Computer screen

Gandtee

I have an Acer Z Aspire, Win 75 basic desktop computer that my son treated to when it first came out wayback. OK. I'm waiting for the comments of ;It's old get rid of it and buy a new one.' I'm 89 and think this one will see me out if I can get this problem fixed. My computer screen has started to fade to grey and word definition getting fainter. Is there a way to fix this by system adjustment or is it a computer repair job? Any suggestions in layman's language would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My 16 year old acer monitor was working fine until recently when I spilt some coffee on it and made the mistake of cleaning the stain with alcohol gel instead of just warm water. Result coffee stain gone and worse stain left by alcohol so that when screen was showing anything dark there would be a big faded blob in the middle.

As others say . Solution ....new acer monitor 3500 baht

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

306540811_2936665799970154_62517771481839080_n.jpg

It looks pretty much like the same problem. Normally it should smell like vinegar. Does it smell like this? 

If so the polarizer film of the screen dissolves. This is a thin plastic layer on top of the glass. It can be replaced. But similar to screen protectors on phones it is critical that it is done bubble and dust free.

I have a new monitor in the meantime. But the old one was great and I will try to find someone here in Pattaya to fix it. At this occasion - does anyone know a repair shop that could do it? 

• Like 1

You could try high contrast mode - that might make it more readable.  Believe it is an option even on Windows 7 (which believe you have).

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Ease of Access > High contrast. Turn on the toggle under Turn on high contrast. Then, choose a theme from the drop-down menu.

I use black background with yellow text on Windows 10 and makes everything much more readable.  Not sure if you have enough display remaining but could give it a try.  Can switch on/off with push of Alt/Shift/Pt Screen keys at same time.

Other than that a new monitor would seem to be best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

You could try high contrast mode - that might make it more readable.  Believe it is an option even on Windows 7 (which believe you have).

I use black background with yellow text on Windows 10 and makes everything much more readable.  Not sure if you have enough display remaining but could give it a try.  Can switch on/off with push of Alt/Shift/Pt Screen keys at same time.

Thankyou.

Thankyou.

I try to look up "Acer Z Aspire" but I didn't find anything.

Is that an all in one computer - CPU and monitor all in one case?

Or is there a separate PC (many call it CPU) and a monitor?

If they are separate components, then just buy a new monitor and within a minute all will be fine again.

If it is all in one then look if there is a video output somewhere. If yes, then you can connect a (new) external screen and all will be fine.

If you don't know maybe find the label on the computer and make a picture and post it here. Then we can look it up online.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gandtee said:

306540811_2936665799970154_62517771481839080_n.jpg

Many have said about getting a new monitor but it looks like an all in one to me.

You haven't said where you live but around me there are a few places like Tukcom and Central that have IT areas. I would suggest initially that you take it to be checked as it may be something that can be easily replaced. 

If however it is the display itself I woulg go along with the previous suggestion that you consider an additional display connected to the HDMI port. I use a small 22 inch TV with my very old HP laptop. The TV cost about 2700 baht whereas a monitor is likely to be about 4500 baht.

Unless there are other problems there is no real need to replace the computer side of the device.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Many have said about getting a new monitor but it looks like an all in one to me.

You haven't said where you live but around me there are a few places like Tukcom and Central that have IT areas. I would suggest initially that you take it to be checked as it may be something that can be easily replaced. 

If however it is the display itself I woulg go along with the previous suggestion that you consider an additional display connected to the HDMI port. I use a small 22 inch TV with my very old HP laptop. The TV cost about 2700 baht whereas a monitor is likely to be about 4500 baht.

Unless there are other problems there is no real need to replace the computer side of the device.

That is great if one piece and actually has HDMI output - my Lenovo one piece has no video output of any type.  ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is great if one piece and actually has HDMI output - my Lenovo one piece has no video output of any type.  ????

Wow, in all my years never seen a computer that has not had a video output in some form or other. As far as I can see all current Lenovo all in ones have an HDMI output.

My old HP laptop does not have HDMI, it has a display port and had to get an appropriate cable. Same with my Lenovo notebook, that has mini HDMI and had to get a cable for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Wow, in all my years never seen a computer that has not had a video output in some form or other. As far as I can see all current Lenovo all in ones have an HDMI output.

My old HP laptop does not have HDMI, it has a display port and had to get an appropriate cable. Same with my Lenovo notebook, that has mini HDMI and had to get a cable for that.

It is Lenovo IdeaCenter B310 from 2010 with 23" touch screen bought from Lenovo at Fortune Town when first came out.  Won't die so can't justify replacement but have changed to corded keyboard and mouse.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It is Lenovo IdeaCenter B310 from 2010 with 23" touch screen bought from Lenovo at Fortune Town when first came out.  Won't die so can't justify replacement but have changed to corded keyboard and mouse.

Yes, not a good era for video out, DVI was not going anywhere and HDMI still in its infancy. Lenovo may have opted to drop the port in favour of some of the newer  features they were bringing in. I had laptop from around then and that had an S-video port.

However there is a workaround, you can get an adapter USB to HDMI to run another monitor from one of the usb ports. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why Acer? any monitor should work on any PC

Yes but check connectivity with such old hardware. Even though adapters exist but can be a hassle. But honestly it only happened to me when connecting multiple screens.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Good advice. Yes. It is an all in one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Good advice. Yes. It is an all in one.

Many seem to think it is very easy to go out and buy a new computer, not so when you are getting on a bit. It can be th onset of a period of extreme fustration.

A couple of years ago I had to get another and bought a refurbished 10 year old HP Elitebook.  Stuck in a bit more RAM and an SSD, good enough for me. Unfortunately it came with Win 10 and that was a tear your hair out job for some time. The ability to remember how to deal with the differences diminishes with age, something some seem to ignore.

I am a great believer in sticking with what you know until there is no option. 

Good  luck.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, KannikaP said:

Why Acer? any monitor should work on any PC

My Lap Top is an Acer, so I keep it in the family, and yes any make will also do with the correct connection cables.

Win ????

Edited by Kan Win
add text

3 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

My Lap Top is an Acer, so I keep it in the family, and yes any make will also do.

Win ????

Actually believe using HD tv sets is often a viable option these days (and also cheaper/duel purpose).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kan Win said:

My Lap Top is an Acer, so I keep it in the family, and yes any make will also do with the correct connection cables.

Win ????

How long have you been using PCs. Most recent monitors are HDMI, or older ones VGA, although I doubt you can buy that anymore.

And what are the old schoolboy sayings on your signature?

Actually believe using HD tv sets is often a viable option these days (and also cheaper/duel purpose).

Actually UHD or4K are the viable options these days, which will work with almost any PC, making them DUAL purpose.

• Like 1

I think I know the problem. 

Old screens tend to burn the colour screens pixels and burn an image into the screen.

Years ago I worked at a TV station and all the monitors had the Test Pattern burnt into the screen.

So, today I went to have my wheel alignment checked and their old screen was grey where all the same car wheel alignment images had been displayed.

So I think that's the problem.  It will just keep slowely getting worse. 

If you're only intrested in black and white fonts, then turn the brightness right up, the font size up and the contrast down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Many seem to think it is very easy to go out and buy a new computer, not so when you are getting on a bit. It can be th onset of a period of extreme fustration.

A couple of years ago I had to get another and bought a refurbished 10 year old HP Elitebook.  Stuck in a bit more RAM and an SSD, good enough for me. Unfortunately it came with Win 10 and that was a tear your hair out job for some time. The ability to remember how to deal with the differences diminishes with age, something some seem to ignore.

I am a great believer in sticking with what you know until there is no option. 

Good  luck.

More good advice.????

• Like 1