Marijuana use is becoming a new normal among U.S. young adults

onthedarkside

Marijuana.jpg.e8d5060b0e2217e4339c6849c9628944.jpg

More than two-fifths of young men and women nationwide now use cannabis at least on occasion, according to federal data, a quotient that has risen steadily in a decade of relentless legalization. Much of the trend is driven by young women, who have all but closed a decadeslong gender gap in marijuana use.   

Across the full adult population, marijuana use may stand at an all-time high. It’s hard to tell because, prior to the legalization movement, federal cannabis research focused largely on the young.  

The share of all adults who said they had tried marijuana in their lifetimes reached 49 percent in 2021, the highest number measured in half a century of Gallup polling.  

“In the next few years, we should see that crossing 50 percent,” said Lydia Saad, director of U.S. social research for Gallup.

(more)

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/3693312-marijuana-use-is-becoming-a-new-normal-among-young-adults/

150926445_TheHill.jpg.6667450d7f08452dd2de37bda3d7801c.jpg

• Like 1

It's been pointed out by political commentators that GOP members of US Congress are keeping suspiciously mum on the subject of cannabis.

I think it has something to do with a former GOP Speaker of the House (Boehner) who is known, these days, for working for cannabis interests.  Other than those with philosophical reasons against the stuff the biggest challenge would come from the alcoholic beverage industry, afraid of things like football tailgate partys where joints will replace beer.

Edited by bendejo

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

It's been pointed out by political commentators that GOP members of US Congress are keeping suspiciously mum on the subject of cannabis.

I think it has something to do with a former GOP Speaker of the House (Boehner) who is known, these days, for working for cannabis interests.  Other than those with philosophical reasons against the stuff the biggest challenge would come from the alcoholic beverage industry, afraid of things like football tailgate partys where joints will replace beer.

Marijuana use soars among college students while alcohol use drops: research

A National Institutes of Health (NIH) study has found that marijuana use among college students is soaring as alcohol consumption drops. 

In its “Monitoring the Future” report, the NIH found that 44 percent of college students reported using marijuana in the past year, a 6-point increase from 2015. Daily marijuana usage ticked up from 5 percent to 8 percent of respondents during that time. 

Meanwhile, 56 percent of college students said they consumed alcohol last year, dropping from 62 percent in 2019.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/medicare/571992-marijuana-use-soars-among-college-students-while-alcohol-use-drops/

To the title ... when did it ever stop being the norm.

We smoked it from early teens.  My friends kids smoked it, from early teens, and their kids have smoked it from early teens.   3 generations in my peer group, and no noticed increase or decrease over the 5 ish decades of smoking that we've lived.

People smoking publicly without fear of incarceration is the only difference.

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

I think it's broader than that. I guess a significant share of  their voters actually smoke weed. It differs from other countries, such as some European countries, where right-wing people tend to be against it.

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

A National Institutes of Health (NIH) study has found that marijuana use among college students is soaring as alcohol consumption drops. 

Well, the first thing is you have to question how these studies come up with their numbers.  I would think any smart student would never tell a survey-taker "yes" because it could get them expelled, arrested, shamed, and whatever else.  To illustrate how shocking knowledge of it's use can still be go back to not long ago when a certain attention-craving entrepreneur supposedly took a toke from a passed joint during a podcast and when word got out the price of his company's stock immediately dropped ("the CEO is on drugs!") and and it seemed every media outlet covered the story.

In states where recreational is legal, in my experience, the shops often do suggestive selling of edibles.  There are no telltale clues with these things: no dogs can sniff them out, no smells of pollen, burning, vaping etc.  Gummies, chocolate bars, and hard candies look like any other candies.  Even a dorm-mate may not know you're so inclined.

Personally I think the biggest threat is people doing concentrates and using those mini-flamethrowers while they're high, there's a disaster just waiting to happen there.  I'm concerned my neighbors are going to burn the house down.  I admit I'm somewhat clumsy under the influence, I won't even get a glass bong because I'll probably break it in a few days. 
SCORCH MEGA 5 JET TORCH Lighter Butane Lighter

Edited by bendejo