Thailand’s gun control remains problematic

webfact

Just now, connda said:

Shooting birds eating fish?  There are less dangerous options.
I wouldn't want your wife to have a .22 either.  Her popping off trying to kill bird would probably end the life of a neighbor or villager walking by.

Most Thais don't have a clue about gun safety.

Get a pellet gun.  It will do the job without putting people down-range at risk of getting killed.  A .22 wound is no laughing matter.

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I think their attitude is not my problem until they lose a loved one due to gun violence illegal guns corruption all the things that Taylan is so used to nothing will change TIT

i agree.. I also think this line of thinking applies to many other issues/problems… it’s not a “real” problem until it hits at my “home” so to speak… 

Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019

1. El Salvador — 36.78
  2. Venezuela — 33.27
  3. Guatemala — 29.06
  4. Colombia — 26.36
  5. Brazil — 21.93
  6. Bahamas — 21.52
  7. Honduras — 20.15
  8. U.S. Virgin Islands — 19.40
  9. Puerto Rico — 18.14
  10. Mexico — 16.4

US - 10.6 deaths per 100,000

Thailand - 5.2 deaths per 100,000

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

5 hours ago, connda said:

Shooting birds eating fish?  There are less dangerous options.
I wouldn't want your wife to have a .22 either.  Her popping off trying to kill bird would probably end the life of a neighbor or villager walking by.

Most Thais don't have a clue about gun safety.

Can you tell me the successful method you have used to control birds then please. ????

9 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Simple answer is tighter and proper licensing and better control of ownership. The current rules are pathetic.

The wife went through the process with the view of owning either a .17 or .22 single round rifle to control the white birds eating all the fish. She got her license but was then told a rifle was far too dangerous a weapon......but she could have a 9mm Beretta. Experts will correct me but I think the Beretta can hold 21 rounds but it is advised to load no more than 17. Far less dangerous !

Less dangerous if you are 100 metres away. I doubt your wife could hit anything with a 9mm Beretta at even 25 metres but with a .17 HMR or .17 WSM and a decent scope she might hit something 100 metres away.

Most countries in the world have a long way to go before having the same gun problem as the USA does..

The same goes for the amount of people killed each year, except in some war zone. USA is number one.

I guess the big population in the USA and gun attitude with the NRA at the top of the heap, does not

help the situation. Oh well the world keeps on turning. Carry on.

11 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Can you tell me the successful method you have used to control birds then please. ????

I built a frame with chicken wire over to protect my fish.... mind you they are at most a cm or so long, and their home a 1m diameter pot!

Nothing problematic about it at all  .......   Just start a house to house door knock and search for illegal firearm in parallel run a gun amnesty for a month.   Also,  run a TV ad campaign explaining what required. 

Each household can either hand them in or face consequences if anything is found.    10 minutes each house ....  village by village.   

They might be amazed at the results ....     and find alot of drugs also. 

The door to door will give the RTP something to do other than sitting on their fat backsides all day.  

oh sorry '    that's too logical for Thailand.

Guns don't kill, people do. And sometimes they have a very good reason to do so and sometimes they are nutters or insane, or both. And sometimes the same people they just give orders to use guns. In Russia, in Thailand and elsewhere.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, finnomick1 said:

Experts will correct me but I think the Beretta can hold 21 rounds but it is advised to load no more than 17. Far less dangerous !

I don't claim to be an expert, but the Beretta M9 series has undergone a few design changes since it's introduction in 1985.  It typically has a magazine designed to carry 15 or 17 rounds.  In 2021 the latest version, the M9A4, came with an 18 round magazine and some other upgrades.  They do make some extended magazines (20, 30, 32, & 35 round) but these are not conducive to carrying the firearm.