what's going to happen

1FinickyOne

11 hours ago, BE88 said:

Living in a dystopian country we have not yet noticed anything if we do not read the Western news it's better.

if we do not read the Western news it's better............ Then you might still consider going on holidays to places that were once safe destinations.

Mexico (Cancun - Acapulco for example). Do not consider going there any more.

Jamaica (Oh yes, been dangerous for decades already). Venezuela.

Haiti, used to be a wonderful place to visit. Visitors were revered. Today, better to take a one way flight.

Somalia ( friendly some 60 years ago ????)

Colombia, Nigeria, Afghanistan,

And more.

These places used to be safe, and it is not getting better.

But from what the Western news seem to indicate, I can still visit some Buddhist countries, and make it back home safely. ????

• Thanks 1

If Asean Now is a form of news, the impression of what it will be like to live in Thailand has been influenced by it, and sometimes damaged by it. Sometimes when you get a slew of crime and corruption stories ... or flood, heat, and pollution stories ... or farang treated badly because of this and that stories .. it can turn you off.  But also stories about life show that it can work and be fun and has lots of potential up sides too.

I do see that there are nasty bad things, that I hope get resolved in the world, but nothing that is likely to require a new or different course of action for my situation. 

11 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Head in the sand, is not a promising strategy in a shtf senario.

Just saying.

And which one of these worldly crazy issues, do you think your voice will have an effect, make a difference on ?  Have you ever written you politicians ?

I personally can only effect the eco/MMGW/CG issues, that I'm pretty sure aren't ever real.  But hey, since it benefits my wallet in the long run, I can go solar & operate EVs instead of petrol.  Surely helps, but to what degree, if any.

Raise my kid properly, not to add to the social disorder, and that's about all we can do.

MSM is the new comic strips no longer available.  If you didn't laugh at all the silliness, you'd end up offing yourself ... "Good bye cruel world"

Contrary to MSM, I believe life on this rock, most things. is getting better & better everyday in almost every way.

You can buy into the doom & gloom if you want ... I'm not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Learn to speak Mandarin, the Chinese will control the world within the next 20 years! Bow to the Emperor!

It does appear inevitable, but alot can happen. China faces a multitude of serious problems, from within. And they still lack a serious navy, with long range ports. Time will tell. The current system appears to be unsustainable in the long term. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It does appear inevitable, but alot can happen. China faces a multitude of serious problems, from within. And they still lack a serious navy, with long range ports. Time will tell. The current system appears to be unsustainable in the long term. 

I think China shares the same problem as Thailand does.  They both want to develop past their reliance on income from abroad (China manufacturing and Thailand tourism), but this is not something that anyone can "will" to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

but I think most would agree that from politics to disease, things have never been this crazy... 

I'm gonna nominate the 1930s and 1940s as way crazier than current times.

I bet someone who has studied history thoroughly would have other candidates as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think China shares the same problem as Thailand does.  They both want to develop past their reliance on income from abroad (China manufacturing and Thailand tourism), but this is not something that anyone can "will" to happen.

One billion Chinese cannot afford many of the products made in China, even with wages continuing to rise. With the ridiculous policies of the CCP, such as refusing to allow a single case of covid, refusing to allow any unemployment, etc., they are in a difficult and potentially disastrous situation. 

The only real upside with the economy collapsing there, would be the likelihood of the CCP getting tossed out like smelly bathwater. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I get mine free w/my internet... 

I get less now, with adblocker, seems if you don't want to be part of their click bait revenue, denied access to read past the headline.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I get less now, with adblocker, seems if you don't want to be part of their click bait revenue, denied access to read past the headline.

so, you get that service that eliminates advertisements? Is it like $12.99 a month... abt same as Netflix? Seems worth it as I have a big screen computer and don't like to get out of the recliner... [sipping on my Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak] 

23 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, you get that service that eliminates advertisements? Is it like $12.99 a month... abt same as Netflix? Seems worth it as I have a big screen computer and don't like to get out of the recliner... [sipping on my Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak] 

Free with Chrome, just an adblocker app/extension.  Half the news-blips I open have this -  "to continue reading, please disable your adblocker"

Don't think so ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Free with Chrome, just an adblocker app/extension.  Half the news-blips I open have this -  "to continue reading, please disable your adblocker"

Don't think so ... ????

Are you the only other guy here who has had a Frank's black Cherry Wishniak? Wish I could have one now. If I don't get crushed under the heavy weight of nostalgia... maybe Gamma glob has had one - he comes from Main Line

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Are you the only other guy here who has had a Frank's black Cherry Wishniak? Wish I could have one now. If I don't get crushed under the heavy weight of nostalgia... maybe Gamma glob has had one - he comes from Main Line

I was more 'Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer' person/kid.  Parents use to have bbq's and kegs of beer, with a keg of birch beer for the youngins'.   Remember that and vanilla cream sodas in the bottle, for those not into birch.

Seems 'PepsiCo' has taken over all ... damn shame.

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If Asean Now is a form of news, the impression of what it will be like to live in Thailand has been influenced by it, and sometimes damaged by it. Sometimes when you get a slew of crime and corruption stories ... or flood, heat, and pollution stories ... or farang treated badly because of this and that stories .. it can turn you off.  But also stories about life show that it can work and be fun and has lots of potential up sides too.

I do see that there are nasty bad things, that I hope get resolved in the world, but nothing that is likely to require a new or different course of action for my situation. 

IMO Thailand is one of the better places to be.

It's not hard to live well here. I keep a low profile. I am aware everybody lies here, or tells me what they think I want to hear. I never disclose any financial information, except to Immigration on extension day.

I've been on the planet for Stalin's death, the Suez crisis, Kennedy's assassination, the Six Day War, the Cold War, 9/11, the GFC and COVID. To me, the Ukraine War is just another crisis which will be resolved one way or another. I can't do anything about it except call out Russian trolls on ASEAN.

Why worry about something over which I have no control? The world will go on, with or without me. That's what will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1