What do I need for the bed of my pickup?

alien365

I'm buying my first pickup (4-door) this week and wondering what I need for the back. I see tonneau covers here seem to be cheap velcro things or very expensive electrical ones. I thought about a 250l box that sits in the bed but then the cover can't be used (according to Lazada sellers). There's nets, bungee chords, s-snap hooks. I'm not really sure where to start. I'd like to pop the shopping in the back, a few 20kg boxes of water, luggage when picking family up from the airport, and sand/soil/gravel when needed. Naturally I'd like things to stay dry, safe and secure. What do you guys use to do all these random jobs? Will I need all of them? 

I have a rigid cover - if I want to haul something oversize I have hooks mounted on the roof of the carport.

Use ratchet straps to lift off the cover enuf to drive away.

When job finished back under cover, lower, secure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

i  have a roll up Velcro secured cover, with supporting bars, 7 years old now and have changed the Velcro for new once, 

Does water ever get inside? And do you think they are thick enough to stop the neighbourhood cats from putting holes in them? 

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Does water ever get inside? And do you think they are thick enough to stop the neighbourhood cats from putting holes in them? 

no water,

depends on the quality of the material.

i bought mine from Bangkok, but when i had new Velcro fitted the label was removed, but the material was from USA, after 7 years still looks well

We use one of those large ice boxes in the back.  Handy to keep the shopping dry and cool, even frozen stuff.  It can be locked with a padlock and we also use a chain to the same padlock so the box cant be nicked.  Box can easily be lifted out if need to cart sand etc.  Very cheap for what they are and very handy as we live remote and have to travel for some shopping needs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I have a velcro one and depending on how much it rains its usually dry but every so often I might get a very small amount of rain in when we have a good storm.

Lots on Lazada for around 2000 baht.

Used to have a carryboy  version on a Vigo which was excellent and had an electric lift but I prefer the roll up velcro one for ease of use .

Too much hassle to remove the lid if I ever needed bigger items moved.

Saying that it was a good excuse to not help out some annoying relatives. 

Back in Australia I always had utes (pick-ups).....and hence a lot of friends too lol!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

About two dozen Myanmarese workers should do it!  You'll fit right in!

I checked the pickup parked next to me today to see what they had in the back of their truck. All I saw was about 10 loose empty bottles of beer in the back and an umbrella. How some can just drive around like that I have no idea. 

Tradies in Australia usually have large locked boxes to protect their tools and equipment.

Here, if the OP wants to use a tonneau cover, I'd suggest only putting in stuff that is not worth stealing.

A tray liner is good for abrasive loads such as bricks and firewood.

I would recommend putting in a fairly heavy load, the spring setups of pickups are designed for them. Leave the tray empty, the vehicle will be bouncing around on any rough roads like a pea on a drum.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Tradies in Australia usually have large locked boxes to protect their tools and equipment.

Here, if the OP wants to use a tonneau cover, I'd suggest only putting in stuff that is not worth stealing.

A tray liner is good for abrasive loads such as bricks and firewood.

I would recommend putting in a fairly heavy load, the spring setups of pickups are designed for them. Leave the tray empty, the vehicle will be bouncing around on any rough roads like a pea on a drum.

I was initially looking at something like this that can be locked and secured but then the tonneau cover can't be used with it. If I could switch them relatively easy I'd do that. 

I was also considering adding some weight, but I'll see what it's like on my local roads and highways first. I had a test drive for a kilometre or so and it felt pretty smooth, but if it gets bumpy some sand may be needed in the back. Then there would also be a problem with buying that box as the sand needs to go closest to the cab for stability. 

Screenshot_2022-10-31-17-28-03-201_com.lazada.android.jpg

9 hours ago, rwill said:

Carryboy is also an option.  But then you can't put tall stuff in the back.  Like if you wanted to move a refrigerator.

yeah, I had a lockable one with a light when open.... stored it in friends shed... took it off, was banging my passengers in the head over bumps

5 hours ago, alien365 said:

I checked the pickup parked next to me today to see what they had in the back of their truck. All I saw was about 10 loose empty bottles of beer in the back and an umbrella. How some can just drive around like that I have no idea. 

Yes 10 bottles is hardly worth getting wet for.

18 hours ago, alien365 said:

The umbrella is a must have, for keeping the bottles cool.

The 10 empties were probably only the breakfast session; do another count later.