Computer screen

Gandtee

With the cost of labor being higher, and electronics being cheap these days, I agree with other members who say buy a new one.  They are not that expensive. 

At your age, you may find the new screens a lot easier on your eyes as well. 

In the mean time, you could plug your computer into your TV and use it as a big monitor, or maybe you have a small TV that is not used so much and you can repurpose it to a monitor. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

With the cost of labor being higher, and electronics being cheap these days,

Agree electronics are cheap but do not find the cost of labor in Thailand to be excessive.  What is an issue is getting parts to repair equipment.  And in this case would retire computer to be provided to repair shop (all in one unit).  If any sensitive information on hard drive maybe not a good idea (without removing drive).  But using an external monitor may not be an easy fix for OP and take up too much desk space.  Perhaps consider a used laptop which can be used in an easy chair rather than buying new monitor.  

As normal there are various roads that can be taken.

As really not able to see what is wrong it could be as simple as video controls on computer getting pushed during cleaning.  So probably taking to a computer shop would be a good first step and they would be able to advise probable issue and cost to fix and likely would not cost much for that information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree electronics are cheap but do not find the cost of labor in Thailand to be excessive.  What is an issue is getting parts to repair equipment.  And in this case would retire computer to be provided to repair shop (all in one unit).  If any sensitive information on hard drive maybe not a good idea (without removing drive).  But using an external monitor may not be an easy fix for OP and take up too much desk space.  Perhaps consider a used laptop which can be used in an easy chair rather than buying new monitor.  

As normal there are various roads that can be taken.

As really not able to see what is wrong it could be as simple as video controls on computer getting pushed during cleaning.  So probably taking to a computer shop would be a good first step and they would be able to advise probable issue and cost to fix and likely would not cost much for that information.

Hi, you must have missed my post.

I'm reasonably sure the screen is burnt and exibits that grey/bluish look.

In old technology screens with blue, green, red colored screen pixels, if you continued to use one part of the screen alot it burnt or flared that part of the screen (that's why they had those screen saver programs that moved the scanning electron beam randomly around the screen).

I just saw this greyish screen yesterday on a wheel alignment screen and remembered back to monitors at the TV broadcast stations having test patterns burnt into the screen. So the problem will just keep slowely getting worse. Increase the font intensity and size and decrease the contrast is the way to go.

16 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hi, you must have missed my post.

I'm reasonably sure the screen is burnt and exibits that grey/bluish look.

In old technology screens with blue, green, red colored screen pixels, if you continued to use one part of the screen alot it burnt or flared that part of the screen (that's why they had those screen saver programs that moved the scanning electron beam randomly around the screen).

I just saw this greyish screen yesterday on a wheel alignment screen and remembered back to monitors at the TV broadcast stations having test patterns burnt into the screen. So the problem will just keep slowely getting worse. Increase the font intensity and size and decrease the contrast is the way to go.

That was a serious issue with CRT displays (ghost image) but almost never happens with modern LCD.  His post says image is fade to gray - like many of us do in later years.  It may be partly his eyesight (mine sure do not like normal display screen) as well as many other things - photo was just not in focus and screen did not appear to have anything on it.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, sandyf said:

Wow, in all my years never seen a computer that has not had a video output in some form or other. As far as I can see all current Lenovo all in ones have an HDMI output.

My old HP laptop does not have HDMI, it has a display port and had to get an appropriate cable. Same with my Lenovo notebook, that has mini HDMI and had to get a cable for that.

My one piece Table top Acer Z605 PC only has a USB socket. Can a monitor be connected to it?

11 hours ago, Gandtee said:

My one piece Table top Acer Z605 PC only has a USB socket. Can a monitor be connected to it?

Yes. You would need to know what input ports the monitor has and then get an adapter cable. Probably USB to HDMI and with the age of the computer check it is USB 2.0 compatible. If you only have one USB port may have to use a USB hub to maintain an available USB port.

I use a small TV rather than a monitor, good bit cheaper, and as my laptop does not have HDMI output I have Displayport to DVI adaptor cable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gandtee said:

If USB2 (which is likely is) that will be too slow to run normal HD video but for basic text operations will likely work (but all you would need is the cheapest TV set with HDMI input as anything better would not be used).  USB3 is required for a good video output. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes. You would need to know what input ports the monitor has and then get an adapter cable. Probably USB to HDMI and with the age of the computer check it is USB 2.0 compatible. If you only have one USB port may have to use a USB hub to maintain an available USB port.

I use a small TV rather than a monitor, good bit cheaper, and as my laptop does not have HDMI output I have Displayport to DVI adaptor cable.

Thanks for the advice. I have USB 3 so maybe I'm in business. If I'm successful I'll report back. ????

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thanks for the advice. I have USB 3 so maybe I'm in business. If I'm successful I'll report back. ????

USB3 should be able to provide a very good image - make sure the USB/HDMI converter you buy is rated USB3  (most are).  Choice of monitor may depend on placement of old unit (just behind might be good to save on room).

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

A more detailed explanation can be seen at this link. If you read through you will see that USB 3.0 allows a higher bandwidth giving a higher video quality.

If you have a USB-C port even better still, supposed to be better than HDMI.

Good luck.

https://www.etechnophiles.com/usb-port-for-video-monitor/

• Like 1

Just buy a new free-standing monitor.  You'll probably need one with both VGA port (for your Lenovo) and HDMI (for your next computer).

This is the first one the popped up on Lazada. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/expose-3-19201080-monitor-238-75hz-hd-ips-desktop-gaming-led-i3341314669-s16600392328.html?

If budget is tight, you can get used/refurbished from the IT guys at your local computer center.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I promised to report the outcome of my screen fading problem to those who kindly offered advice. My Hi-tech nephew got the cables and connectors required and zilch. It didn't work. He said "I told you so. The Acer ZC one piece PC cannot support a monitor. It only having USB 3 ports." Ah well. Back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway.  

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

As I promised to report the outcome of my screen fading problem to those who kindly offered advice. My Hi-tech nephew got the cables and connectors required and zilch. It didn't work. He said "I told you so. The Acer ZC one piece PC cannot support a monitor. It only having USB 3 ports." Ah well. Back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway.  

Lets be clear he got a video USB3 to HDMI box with cables (not just cables) and installed any required software (which might be a bit hard if can not see current screen)?

Perhaps move to a cheap mini computer (you have keyboard/mouse) and attach to TV or monitor.  Should do everything you need for many years. and take up no more space than the all in one.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

Lets be clear he got a video USB3 to HDMI box with cables (not just cables) and installed any required software (which might be a bit hard if can not see current screen)?

Perhaps move to a cheap mini computer (you have keyboard/mouse) and attach to TV or monitor.  Should do everything you need for many years. and take up no more space than the all in one.

I have a USB 3 and Adapter. Plus a USB to HDMI cable. The adapter comes with an installation DVD. My DVD player does not work. I think I erased it with my ignorant fiddling a couple of years ago. I now realise that not being able to download the installation is the crux of my problem. The other problem is old age, ignorance and not having complete understanding of the Thai language. Maybe by nephew has told me what the problem was already but I hadn't looked through the kit and seen the installation instructions myself. Thankyou for your most welcome advice. I'll now try to sort out my DVD player???????

6 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I have a USB 3 and Adapter. Plus a USB to HDMI cable. The adapter comes with an installation DVD. My DVD player does not work. I think I erased it with my ignorant fiddling a couple of years ago. I now realise that not being able to download the installation is the crux of my problem. The other problem is old age, ignorance and not having complete understanding of the Thai language. Maybe by nephew has told me what the problem was already but I hadn't looked through the kit and seen the installation instructions myself. Thankyou for your most welcome advice. I'll now try to sort out my DVD player???????

The driver and other installation files you can mostly download from the Internet - no need for the DVD or CD then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

It might be easier to transfer the DVD to USB stick and install from that.  Suspect most shops could do for a low cost or perhaps your nephew could do if he has access to a player.  

But at some point it might just be logical to buy a cheap mini PC that can be attached to back of TV or monitor and start over.  Below is example of what is available for about 4k (and should take care of any normal home computer tasks if not a gamer or doing major video work).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-pc-alldocube-winbox-intel-n4100-4gb128gb-type-c-1-i3911100354-s15035089379.html

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, Mickeymaus said:

It looks pretty much like the same problem. Normally it should smell like vinegar. Does it smell like this? 

If so the polarizer film of the screen dissolves. This is a thin plastic layer on top of the glass. It can be replaced. But similar to screen protectors on phones it is critical that it is done bubble and dust free.

I have a new monitor in the meantime. But the old one was great and I will try to find someone here in Pattaya to fix it. At this occasion - does anyone know a repair shop that could do it? 

try pattaya2u back of tutcom

On 11/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, blackshadow said:

try pattaya2u back of tutcom

Long time ago I send them an email and never got a response. But to replace this polarizer film is not a standard repair. Will ask TV repair shops but have little hope there too.

It was an expensive (more than 10000 Baht) and good (as long as it worked...) monitor. Perhaps before I throw it away I will try it myself. There are enough videos on YouTube that explain how to do it (repairing - not how to throw it away ????). Of course I could buy a cheap monitor as second monitor. But somehow I see this as a challenge to repair it. On the other hand I am very lazy... ????

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, lopburi3 said:

It might be easier to transfer the DVD to USB stick and install from that.  Suspect most shops could do for a low cost or perhaps your nephew could do if he has access to a player.  

But at some point it might just be logical to buy a cheap mini PC that can be attached to back of TV or monitor and start over.  Below is example of what is available for about 4k (and should take care of any normal home computer tasks if not a gamer or doing major video work).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-pc-alldocube-winbox-intel-n4100-4gb128gb-type-c-1-i3911100354-s15035089379.html

I got the drive down loaded to a memory stick. Tried to run it but no luck. My nephew's friend has offered to make up an inexpensive computer using the monitor I have. Thanks for your advice. I'm just letting you know the outcome as promised. Merry Christmas.