Gas flares

edwardandtubs

There is an archived thread about the Bangchak Oil Refinery gas flares. I used to be able to see a huge flare from my condo in Udom Suk and travelling along the Skytrain you can see more all the way to Bang Chak station.

Is this the only area of Bangkok with gas flares? It seems living within 5 km of one is a health hazard so I'm trying to avoid that now I'm choosing a new condo.

When they built Bangchak it was surrounded by fields. It wasn't even considered in Bangkok at the time. Then unrestricted expansion of housing occurred and the factory was surrounded by housing. Best to move away. 

Gas flaring is a necessary evil. If the gas is released unburnt, its methane content is 100 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than the carbon dioxide created when the gas is burnt. Some wells do not produce enough gas to make it worthwhile as a commodity.

Oil well cannot produce safely without doing something about the accompanying gas. Most producers will opt for the most effective contribution to the bottom line.

Any time humans burn something, they are producing harmful chemicals. Simple chemistry. As the auto industry has shown, devices and software aimed at defeating diesel emission standards are part and parcel of the profit motive. The people that have shorter lives as a result are merely statistical noise.

Be more concerned about the heavy, all encompassing, combustion engine pollution you breathe in BKK. Watch out for those dang wind farm turbines  ... Donald Dump told us they cause cancer, and we all know what a learned, and deeply honest man he is so it must be true hahaha ????????????????

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It didn't look like a small stack from my balcony, burning all night and releasing benzene. And it's not just one.

Flaring can occur at the drilling or the refining stage. And the closer you are the worse the health impact, hence my question.

18 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It didn't look like a small stack from my balcony, burning all night and releasing benzene. And it's not just one.

Flaring can occur at the drilling or the refining stage. And the closer you are the worse the health impact, hence my question.

Looking at any flare during the hours of darkness will amplify the size.

What health impacts are you talking about? I'm sure there is more pollution from other sources in BKK worse than that gas stack.