Thai Tax on Foreign Pensions

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Be civil or don't debate!

The Thaiembassy link you posted is not an official Embassy of Thailand web site, it is a private link. The quote on the first page refers to Swiss nationals, who have  different reciprocal tax arrangements than the UK.

I'm not debating, I'm stating fact. The reply by Siam Legal, who manage the website clearly states that "Only income earned inside Thailand shall be subjected to tax during retirement. " The fact that the guy who asked the question was Swiss is irrelevant.

My replies are to help individuals who have read your misguided comments and I will let them decide  who is the bullsh1tter. I have nothing further to say.

8 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

I'm not debating, I'm stating fact. The reply by Siam Legal, who manage the website clearly states that "Only income earned inside Thailand shall be subjected to tax during retirement. " The fact that the guy who asked the question was Swiss is irrelevant.

My replies are to help individuals who have read your misguided comments and I will let them decide  who is the bullsh1tter. I have nothing further to say.

The question that was asked on the web site link you provided was, "I am planning to retire in Thailand. I was wondering about the following issue. Do Swiss nationals pay personal income tax as retirees in Thailand?"  The answer that was given in quotes is from an unidentified source and as far as I can see is not contained in the Thai Revenue tax code, if you think it is, please show us all where.

The discussion in this thread is about the UK State pension, not about the income tax of Swiss nationals, not about private pensions, not about the price of conch shells and not about pocket lint!

Edited by nigelforbes

15 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

But since a number of posters seem to want to have a different debate about the UK State pension and appear to not understand the tax laws, let's have the debate. (See earlier discussion posted along with copy of the Dual Tax Agreement DTA)

Hell, even the law makers who write the tax laws don't understand them. ????????

"It doesn't seem as though I'm going to be able to get my question answered so I'll defer to the Thai Revenue and will ask them.'

In a very general way this is OK but I am 100% sure that you can't rely on the IRS or Thai Revenue departments for anything other than a binding written opinon for your situation.

I say your situation as tax law is complex and does not always follow logic. For example a court in California could have a favorable ruling for similar situations but the IRS can and does say at times we dont agree and will only follow that ruling in that geographic area - a ruling might only be good for 5 states as an example.

As a side note I once was told by a Thai district tax director that my US income (over a year old) was fully taxable in Thailand. I politely explained the law and then disregarded what she said and all was well.

The only way to know for sure is for a qualified tax professional with experience in the area to do the research and then to be really sure you need a formal tax opinion.

Edited by TravelerEastWest
  • Like 1