On the subject of Wise, I just made a transfer from GBP (UK bank) to THB (my Thai bank).  The estimated time was "seconds".  OK, great.  Then when I made the transaction, I'm now told it won't appear for FIVE DAYS.  Anyone else experiencing / experienced this?

The email literally says "We’ll pay out your money shortly. And it should be there October 17. " - my definition of "shortly" is not 5 days.

Edited by TingTawng
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TingTawng said:

On the subject of Wise, I just made a transfer from GBP (UK bank) to THB (my Thai bank).  The estimated time was "seconds".  OK, great.  Then when I made the transaction, I'm now told it won't appear for FIVE DAYS.  Anyone else experiencing / experienced this?

The email literally says "We’ll pay out your money shortly. And it should be there October 17. " - my definition of "shortly" is not 5 days.

I just did a similar transaction today, instead of instant, it took an hour, but went in ok.

Is it possible to cancel and try again? There is turmoil (as they say) with the pound again, could be the reason

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11304709/Pound-plunges-Bank-England-boss-says-pension-funds-Friday-balance-books.html

39 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I just did a similar transaction today, instead of instant, it took an hour, but went in ok.

Is it possible to cancel and try again? There is turmoil (as they say) with the pound again, could be the reason

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11304709/Pound-plunges-Bank-England-boss-says-pension-funds-Friday-balance-books.html

I tried again and it initially said "seconds" - when I finalised the send, it's now saying 17th October 2022. 

They've guaranteed me a rate, but 5 days? This is slower than the slow banking system. 

Edited by TingTawng

4 hours ago, TingTawng said:

I tried again and it initially said "seconds" - when I finalised the send, it's now saying 17th October 2022. 

They've guaranteed me a rate, but 5 days? This is slower than the slow banking system. 

Guarantee is only good for a max 5% change.

Any more and the transaction will be cancelled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pontious said:

The banks are shut from 13 -16 October - I expect  that is the reason.

Well I was promised a transaction in "seconds" according to their website.  On completing the transaction, they've told me 17th October.  I've been using TransferWise since 2016 regularly (several times a week).  This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy in transaction times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TingTawng said:

Well I was promised a transaction in "seconds" according to their website.  On completing the transaction, they've told me 17th October.  I've been using TransferWise since 2016 regularly (several times a week).  This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy in transaction times.

Not a great deal that Wise can do about Thai banks being shut!  In actuality, your money will most probably already have been transferred - it will just take until the banks update that it will reflect on your account.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Not a great deal that Wise can do about Thai banks being shut!  In actuality, your money will most probably already have been transferred - it will just take until the banks update that it will reflect on your account.

PH

But I can still do a bank to bank transfer on my phone app on those days.

So the computers are not on holiday.

Edited by KannikaP

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But I can still do a bank to bank transfer on my phone app on those days.

So the computers are not on holiday.

I think Wise use an agent in Bangkok - if the banks are closed he /she cannot access his /her sack of Thai  Baht to transfer.

20 hours ago, TingTawng said:

I initiated a transfer from the US at 6am on Oct 12. Wise says I will get it in my SCB account on Monday the 17th.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, TingTawng said:

Could you please tell me what reason you gave for the transfer? There has been a lot of talk on the forum about this. Many say that if you choose 'funds for long term stay' it will slow down the transfer because it has to be 'hand managed'.

I never use this option and all my transfers have been instant, even during a local holiday.

• Like 2

Just made a transfer...UK (my Wise Account) to Kasikorn.  Arrived immediately.

I need to do a transfer before the end of the month anyway and thought to initiate now so that if delayed to 17th, with current volatility of GBP, and if rates moved in my favour, could cancel the transfer and start a fresh with better rate to get an extra Leo or three into my THB account. 

But Kasinkorn text saying funds arrived buzzed onto my phone as soon as I pressed confirm on the laptop Wise button.

PH

44 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

With the GBP rate climbing above 43 decided to move some funds to my SCB account just now. Gave reason as 'General exps' and, as previously with this category, it arrived in seconds. 

Can only think that some of the delay issues noted up thread must be due to reason issues, primarily long term visa category use.

Or those sending from countries other than UK?

7 hours ago, PPGuy said:

With the GBP rate climbing above 43 decided to move some funds to my SCB account just now. Gave reason as 'General exps' and, as previously with this category, it arrived in seconds. 

Can only think that some of the delay issues noted up thread must be due to reason issues, primarily long term visa category use.

I've just had the same experience this morning. Funds into my Krungsri account in seconds. @proton reference your comment above. If you look back up to the post by @Ting Tawng you will see that he was the one who reported that his payment is delayed and he clearly says GBP (UK Bank). So I disagree with your comment about 'countries other than UK'. 

I agree with @PPGuy that the reason for transfer than one chooses does influence the speed. It seems that those who choose 'funds for long term stay' in order to ensure a TFF code on their account, must wait until normal banking hours. And as we know it's holiday time here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Must be the holidays. I made one transfer on Saturday - it arrived in 5 seconds and another on Monday which took a little longer but not much.  The weekend thing doesn't seem to apply anymore but its likely that holidays do have an effect.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just tried sending 1kGBP, selected "Long term stay in Thailand" ........ ETA 17th.

Cancelled and sent again using "General Expenses" .... in my BKB account instantly.

So it's the Long Term Stay option causing the delay.

@Moonlover & @PPGuy thanks for pointing out the 43 rate, too good to miss!

Now that's what I really call 'conclusive evidence'. Nice one. ????

On 10/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, FarangRimPing said:

I initiated a transfer from the US at 6am on Oct 12. Wise says I will get it in my SCB account on Monday the 17th.

Several people here imply that using 'long term stay' for a reason of the transfer is the cause of the problem. I believe it is A cause, but not the sole cause. I ALWAYS use 'for general expenses' and it is still taking a long time. Maybe it's a problem with SCB. 

• Like 1