Moving up to Mae Sai - how to find a house to rent?

simon43

Now I should actually be teaching at a school in Yangon (Myanmar).  That's where I was until a few weeks ago.  But I came back to visit Bangkok for a few days and then I couldn't get back to Myanmar!  The military junta won't give me a entry visa to get back into the country! So I can't go back.....

Friends and family in Thailand have also asked me not to go back anyway, because of the increase in violence, shootings, bombings etc. So, having considered all things, I've decided that my inability to return to Myanmar is maybe some kind of message to tell me not to go back!

But where to live in Thailand?  I spent several years living in Luang Prabang (Laos), so I like the hills and mountains.  Unfortunately, I also can't go back to Luang Prabang, because my (totally legal) amateur radio activities upset the local police chief, who did not appreciate a foreigner operating a radio transmitter on his patch!

I have no such problems in Thailand - I've been a radio ham in Thailand for 20 years.  So what better than to rent a nice, Thai-style house in the rural Golden Triangle, and relax with my radio hobby ????

But I need to find a house with a big garden, just outside the town of Mae Sai.  Of course, I can pass the word around, drive around the area etc.  But does anyone know of an agency that might help, or a local individual who could (for a fee), do the leg work to find a suitable property to rent?

I'm collecting a rental car in a few days from now (I'm in Pattaya).  After loading up the car with my radio antennas, ham radio rig and 24 bottles of M150, I shall make the long drive up to Mae Sai ????

• 1 month later...