Cable Tv Options In Phuket

natalie8

Hi all. I've been living in Phuket since December of last year and I have UBC Gold. I just found out that they're removing a couple of the sports stations, including ESPN. Their prices are very high for the service.

I've heard that there are 2 local cable companies, but when I look them up on the net, one doesn't have a web site and the other one has a web site under construction. I would like to know what stations they offer so I can make a choice. How about the service from these?

I ask because when I was in BKK, I started with one local co. and after a few months, they had removed all 3 of the Discovery channels without notice and they replaced them with Thai stations.

So, I switched to another company, same price and all (350 baht / mo) and they offered some decent stations, but alot of news stations. They have AXN and Discovery, but Discovery is all dubbed in Thai, so you have to watch English shows in Thai. that just doesn't work for shows like American Chopper. :D

So, if I could get your opinions on the local cable co's, the stations, the price and the service, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

:o

Which area in Phuket do you live. There are various local area cable companies. 2 in Patong, 2 in Kata/Kaoron. One in Rawai/Chalong. Also Phuket Town. They don't all have exactly the same channels. I think hey all have at least 3 sports channels. They actually programmng changes quite a bit, might be Eurosport, then jump to S1 or S6, so it's hard to knonw where to find a particular sports event. I have to scan hrough the various channels at the start time of an event. The best programming come from a South African company with 7 channels S1 -> S7, coving almost all major sporting events live. Live Formula 1, Wimbeldon, golfing, football, etc. Typical cost is 350 baht/month + some installation charge.

And why those SA Multichoice are shown on nearly all of them..

I know its not an issue to most but the signal quality is pretty awful also (UBC's not exactly hidef sharp either. But its bearable) lost of fuzzy channels and crosshatching / interference. I am sensitive to issues like this tho as I use a projector setup and big screen needs a good source.

And why those SA Multichoice are shown on nearly all of them..

I know its not an issue to most but the signal quality is pretty awful also (UBC's not exactly hidef sharp either. But its bearable) lost of fuzzy channels and crosshatching / interference. I am sensitive to issues like this tho as I use a projector setup and big screen needs a good source.

Hi all. I've been living in Phuket since December of last year and I have UBC Gold. I just found out that they're removing a couple of the sports stations, including ESPN. Their prices are very high for the service.

Where did you hear this? When?

With no ESPN and Formula One, I'll cancel my subscription in a second.

I've heard that there are 2 local cable companies, but when I look them up on the net, one doesn't have a web site and the other one has a web site under construction. I would like to know what stations they offer so I can make a choice. How about the service from these?

I ask because when I was in BKK, I started with one local co. and after a few months, they had removed all 3 of the Discovery channels without notice and they replaced them with Thai stations.

So, I switched to another company, same price and all (350 baht / mo) and they offered some decent stations, but alot of news stations. They have AXN and Discovery, but Discovery is all dubbed in Thai, so you have to watch English shows in Thai. that just doesn't work for shows like American Chopper. :D

So, if I could get your opinions on the local cable co's, the stations, the price and the service, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

:o

I have Cable and UBC and i can tell you Cable is crap it changes from english to thai half way into a film the english channels are all thai and the repeats well its all repeats i think if the thai the other end putting the DVD in likes a film he will just keep putting it on over and over

karl...

Same for me, especially when I can't see the EPL anymore.

BTW, I heard that UBC acquired the rights to broadcast the EPL the next season. Anybody know more about this?

Same for me, especially when I can't see the EPL anymore.

BTW, I heard that UBC acquired the rights to broadcast the EPL the next season. Anybody know more about this?

The programming and content on ESPN and Star Sports (http://www.espnstar.com) is independent of any cable company and is the same - at least - throughout SE Asia. I can't imagine UBC dropping either one but, hey, this is a country in which the ICT Minister doesn't use email and thinks that IT Conventions are useless because Thais can't innovate ;-(

True Visons' web site, programming guide, and reliability of information sucks SO BADLY that I use Singapore's Starhub site for ESPN and Star Sports (http://cabletv2.starhub.com/portal/TEPrgGuideAdvance.jsp) then I just subtract an hour.

Iggy