Changing last name in Thailand as a Thai

FarAway

On 6/20/2023 at 3:38 PM, FarAway said:

Please read the topic.

Our marriage is not registered in Thailand and we do not want to do it.

We just want her to have my last name.

Several people here mentioned it would be possible, but obviously it is not possible. Now we do not know how to proceed anymore.

Hi, what did you end up doing about this? My wife and I are in the same situation about this. I was told that for a name change all that is required is the Thai ID Card and house book. Only difference between us and you is that we have no children so we don't need permission from anyone. We mostly want to do this so my wife can get a Thai passport with the same as her Australian passport name (mine). Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 10:02 AM, bmanly said:

Hi, what did you end up doing about this? My wife and I are in the same situation about this. I was told that for a name change all that is required is the Thai ID Card and house book. Only difference between us and you is that we have no children so we don't need permission from anyone. We mostly want to do this so my wife can get a Thai passport with the same as her Australian passport name (mine). Thanks.

Hi, what did you end up doing too? We have no children either :smile:

Be very interested if you needed any other documents other than Thai ID Card and house book.

Although, I bet it depends on the amphur office and person behind the counter.

Wife will probably go within the next week and find out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, BaanOz said:

Hi, what did you end up doing too? We have no children either :smile:

Be very interested if you needed any other documents other than Thai ID Card and house book.

Although, I bet it depends on the amphur office and person behind the counter.

Wife will probably go within the next week and find out.

My wife was rejected outright. They appeared to enter my surname into the computer and it came up as being held by a Thai citizen already. The person behind the counter said, "it's already been taken and you can't use that name". With that my wife left the Ampher and didn't try again. My Question was, how come Thai people can ordinarily change their names with ease but you were rejected? She said what can I do they said NO.