More shelters and jobs to be created for the homeless in Bangkok

snoop1130

86609DA6-0A21-4561-9FD6-A2BC24A577E7.jpeg

More shelters are to be built for homeless people in Bangkok and more jobs opportunities will be made available to them, particularly for those who have recently become homeless, to improve their quality of life and to reduce homelessness, according to Deputy Bangkok Governor Sanon Wangsrangboon.

The deputy governor chaired a meeting of city officials and representatives of non-governmental organisations and relevant agencies yesterday (Wednesday), to discuss homelessness in Bangkok and to develop ways to find shelter and jobs for them, so they can earn incomes and pursue a normal life.

Among the agencies that took part in the meeting were the Employment Department, the Social Development and Welfare Department, the National Health Security Office, theInstitute of Asian Studies at Chulalongkorn University, the Mirror Foundation and the Somdet Chaopraya Institute of Psychiatry.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/more-shelters-and-jobs-to-be-created-for-the-homeless-in-bangkok/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

If the homeless people in my district are representative of the issue then more needs to be done in regards to mental health and substance abuse support. It's very apparent that many of them suffer with serious mental health issues and substance abuse problems. 

Agreed. And before being housed. Housing druggies and drunks before treatment will just lead to homelessness again as they will be booted out

• Like 1

Google tells me ONLY 150,000,000 souls are homeless in the world.  I gotta imagine that number is much higher.  1,000,000,000 souls living on less than $1 per day.

I think everyone should have compassion for the homeless.   You will have the clowns who try to villainize these people.   The world is not fair to many, help if you can.   

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

More shelters are to be built for homeless people in Bangkok and more jobs opportunities will be made available to them, particularly for those who have recently become homeless, to improve their quality of life and to reduce homelessness, according to Deputy Bangkok Governor Sanon Wangsrangboon.

They need long term employment opportunities, and that won't be happening anytime soon with this government.

5 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Google tells me ONLY 150,000,000 souls are homeless in the world.  I gotta imagine that number is much higher.  1,000,000,000 souls living on less than $1 per day.

I think everyone should have compassion for the homeless.   You will have the clowns who try to villainize these people.   The world is not fair to many, help if you can.   

Unfortunatley there are 3 different classes of homeless.

1. those with psychiatric or physical  issues. Loss of limb, mental incapacity, drugs alcohol 

2. those who although they have or had the desire to work and live a normal life and have the capability can not find a safe place to live or a job that will allow them a quality of life getting them off the street, and

3. unfortunately, those that just are to fragging lazy to get off their assets and find that they enjoy this life better.

I can sympathize with the first 2 groups but unfortunately, a lot of people just see the 3rd group.

The second group is probably the easiest.  Establish schools to teach skills to adults. Bring in teachers that can teach them a skill.  Teach some mothers how to operate a daycare for all the kids so the other moms can get the education.  This has to be sponsored by companies in Thailand that are willing to give these people jobs when they complete their training

Put a limit on the number of foreign labourers hired at hotels and restaurants.  Create a hire Thai atmosphere.

People that have lost limbs or have physical issues can also be taught trades.  The problem is that in this country and others, there is such a job force that it is easy to cast these people away.

Group 1 is, in fact the hardest, and that is because unless they want help, there is nothing you can do.  One possible assist would be to allow those treatment centers that have proven effective records.  Add on to Wat Thamkrabok and provide skills training for those that require it so that once they have gotten clean, they then have a skill that they can use and keep busy with after they leave.

• 2 weeks later...