what's going to happen

1FinickyOne

2 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Far far fewer people dying from war or sickness than previous centuries. Everyone enjoying a much better standard of living. Most sustainable fertility rate mankind ever had.

It's interesting both Russia and China have ageing populations, People above 60 in China are forecast to be 30% of the total population by 2050.

The situation is even worse in Russia, where women are much more numerous than men, and there are far less young people coming up.

I'd disagree there are fewer people dying in war, the butcher's bill in Ukraine must be quite high, although getting an accurate estimate is well nigh impossible.

Maybe you are just too finicky, my friend. 

However, assuming that this topic has been submitted in a more serious vein, I tend to agree with your premise that we are on the cusp of experiencing events which humankind has not yet witnessed. 

Why are we, seemingly, at the brink? 

My best guess is that most people are bored and tired of life lived under present conditions. 

Even my fellow alumnus, Chomsky, of Philly, seems boring to me, these days. 

Even a cheesesteak, not to mention cheesecake, seems boring, now. 

Even the youngsters in China are choosing to lie flat, something I never thought might happen in my lifetime. 

I like your topic. And, you don't often post topics. 

If you really want to know, as Holden once said, why many more people are suddenly waking up to the fact that the gumdrops are hitting the fan... 

It's an easy matter to explain. 

Three decades ago, guys like E. O. Wilson, and so many other peerless peer-reviewed scientists, have been in a funk. 

Why? 

Most scientists who have a finger on the pulse of the world have known what has been happening. 

Years ago, one of the most depressing jobs was to be a research biologist studying the state of the oceans, ecosystems, or whatever. 

There is no more depressing work than this. 

That was three decades ago. 

But these days, after three or more decades, the science data is just beginning to filter out in a way which is beginning to impact upon the public's psyche. 

In the past, it was only scientists who felt the greatest angst. Now, even your idiot neighbor is able to see the changes. 

But now, it's already too late. 

Because, now, can't you see, we're on the eve of destruction? 

In order to truly comprehend the predicament which now confronts us, then you gotta know something about momentum. 

Not only this, but you also gotta know something about growth and the exponential function. 

And, you also need to know a bit more about human nature, and the fact that no individual is willing to downsize, or endure any sacrifice, for the wellbeing of the group, especially when the group is the world. 

We can make sacrifices for the good of family members. Sometimes, we can make personal sacrifices for the good of members in our own village. But, be darned if we will drink less coffee so that somebody on the opposite side of the world can have what we have. 

The problem is that most people do not care enough to read the science. They do care about trends. 

Instead of spending an hour per day, reading science journals, they put their trust in Blind Faith that all will continue to be right with the world, until Kingdom Come.

You really should have been reading much more E. O. Wilson, decades ago, when we still had a glimmer of hope to turn this around. 

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, I planted a tree. 

The day before, I bought a Musk Car. 

By 2050, world population will increase from 7.7 billion, today, to 10 billion in 2050.. 

Please check this prognostication recently published by the UN. 

Musk has stated that we can fit the entire world's population on the island of Manhattan. 

Sounds like a plan. 

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yesterday, I planted a tree. 

The day before, I bought a Musk Car. 

By 2050, world population will increase from 7.7 billion, today, to 10 billion in 2050.. 

Please check this prognostication recently published by the UN. 

Musk has stated that we can fit the entire world's population on the island of Manhattan. 

Sounds like a plan. 

"The current world population of 7.6 billion is expected to reach 8.6 billion in 2030, 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100, according to a new United Nations report being launched today. With roughly 83 million people being added to the world’s population every year, the upward trend in population size is expected to continue, even assuming that fertility levels will continue to decline."

You may wonder why Musk, the wealthiest genius on our planet, is so worried about population decline, maybe even population collapse. 

Musk is worried about many things. This may be the result of his overindulgence in smoking weed. 

Musk worries about the possibility that the AI robots he is creating may, someday, turn on their master, and destroy not only mankind, but Musk, himself. 

Personally, I LOVE Musk. I grew up on the books of Tom Swift. 

However, no matter how truly wonderful may be Musk's achievements, as well as his scope of knowledge, and his usually accurate insightfulness about our world, still this South African is not a god. 

In the end, my greatest wish is to see Musk go to Mars. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maybe you are just too finicky, my friend. 

However, assuming that this topic has been submitted in a more serious vein, I tend to agree with your premise that we are on the cusp of experiencing events which humankind has not yet witnessed. 

Why are we, seemingly, at the brink? 

My best guess is that most people are bored and tired of life lived under present conditions. 

Even my fellow alumnus, Chomsky, of Philly, seems boring to me, these days. 

Even a cheesesteak, not to mention cheesecake, seems boring, now. 

Even the youngsters in China are choosing to lie flat, something I never thought might happen in my lifetime. 

I like your topic. And, you don't often post topics. 

If you really want to know, as Holden once said, why many more people are suddenly waking up to the fact that the gumdrops are hitting the fan... 

It's an easy matter to explain. 

Three decades ago, guys like E. O. Wilson, and so many other peerless peer-reviewed scientists, have been in a funk. 

Why? 

Most scientists who have a finger on the pulse of the world have known what has been happening. 

Years ago, one of the most depressing jobs was to be a research biologist studying the state of the oceans, ecosystems, or whatever. 

There is no more depressing work than this. 

That was three decades ago. 

But these days, after three or more decades, the science data is just beginning to filter out in a way which is beginning to impact upon the public's psyche. 

In the past, it was only scientists who felt the greatest angst. Now, even your idiot neighbor is able to see the changes. 

But now, it's already too late. 

Because, now, can't you see, we're on the eve of destruction? 

In order to truly comprehend the predicament which now confronts us, then you gotta know something about momentum. 

Not only this, but you also gotta know something about growth and the exponential function. 

And, you also need to know a bit more about human nature, and the fact that no individual is willing to downsize, or endure any sacrifice, for the wellbeing of the group, especially when the group is the world. 

We can make sacrifices for the good of family members. Sometimes, we can make personal sacrifices for the good of members in our own village. But, be darned if we will drink less coffee so that somebody on the opposite side of the world can have what we have. 

The problem is that most people do not care enough to read the science. They do care about trends. 

Instead of spending an hour per day, reading science journals, they put their trust in Blind Faith that all will continue to be right with the world, until Kingdom Come.

You really should have been reading much more E. O. Wilson, decades ago, when we still had a glimmer of hope to turn this around. 

Nobody seems to care enough about trends. 

I hate to be finicky. 

But, trends portend our future. 

Excellent topic. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:58 PM, ivor bigun said:

as long as the baht stays higher than 40 to the pound ,i try not to worry to much ,but i hate to think what the future holds for my grandkids in the UK ,mind you its a foreign country already ,compared to when i was young there.

The present will always be a foreign country for those that live in the past.

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is the problem - when push comes to shove people are just plain selfish, myself included.

The best phrase to emerge in the recent past? "Virtue-signalling" - starts at the top and filters down to 99% of us. Buy a plane ticket and someone will promise to plant a hundred trees somewhere? Whatever floats your boat.

I'll happily confess - I look around and I am just so happy that I never had kids - I don't have to worry too much about the present and I don't need to give a **** about what happens to the world I leave behind when I pop off in a few years time.

Edited by London Lowf