Blood Clot DVT and Flying Long Haul

siftasam

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Back in 2008 my doctor in the UK wanted to put me on anticoagulants. He said heparin wasn't used any more and warfarin was the only option. Depends what he meant by that.

I declined his offer and remained on aspirin until 2016 when I started the apixaban.

He may have been teferring to what the NHS would pay for at that time

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He may have been teferring to what the NHS would pay for at that time

Nothing to do with cost, it was discontinued due to potential complications. He was discussing lifetime use and never specifically referred to short term use.

Thank you so much everybody! Invaluable advice.

I take the point about it not being an emergency visit, only a holiday; however, this will be my last opportunity to travel to Europe, I think. Certainly, my last chance for, hopefully, a great hiking holiday. I've lived in Thailand 14 years and only been out of Thailand once to go home to see my brother in England. Dammit, I need a holiday! - and having this year paid a small fortune for a new UK passport, I'm not going to waste the money entirely!

I know this is a gamble but, using your advice, I'm prepared to risk it. I have 8 months to get leaner and fitter. I must do this anyway, so the holiday gives me a great specific target to aim for. In my village it is too dangerous to walk much; besides, anyone who knows the Bernese Oberland knows how unequalled it is for hiking and natural splendour. 

Yes, compression stockings are a MUST. I've never worn them before. I'll seek advice on what type/brand.

Yes, NO alcohol.

Yes, I'll drink a lot of water. I'll collect some after the security check and ask for as much as I can on board, although I'll hope to sleep well on the return red-eye flight to BKK.

Yes, Business Class. Throne Seats if I can reserve or, at worst, ask to 'upgrade' showing my papers about DVT from the Hospital. (Dammit, though, the champagne is free in Business Class!)

Yes, I'll try to reserve seats near the toilets and galley or bulkheads and exit rows for best legroom and better opportunities to move around. I'll check with seatguru.com.

My heart is strong but my prostate could be better. (You know the feeling?). Good reason also to be near the toilets BUT it concerns me that there are so few toilets! 62 Business Class seats on Swiss Boeing 777-300ER and only 3 toilets? I'll carry my hospital stoppered pee bottle in my carry-on. (And what 'a carry-on' this trip could be!)

My doctor has agreed for me to take Eliquis again (I've stopped it now) in the few weeks before I go. I don't intend to inject myself with anything but I am considering aspirin on the day of the flight - but I think I cannot take Eliquis and aspirin on the same day?

The initial hospital diagnosis was: 'blood clot at left anterior tibial vein. Provoked uncomplicated distal DVT at left calf together with varicose veins. Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of other deep vessels of lower extremities....Medication: Eliquis 10 mg for 1 week then 5 mg for 3 months.'

The follow-up ultrasound almost exactly 1 year ago read: 'No residual blood clot in deep venous system of left leg'. Doctor recommendation  was to 'keep taking NOAC and 6 month observation/follow up. 'No signs and symptoms of DVT. Patient doing well.'

In February 2022 the report was: 'Doing well. DVT. resolved HT DLP'. 

Thanks again everybody!

On 10/7/2022 at 4:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

2) Wear graduated compression socks (decent ones, not the flight socks from boots which are better than nothing, but not that good either) ... I’ve found Skins to be very decent, but there are others out there. The Pharmacies of Major hopitals make stock decent graduated compression socks. 

This is really important, especially proper fit.  I used to fly regularly as a courier and needed to wear them.  Baby powder is useful as they tend to chafe around the tops and the powder helps prevent it.

These guys are goofy but their information is excellent:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Has all that finished now ?

Being a courier on flights ?

Larger international logistics providers often use couriers, sometimes inhouse, sometimes contractors but usually by private arrangement as was my case.  

There were some international companies that specialized in "hand-carry's" but I don't know which ones are still operating.