Middle aged maid with a knife causes hour long drama at Bangkok police station - she wanted officers to contact her boyfriend

webfact

Years ago I was in a police station taking care of some routine paperwork when they asked me to help them talk to a foreigner.  He was obviously off his meds and, though well-spoken and apparently well educated, he didn't really make any sense.  After talking to him for some time I told the cops that he might be more rational after a meal and a good night's sleep.  The head policeman took us both out to eat some fried rice near the station and that is the last I heard of the matter. 

I was impressed by the patience and the diplomacy that they showed.  They just wanted to know which embassy to call and took quite some time trying to get that information out of him. 

The Thai police can be justifiably criticized for quite a few things, but they show a lot of patience and skill talking to mentally troubled people.  In a standoff, they are willing to take things slow and come to a peaceful resolution, unlike the killer cops in the US.

• Thumbs Up 1