1-Year Non O-A Retirement Visa for American

The following is a snippet from “Required Documents” needed for when applying for the 1-Year Visa:

4.   Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing
      – a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht; or
      – an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht; or 
      – a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht. 
      – In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank
        (an original copy) is required.

Please note the forth line from the top.  It reads “or a deposit account PLUS a monthly income of not less then 800,000 baht”.

I already purchased my airfare for travel late December.  I intend to submit my application soon with all required supporting documentation.  My interpretation of these instructions indicates if I provide a copy of my Retirement Statement showing my monthly income and then combine this amount with my Siam Commercial Bank Statement balance adding up to an annual total in excess of 800,000 baht, it would comply with the income requirement for them to facilitate the approval of my Retirement Visa.  I also plan to immediately begin having my monthly retirement distributions transferred directly to my Siam Commercial Bank account.

I would like to ask any fellow Americans if they agree with my interpretation or if they experienced any problem with their applications regarding this.

I appreciate all your comments.  Thanks for your professionalism and for conveying your experiences.

Samui Steve

Applying for OA visa is usually funds in home country bank account. Not funds in a Thai account.

The text you quote is basically saying , equivalent of 800k in the bank, OR an income of 65k a month OR a combination of both totaling 800k. 

A whole lot easier just to come to Thailand on a visa exempt/tourist visa, and sort out retire extension in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

It reads “or a deposit account PLUS a monthly income of not less then 800,000 baht”.

That is just error in how they wrote it. Just ignore " PLUS a monthly income".

What you need if you are going to combine your income  and funds going a bank account to the  reach the 800k baht total. That is only a option since it is or statement.

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Is their really any up side with the OA instead of entering visa exempt and going for the O visa here in Thailand?

Some folk just do not want to have money in Thai bank.

Also funds not required to be kept in account with a non O-A.

Prior to insurance is was excellent visa.

Hard to make a case for one now.

19 minutes ago, BostonJoe said:

Looks like a new chapter in life starts for you in December  Enjoy your retirement 

It would seem so however if anyone is planning on living in Thailand ongoing a poor choice would be a non O-A.

As demonstrated by the many folk killing off their non O-A in order to obtain a non O based on retirement.

No ongoing insurance requirement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Some folk just do not want to have money in Thai bank.

Also funds not required to be kept in account with a non O-A.

Prior to insurance is was excellent visa.

Hard to make a case for one now.

I got an OA in 2019 when I started staying long term in Thailand. Too much hassle now and I switched over to Non O. If Covid hadn't happened I'd probably still be on the OA + extensions.