how to find a tailor/designer for a complicated project

whomever

I'll be living in Thailand for a while (Bangkok mainly) and need to find someone to help with some complicated tailoring. But before you all tell me, no problem, there's tons of tailors, I have to say it's pretty involved. Honestly, 'tailoring' might not even be accurate. It's more like I need help creating a small fashion line. Here's the gist of it:

I'm trying to make a couple jackets. One of them is quite a complicated design. I have extensive illustrations and also a pattern -- but it's not a final pattern. It has to be mocked up, then modified, then a new pattern made from it, then mocked up again for fit. I intend to make the final product out of an unusual industrial material, so that adds a little complexity. I'm bringing the material with me, but I have a finite supply so it's important to iterate on muslin before using the production material.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience working on weird tailoring stuff -- more than just suits and dresses -- or thoughts on how I might look for someone. I expect to do quite a bit of leg work before finding the right person, so I'm definitely happy to follow leads that are more involved than simply a recommendation for a tailor. The latter I wouldn't even really trust.

Feel free to ask for further info or DM me as you see fit..... And thanks for your thoughts ????

Look for the local Tailors that make the uniforms for local Govt, Nurses etc. (NOT the conventional commercial suits etc).They are all independent and are made on the premesis. What you have described will not be cheap and is very time consuming.Many will not be able to do it, but will tell you they can.Some will give you an outrageous price because you are not Thai. If you dont speak Thai its going to complicate the issue further getting your expectations translated accurately. Hard task, lots of legwork.Suburbs would be better than typical commercial shopping areas.Good luck !

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 3:50 AM, CharlieH said:

Look for the local Tailors that make the uniforms for local Govt, Nurses etc. (NOT the conventional commercial suits etc).They are all independent and are made on the premesis. What you have described will not be cheap and is very time consuming.Many will not be able to do it, but will tell you they can.Some will give you an outrageous price because you are not Thai. If you dont speak Thai its going to complicate the issue further getting your expectations translated accurately. Hard task, lots of legwork.Suburbs would be better than typical commercial shopping areas.Good luck !

from CharlieH "...Many will not be able to do it ...".

Part of the situation is that although nurses (and other) uniforms are a bit different they are commonly made therefore patterns already exist.

Where I'm leading is that from your description you're lookig for a person/business that can innovate a pattern for something (garment) which is way outside of normal/standard/known patterns.

A 'heads up'. Please be aware that creativity/innovation are not typical strengths here and the ROTE learning nature of Thai education impedes creativity and innovation.

BUT there must be at least 1 or 2  'out of the box/experienced' Thai folks (maybe even an experienced resident foreigner) who can help you to get started.

Keep seaching and good luck. 

CharlieH are you good at design/with the scissors? 

Edited by scorecard

On 10/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, phetphet said:

I know nothing about tailoring, so this is just a suggestion.

What about trying one of the fashion schools? You might be able to find someone there that could do such work.

Good suggestion.

On 10/24/2022 at 3:23 PM, davemos said:

I used to do production  of limited fashion  here.. If you like I can  show you how?  

Will DM you.

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Part of the situation is that although nurses (and other) uniforms are a bit different they are commonly made therefore patterns already exist.

Where I'm leading is that from your description you're lookig for a person/business that can innovate a pattern for something (garment) which is way outside of normal/standard/known patterns.

A 'heads up'. Please be aware that creativity/innovation are not typical strengths here and the ROTE learning nature of Thai education impedes creativity and innovation.

I take your point, and I know it's more involved work than most tailors are in the business of. I think the economics of the job are a big part of it. Even in New York tailors tend to be very good, very fast, very specialized, and incredibly cheap -- and you'd never expect them to entertain a design project. That said, I don't need anyone to innovate -- I have a pattern, and I have clear ideas of the work that it needs. And in the fashion design part of the cosmos, this is all routine work. So the question is more how do I find a fashion designer who works for-hire in a retail way, like tailors do.

I've got to say that just talking about it is making me very excited to start pounding the pavement and just asking around. Soon soon!