah, masks.....that's what the thread is about

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet you can not answer my question I posed.  Did Thailand or did not Thailand fare better? Did they follow the US and Fauci?  I will wait for your answers.

Yes, they effectively followed the US and regional guidance from my perspective. Certainly, I cannot recall anything where Thailand did not toe the line, follow status quo unlike say ... Sweden. So much so it still is mandating masks in certain situations. Innovation? Absolutely not.

Did the Thai nation fare better? I think its difficult to judge. Thailand has far fewer densely populated cities, greater rural population, younger population, healthier population. Without doubt the country has entirely stumbled through it's inconsistent and ridiculous decisions. That I would think crystal clear to even a child. A year on post covid and we are still in masks - that is a poor decision on many levels. So, no not better at all.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wombat said:

Masks stop the spread of the common cold in public places...mandatory or optional I will continue to wear one when in public.

Not to mention the lasting effect an unguarded  sneeze has on an area.  Some particles can last suspended for hours as they're lighter than air.

I cringe when I think about a few times in my life when an uncivilized person behind me has sneezed on the back of my head.  Reading about sneezes will make a believer of most people IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mnomad said:

No problem on the BTS this morning, maskless as usual, past two security people at each station, no issues.

As far as this reported government policy is concerned....

The issue MAY be that BTS is not considered (by the MoPH) as "public transport," as it's operated by a private company, not a government agency...

Now the interesting part will be...now that the MoPH has lately gone public with this new mask policy governing "public transport," will the BTS change again and go back to its prior policy of mandatory face mask wear.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Not to mention the lasting effect an unguarded  sneeze has on an area.  Some particles can last suspended for hours as they're lighter than air.

I cringe when I think about a few times in my life when an uncivilized person behind me has sneezed on the back of my head.  Reading about sneezes will make a believer of most people IMHO.

I too cringe at that but you can't change those folks...

It's quite natural for even simple people to cover their mouths when sneezing.

I cannot recall the last time I was near a stranger that sneezed in public and did not cover up.

What else need I do for you Mr Stranger so that you feel more comfortable in public? An idea... Stay home. Problem solved entirely.

People die daily on roads and you're worried about total hypotheticals

Edited by BonMot
trolling comments removed
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The issue MAY be that BTS is not considered (by the MoPH) as "public transport," as it's operated by a private company, not a government agency...

Now the interesting part will be...now that the MoPH has lately gone public with this new mask policy governing "public transport," will the BTS change again and go back to its prior policy of mandatory face mask wear.

Highly speculative.

I'd be shocked to learn BTS, minivans, buses are not considered public transport. Planes certainly are.

Genie isn't going back in the bottle. The public knows the ability for masks to stop spread of covid. That is next to nill.

It's done and the government will begin to look extremely foolish if not already attempting to keep these draconian mandates in place.

You can now enter Thailand WITH covid. It's done, truth is out and we can all breathe easier now

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So now you acknowledge this is not necessarily a mandate, and at best "reported government policy"

There is no mandate on PT and cinemas.  Mandates require a law.

It looks like a poorly translated recommendation statement of a single official, widely reported. 

Only time will tell though, as they say - this is Thailand! 

3 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

So now you acknowledge this is not necessarily a mandate, and at best "reported government policy"

No, I believe that MoPH has announced this policy pertaining to public transport and cinemas, as reported in the OP and various other news sources including the BKK Post.

These guys (the Thai government) come out with policies on various things all the time that are never ratified by the Parliament, but instead are passed by the PM's Cabinet or just announced by various ministries.

What I don't know is what this policy will mean for the BTS system's current policy of only recommending face mask wear. And more broadly, I don't know how serious the public transport operators will be in enforcing it.

29 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I too cringe at that but you can't change those folks...

It's quite natural for even simple people to cover their mouths when sneezing.

I cannot recall the last time I was near a stranger that sneezed in public and did not cover up.

What else need I do for you Mr Stranger so that you feel more comfortable in public? An idea... Stay home. Problem solved entirely.

People die daily on roads and your worried about total hypotheticals

Thanks for the reply but please tell me exactly where I said I wanted to change peoples  behavior?   You must have read a different post.    I commented on the activity.    NO Sir, there's already a corrective policy in place to prevent sneezes from spreading diseases.   It's called a mask.

Edited by onthedarkside
off-topic personal comment removed

25 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Mandates require a law.

Not true. In fact, mandates are often suggestions and do not absolutely carry force of law.

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

I don't think this is really promoted/ pushed by the government - you're free!!! Free at last little birds!

Also of the opinion and admittedly did not read the decree that it does not necessarily include inside bogeys of BTS MRT. For the meantime, I'm ok with wearing a mask inside the bogeys. I live here and not trying to bring undue stress on Thais - but it must end.

Edited by BonMot

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite Thailand relaxing almost all of the measures put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19, the wearing of face masks remains mandatory on public transport and in cinemas, the Department of Health has said.

The wearing of or not wearing of face masks is purely a personal choice, which is fine.

But, Covid has not dissappeared, it is still around, albeit not fatal [for most]

However, some people do have underlying serious health issues and therefore have concerns about any infection.

While the strong and healthy boast about not wearing one and that anyone who does is a lemming is down to their rather blinkered outlook.

Shops, transport facilities may indeed say that they prefer the continued wearing of masks for the time being.

Mass transport is the fastest way of keeping any infection alive and mobile.

Shops may say they have a duty to protect staff and public alike.

I say do as you please, if you're strong and healthy ditch the mask by all means,  but don't mock others who for their own personal reasons do not wish to do so.

If a shop says you must wear a mask to enter and you don't agree, simply use another shop.. an easy enough solution.

Your personal freedom comes with your personal choice.. use it as you will but don't force your opinion on someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some added confirmation, posted Oct. 1, by the National News Bureau of Thailand (the government) of the OP report in this thread:

Screenshot_14.jpg.a8ed5e1021a4d0ba8f34f015e3c3b184.jpg

"The Ministry of Public Health has said it will maintain the mandate that people wear masks on public transportation and at cinemas to minimize health risks and ensure public safety.

The Public Health Ministry’s Department of Health held a press conference to address sanitation and environmental health standards as Covid-19 is set to be reclassified from a dangerous communicable disease to a communicable disease under surveillance on October 1.

During the conference, Dr. Aekkachai Piansriwatchara, Deputy Director of the Department of Health, stated that the department still maintains the requirements for people to wear face masks and follow social distancing guidelines as much as possible when using public transportation or going to the cinema in order to ensure safety in crowded areas."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/pfbid02p7Tj6Mgb5RPVG1sTKZpmARosjMqc2JgEuWGRDL77hQGszZgzaVNGWGoz9KcBPryNl

The BKK Post also carried the same report, based on the same MoPH news conference, in an article posted to their website on Sept. 30.

But in both cases, again, no elaboration of just what agencies/operators are supposed to be covered by this.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I was wondering the same thing - if the Emergency Decree has ended, then based on what legal basis is this doctor saying this? Sounds more like opinion than an actual rule.

MOPH and the DDC here in Thailand can make rules which is what has been done.  Since the Emergency degree has been lifted the DDC is in control and can do as they deem appropriate, no need for anything to be approved by someone else.  If you think they can not and your so sure then hire an attorney and sue them in court .

• Like 1