Ottawa Thai Embassy Not Helpful

6 hours ago, Des1 said:

Each entry will give you 75 days

Again You are harping on the same thing. Each entry will give me 60-day if I enter visa exempt in April 2023. But I will enter using a TV so it gives me 90-day. Two land border runs will give me another 4 months. So, 7-months. That is my plan for 6-month stay in Thailand. It gives me one month wiggle room. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, Des1 said:

Ok, I had the same problem. My flight was booked and i did not have a visa. I entered Thailand Visa-exempt. This gives me 45 days...if necessary another 30 day extension. Still waiting for Ottawa Thai embassy to say yes or no.

I did the same. I only lost 65 CAD on my single tourist visa at least. Something is wrong at the Ottawa embassy.  So visa exempt entry and extensions and border bounces are the workaround for now. 

On 10/29/2022 at 8:34 PM, Canadian Snowbird said:

Yup, it's making me wonder if they are intentionally trying to deter tourists from returning, or if the new online process was just really poorly thought out and is unintentionally deterring "snowbirds" like myself from returning for the full winter. Either scenario is just poor public relations and will not help their tourism to recover. 

Do you live in Ottawa or Toronto?  If you do, one thing you might try is going to the embassy or the consulate.

Besides that, if nothing happens there, then by all means, come here and get the VOA they are simple to receive.

As to staying longer, it is not that difficult to get them extended.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:29 PM, kwonitoy said:

What city are you from or close to? A consulate might be a better choice

I found the Ottawa Thai embassy to be slow same as you

I've used the thai consulate in Edmonton before, but I see that they've closed shop

Vancouver and Toronto have them though

The Toronto consulate has closed. Only Ottawa and Vancouver now. 

Well I had no problems with Ottawa and got my E-Visa about 2 weeks ago and depart in 1.5 weeks).  They had said to make sure you applied 2 months before and it could take up to 20 working days to get approved.  It was over the 20 days, about 24 maybe, but got it.  They also reminded me with the application that they would contact me directly if any problems arose and so with no word from them, meant it was likely going alright / no discrepancies  The Ottawa office always got back to me through fakebook DM's a day or 2 after inquiring about anything.  No real problems.

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, Canadian Snowbird said:

I'm in Kingston, which is closer to Ottawa. I used the Toronto consulate about 6 years ago and they sent my passport back through the wrong courier company and barely got it in time for that trip, so haven't been back since. 

No need to submit actual passports now. E-Visa is mailed to you/print it off/done!

On 10/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

Be aware that currently visa exempt entries are 45 days.

Also border bounce for visa exempt entries is 2 per calendar year.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days.

Plenty of options now.

My recommendation right now is to enter visa exempt. 

And if coming visa exempt, get a throwaway ticket  to board your airline if your return flight is 5-6 months later.  Have a nice stay. Better than Canadian winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Well I had no problems with Ottawa and got my E-Visa about 2 weeks ago and depart in 1.5 weeks).  They had said to make sure you applied 2 months before and it could take up to 20 working days to get approved.  It was over the 20 days, about 24 maybe, but got it.  They also reminded me with the application that they would contact me directly if any problems arose and so with no word from them, meant it was likely going alright / no discrepancies  The Ottawa office always got back to me through fakebook DM's a day or 2 after inquiring about anything.  No real problems.

Good to hear. They actually corresponded through Facebook? Maybe that was my mistake. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:07 AM, ultramarine said:

The Toronto consulate has closed. Only Ottawa and Vancouver now. 

Imagine the shock for me today as I found this out. The consulate I have been going to for years has closed down. The only choice is Ottawa and Vancouver and it can not be done in person anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Wow,  they require a bunch of ducumens for a simple marriage visa now.

4. Financial evidence - do I upload my Canadian bank statement?

6. Proof of accomodation in Thailand. I rent a condo, my wife is on lease. Will this do? What a hell.

8. Residence permit in a country in which visa application is submitted in case that applicant is not a national of the country in which visa application is submitted

11. Applicant is required to upload a document that can verify his current residency. What. I live with my wife in Thailand.

I can't simply skip through these. It requires me to upload the documents.

Help!

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

4. Financial evidence - do I upload my Canadian bank statement?

6. Proof of accomodation in Thailand. I rent a condo, my wife is on lease. Will this do? What a hell.

8. Residence permit in a country in which visa application is submitted in case that applicant is not a national of the country in which visa application is submitted

11. Applicant is required to upload a document that can verify his current residency. What. I live with my wife in Thailand.

4. That is at least 20k baht or the equivalent in another currency proven by a bank statement.

6. That will be accepted.

8. A copy of your passport photo page since you are a citizen of Canada.

11. Proof of where you are residing in Canada so they know whether it will be processed by the embassy or the consulate in Vancouver.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 3:34 AM, mushroomdave said:

I just checked this forum again and saw your post. Did you apply for a METV? Regarding the forms you submitted, how did you enter your travel plans, did you show flight tickets or anything like that? I started the process Oct 01. On the 12th they asked for travel information, an itinerary. At first I just sent an outline of my plans to exit/enter Thailand, then followed up with an actual purchased ticket for one exit.

I am still waiting. I entered Thailand visa exempt so I am good untill the end of the year. I just wonder how one person can get the visa quickly and another person waits so long?

On 11/3/2022 at 8:58 PM, Canadian Snowbird said:

I'm in Thailand now. I was able to enter on a "visa exempt" (yes I finally got it correct this time). No problems entering, but still no METV yet or any response from the Thai embassy in Ottawa. It will result in an added trip for me outside of the country, in one form or another. I've spoken to others who were able to get their visas quickly through the consulate in Vancouver, so whatever the problem is, outside of the ludicrous information they request, it is specific to those processing the visa applications at the Thai Embassy in Ottawa ... short staffed, or just unable to cope with the volume of applications or information requirements I guess. For applicants, however, it means added frustrations and added costs. So much for TAT's promotions to come spend more time in Thailand. 

I hear you. I am still waiting as well. Good to the end of the year with a visa exempt.

• 2 weeks later...

An update if anyone is interested.

I just received (finally) my METV from the Thai Embassy in Ottawa.

How they managed to send it to me at 3 a.m Monday morning in Ottawa I have no idea.

They told me in a previous email they have received MANY visa requests, thus the delay.

I started the process Oct. 01, on the 12th they requested more information on my travel plans.

This, I think, is what confused many of us. They wanted a PDF document. I think now it did not matter the content, just the document format to plug into their system.

They never replied to emails saying documents had been received, so we were left wondering. They should have, like other embassies, acknowledged receipt of information.

Oh well. lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Des1 said:

An update if anyone is interested.

I just received (finally) my METV from the Thai Embassy in Ottawa.

How they managed to send it to me at 3 a.m Monday morning in Ottawa I have no idea.

They told me in a previous email they have received MANY visa requests, thus the delay.

I started the process Oct. 01, on the 12th they requested more information on my travel plans.

This, I think, is what confused many of us. They wanted a PDF document. I think now it did not matter the content, just the document format to plug into their system.

They never replied to emails saying documents had been received, so we were left wondering. They should have, like other embassies, acknowledged receipt of information.

Oh well. lesson learned.

Good to hear and thanks for the update. I'm still waiting for mine so that makes me hopeful it may finally come through in the next week. Not sure what the problem has been, but they've sure messed things up for some of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Good to hear and thanks for the update. I'm still waiting for mine so that makes me hopeful it may finally come through in the next week. Not sure what the problem has been, but they've sure messed things up for some of us.

From what they said to me in an email it is just a case of too many applications ... and i guess not enoght staff.

4 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

It means no approval yet. Pending means they still haven't gotten around to it. 

Yes, I understand that. I am just wondering if that means all the documents are approved or they may still ask for something.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:46 PM, Celsius said:

Yes, I understand that. I am just wondering if that means all the documents are approved or they may still ask for something.

Your guess on that one is as good as any other. I just received an email from the embassy saying I no longer need to resubmit on the 4 items they asked me to submit 34 days ago, 43 days after my original submission .... and my METV application is still pending. All I can do is shake my head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

So if a enter Thailand on visa exempt and meanwhile my visa gets approved, can I exit to say Laos and use the non o evisa issued in Ottawa and get 90 days?

A few people have reported the were able to do it.

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

How is this evisa issued anyway?

When approved they send a email with e visa attached to it. The you need to print it out to show immigration when you arrive and to the airline when boarding your flight.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Received it this very moment.

It doesn't look anything like visa, but I'm happy.

Timeline for anyone that cares.

Submitted November 9th

Documents approved November 15th

Delivered November 28th

Are you able to share a photo of it with the class? Sensitive info redacted of course. I've yet to see any pics of the new e-visa.

Ps. Please ????????

Edited by Lemsta69

On 11/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, Des1 said:

I just checked this forum again and saw your post. Did you apply for a METV? Regarding the forms you submitted, how did you enter your travel plans, did you show flight tickets or anything like that? I started the process Oct 01. On the 12th they asked for travel information, an itinerary. At first I just sent an outline of my plans to exit/enter Thailand, then followed up with an actual purchased ticket for one exit.

I am still waiting. I entered Thailand visa exempt so I am good untill the end of the year. I just wonder how one person can get the visa quickly and another person waits so long?

Single entry 60-day is what I got. Will extend for 30 more days to match my 90 day stay. As for travel plans, there wasn't a real question as I remember. One of the 10-12 things I had to show was the flight ticket of course, and I just showed proof from my apartment here where I rent year-round.  Again, I contacted them a few times but they didn't contact me directly about anything which made me happy as I knew it was all going okay like they said. 

• Like 1