Thai psychologist recommendation

HighPriority

There is a young fellow, maybe 30 or so who lives near me - very kind man... I think he is a child psychologist but he might be willing to help out and listen. 

I think talking someone out of money worries and gambling might be difficult, but maybe nothing to lose?? I don't think he has a practice but is working at an orphanage. 

If you want me to contact him, send me a pm...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There is a young fellow, maybe 30 or so who lives near me - very kind man... I think he is a child psychologist but he might be willing to help out and listen. 

I think talking someone out of money worries and gambling might be difficult, but maybe nothing to lose?? I don't think he has a practice but is working at an orphanage. 

If you want me to contact him, send me a pm...

Thank you 1FO, I’ll be in touch ????????

My suggestion is to first get her assessed by a Psychiatrist.

once a diagnosis has been established then a treatment plan would be recommended, this may involve seeing a Psychologist.

I say this because I am not sure if your wife’s mental health issues are of a psychotic nature.

if it is then Psychologist can only support or advice. She will need medication.

I say this as a Retired Psychiatric Head Nurse with years of experience in the UK and here in Thailand.

I visit the Psychiatric hospital here in Chiang Mai regularly and they are about 30 years behind time!

But their medications are up to date.

mindfullness, meditation, talking therapies don’t work for someone whose thinking is disturbed, even though they can hold down a job.

The above is the way forward. You need to know what exactly is wrong with her. Mental Health problems is broad and vague.

I know many Thais here with different types of mental health issues. Some are trauma linked to an early age. Others suffer from more irrational thoughts.
Different approach needed depending on diagnosis. 
Hope you choose the correct path. Some Big Insurance Companies offer assessments online.

• Like 2

This organization might help.  
https://www.thaiwelfare.org/about

Their main focus is helping people of domestic violence.  But if you read their whole objective they also help and advise Thai people in Australia who have all types of personal issues.  You might get some advice or referrals from this organization 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

My suggestion is to first get her assessed by a Psychiatrist.

once a diagnosis has been established then a treatment plan would be recommended, this may involve seeing a Psychologist.

I say this because I am not sure if your wife’s mental health issues are of a psychotic nature.

if it is then Psychologist can only support or advice. She will need medication.

I say this as a Retired Psychiatric Head Nurse with years of experience in the UK and here in Thailand.

I visit the Psychiatric hospital here in Chiang Mai regularly and they are about 30 years behind time!

But their medications are up to date.

mindfullness, meditation, talking therapies don’t work for someone whose thinking is disturbed, even though they can hold down a job.

The above is the way forward. You need to know what exactly is wrong with her. Mental Health problems is broad and vague.

I know many Thais here with different types of mental health issues. Some are trauma linked to an early age. Others suffer from more irrational thoughts.
Different approach needed depending on diagnosis. 
Hope you choose the correct path. Some Big Insurance Companies offer assessments online.

I tried drugs. Did nothing.

19 hours ago, HighPriority said:

My thinking is this: Can I find a Thai psychologist who could consult via Line, Messenger, Facetime or such ?

My thinking is that the problem with an Australian Dr is my wifes English. My wife's English is self taught like many, and she lacks the nuances of native English speaking, hence I'm seeking suggestions for a Thai Dr to help her understand her issues better.

Let her go back to Thailand, visit her daughters and seek a doctor in her home area.

I'm sure the visit back home will rejuvenate her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you tried drugs and it didn’t work then she hasn’t a psychiatric problem!, 

her problem could be psychosocial. In which case a Psychologist or Counselor should be able to help.

you have been sent some links. Maybe worth trying. Many Aussies have taken Thai women back. Some speak very good English, if you could find one as an Interptreter. Or as someone suggested, get her back to Thailand for treatment 

• Like 1

If gambling is one of her problems, then she may very well need an addiction center. Many in Thailand with Thai speaking stafff. Residential Care is essential, addiction is not the easiest to treat. But the Thai Centers have Pyychologists and Psychiatrists, Non- residential or out patients could be a waste of time and money!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

If gambling is one of her problems, then she may very well need an addiction center. Many in Thailand with Thai speaking stafff. Residential Care is essential, addiction is not the easiest to treat. But the Thai Centers have Pyychologists and Psychiatrists, Non- residential or out patients could be a waste of time and money!

Psychology is difficult enough to treat, addiction is a nightmare.

• Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, your wife needs a psychologist (or social worker/counsellor) not a psychiatrist.

There are only a small number of Thai psychologists and none that offer treatment via zoom etc that I know of.

Her best option is to try with an Australian counsellor. Her English language skills will be a constraint but hopefully not an insurmountable barrier.

• Like 1