Famous entertainment venue in Banglamung raided on Sunday morning, hundreds of tourists flee

webfact

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO everyone should visit a Thai nightclub at least once. I took some friends from home to NASA in Bkk ( space themed nightclub ) and it was quite an education.

I used to live just up the road from there 25 years ago, is it still open?

In those days there were no expats up that neck of the woods, if they ventured past Ekkamai they would get a nose bleed.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

But while the officers were examining, one male customer began shouting and refusing to be inspected. Then, chaos began when hundreds of tourists tried to push through the guards’ defense lines and fled from the scene to escape the inspection. Due to less officials than customers, most tourists managed to slip away.

Welcome to Thailand... 

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

<The parties in Riyadh don't even go down this way!  Pathetic!> True! The Saudis, despite their outward morals always put business first and they know they should not mess with a party full of foreigners and their own elite!! This is another chapter of the "Only in Thailand" novel!

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

I used to live just up the road from there 25 years ago, is it still open?

In those days there were no expats up that neck of the woods, if they ventured past Ekkamai they would get a nose bleed.

No idea if still open. I went there in the mid 90s.

My friends were all western females so didn't think it a good idea to Gogo. Got in a cab and asked driver to take us to a nightclub.

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I remember there was a time before the military government when the opening times were not extended but shortened. I think the idea was to get rid of this sex tourist image. Then the military government came and they extended the opening times of these entertainment venues pretty quick.

The night after the coup in 2006 all of Soi Cowboy opened until 5am in the morning.

Previously they were being forced to close at 1am to 2am. Police had lost control when the govt. of Pol Col Thaksin S. was ousted. 

I watched the coup unfold in Heart of Darkness and Howies on St. 51 in Phnom Penh and flew back in at 6am in the morning, still half cut, to witness humvees on the expressway from the airport. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is really pathetic if anyone supports a place where patrons are selling, possessing and taking drugs.

The place should be shut down permanently!

One would assume at most entertainment places half the patrons are on drugs..

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The parties in Riyadh don't even go down this way!  Pathetic!

Given any "parties" in Riyadh were on compounds off limits to the mutawah not surprising.

The best parties were given by royals in the desert. I never got an invite because only western females were asked.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The night after the coup in 2006 all of Soi Cowboy opened until 5am in the morning.

Previously they were being forced to close at 1am to 2am. Police had lost control when the govt. of Pol Col Thaksin S. was ousted. 

I watched the coup unfold in Heart of Darkness and Howies on St. 51 in Phnom Penh and flew back in at 6am in the morning, still half cut, to witness humvees on the expressway from the airport. 

Before Thaksin I used to Gogo till after dawn in Bkk and Pattaya ( which never closed- always a bar open somewhere ).

Purachai ( may he burn in hell ) was the one that made everything close early.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Before Thaksin I used to Gogo till after dawn in Bkk and Pattaya ( which never closed- always a bar open somewhere ).

Damn, I miss the good old days. Was so much fun and you could go partying, without having to file for bankruptcy the week after…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yep, everything was open until the last customer left back in the day, after Purachai destroyed the nightlife you had to seek out little secret spots like Penny Black in Soi Cowboy or that little Karaoke bar on Ratchadamnoen for after hours drinks. There was a while where the Grace Hotel Disco and that hotel bar on Petchburi Road also filled an after hours criteria but they soon went by the wayside as the police got increasingly greedy. 

Hence why Phnom Penh became the best kept secret in South East Asia in the early 00's as it was open all day all night and there was no riff raff there unlike now. It was only the more intrepid expats that ventured over there. 

As the Cabinet has opening to 5 am for venues like this on the agenda both these unhelpful raids and the brown envelopes needed to head them off might be brought to an end.

Surely good for tourism, both nationals and foreign tourists looking to party the week end away and spending money to do so. Isn't this needed for economic recovery?

Surely good for the crackdown on corruption in the RTP allegedly a high priority for the PM. For brown envelopes to head off these raids and also for the  off the books cash "fine" negotiated at the police station at some point during interrogation of the alleged offender to secure release without a record of arrest and avoid the holding cells and prosecution. 

Common knowledge drugs like methamphetamine are sold in and out of clubs.  Obviously this club and others with late night club revelers are going to attract elements of the population who are into all of that.  Police around the world raid clubs based on intell (and corrupt for bribes). 

I don't like drug dealers as they ruin lives and make tons of money off greed.  

Users - they know the risk of being caught.  They run the gauntlet. If they are busted bad luck, they know it's llillegal. 

I am sure some forum readers here probably endorse amphetamines as they are users themselves.  Up to you if you are a junkie or casual user, but no sympathy if caught. The big downside is amphetamines can cause psychosis and serious violent crimes, which puts others at risk (like recent massacre possibly as a result of prolonged use).

Another problem here is the very bad reputation of the BIB, the widespread serious corruption, the fear of being arrested for some fictitious offence and being extorted for money.  Fleeing a raid therefore is potentially dual reasoned.  

7 minutes ago, aussienam said:

I am sure some forum readers here probably endorse amphetamines as they are users themselves.  Up to you if you are a junkie or casual user, but no sympathy if caught. The big downside is amphetamines can cause psychosis and serious violent crimes, which puts others at risk (like recent massacre possibly as a result of prolonged use).

I thought 'junkies' was a word reserved for those who inject heroin?

I'm not a user of meth or heroin, but I don't believe anyone who wants to indulge should be criminalised.

Most of the crime from drug use would be gone if it were legal.

Same as prohibition and alcohol.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

so in whatever country you are from, drug taking in clubs, and exceeding the opening hours is acceptable and the cops do nothing right?  take a reality check mate.

if the cops dont crack down on this sort of <deleted>, then we would be living in a lawless society.

We are living in a lawless society, unless of course there are plenty of brown envelopes on the go.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

There are laws against drugs and there are laws regulating the closing times. So you support people that don't care about laws? 

Ahead of Pattaya Police, yes I would support support people who don't care about laws. The only reason Pattaya police care about laws is money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

so in whatever country you are from, drug taking in clubs, and exceeding the opening hours is acceptable and the cops do nothing right?  take a reality check mate.

if the cops dont crack down on this sort of <deleted>, then we would be living in a lawless society.

Thailand was once semi lawless (in a real sense if not in theory) and a much better place to live in then than now. At least the Thais have taken a step in the right direction to improve the country's quality of life by legalising marijuana. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spock said:

Ahead of Pattaya Police, yes I would support support people who don't care about laws. The only reason Pattaya police care about laws is money. 

Is it just the Pattaya Bib or is it the country over.